“Great hotel!..not so good breakfast/restaurant staff..”
Review of Hilton Adelaide

Ranked #18 of 56 Hotels in Adelaide
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Stayed here in April for 2 nights. Arrived at 10.30am and understandably our room wasn't ready. The very nice reception staff upgraded us to a king suite so that we could book in straight away...great service! The room itself was very nice and modern, spotlessly clean, nice bathroom products, and had a great view out over the square. The only one thing I could say about the room was that the air-con seemed to turn off in the middle of the night. Now for my gripe..we didn't have breakfast included so decided to go down and order off the a-la-carte menu one morning. When we were seated at a table a staff member came over to pour coffee but was quickly told we were'nt having the buffet we were ordering breakfast. That was fine, however, we sat there for a good 10 minutes and no-one approached us again to take an order. We were completely ignored, no table water, nothing. We decided to leave and go down the street for breakfast, as we walked past the restaurant reception desk we advised the guy there (who originally sat us at the table) that we hadn't been served yet so we were going. Unbelievably, he shrugged his shoulders, didn't say a word, and just let us walk out. I was astounded! The rest of the hotel staff were great so it's a shame this happened because you always remember the bad moments.. Apart from that incident, this is a great place to stay in a great location.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
PNorsell, General Manager at Hilton Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2014

Dear LnT291,

Thank you for your comments.

I am pleased that you were happy with your room and your upgrade to a King Suite although I note your comments regarding the air conditioner. When the unit is switched in the auto position and the selected temperature is reached the unit will cut out.

We are in a very convenient location close to many fine restaurants and shopping areas and I am pleased you found this suited your requirements on this trip.

I understand your concerns with the service you received from the team in the restaurant. This is not the service we strive to achieve. Although I cannot turn back the clock please rest assured your feedback has been used as a training tool to ensure more care is taken by the team to provide the service you quite rightly expect from a Hilton property.

I hope you will allow me the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.

Hilton Adelaide

Write a ReviewReviews (2,422)

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Had a quick overnight trip to Adelaide. Great location because just around the corner is a street full of restaurants and a short walk int the other direction puts you in the centre of the CBD. This hotel is quite old but the rooms have been completely renovated including new bathrooms (not just a tidy up with the old bath and toilet, all new), but there are showing signs of wear & tear already. Comfortable beds and choice of pillows. Check-in & check-out can be a bit slow. The front of the hotel is a shambles - cars all over the place, had to get out of the taxi down the street and walk a short distance upon arrival because everything was blocked. Generally good and close to Hilton standard - about as good as there is in Adelaide for a hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
PNorsell, General Manager at Hilton Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear Noodnut,

I appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay with us and I am pleased that you found the location convenient and you enjoyed the many restaurants close by.

Some major renovations have taken place in the hotel including room upgrades and a new bar on the Lobby Level with further improvements to be done in the near future. I am pleased that you enjoyed your upgraded room on this occasion.

Due to the location of the hotel we do have limited space out the front of the hotel sometimes getting very busy. I apologise for the inconvenience this caused making it necessary for you to exit your taxi and walk to the entrance.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

This hotel is the most overpriced hotel I've every stayed in. I paid $272 on a special deal on bookings.com and despite it being advertised as having marble bathrooms, it doesn't and the room is very old. Carpet is old, bathroom fixtures are all of 3 star quality. If I paid $150 I won't complain but it's all relative to how much you pay. It's so not worth it.

I definitely will not come back here again. I used the Hilton Honors card for the first time, if this hotel is any indication for a Hilton hotel, I won't want to stay in other Hilton hotels.

2  Thank MeiMoo
PNorsell, General Manager at Hilton Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear MeiMoo,

Thank you for your honest opinion of Hilton Adelaide.

I was concerned to note that you were disappointed in your stay.

We have recently carried out a refurbishment including the upgrade of most of the bathrooms however this is a very large project which will be carried out over time to limit any inconvenience to our guests. I did note your comments regarding the value of your stay. Our prices are closely monitored and consistently updated to reflect the current market.

Your feedback is important to us which helps us to monitor and improve the service and facilities that we provide to our valued guests.

I hope you will allow me the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

The hotel is located on Victoria Square next to the Adelaide market, next door is a Coles supermarket then China Town. Opposite its main door is the Glenelg tram which will take you to Rundle Mall if you dont want to walk the 5 minutes to get there yourself.

The rooms have been renovated into modern styles, it is a shame that they left the bathrooms out of the renovations. You cant fault the bathrooms as they are clean and functional but are dated.

When we arrived well prior to check in at 14:00 reception advised that they could get us a room, but if we waited that they were going to upgrade us to a better room. With an offer like that and no need for a room as we only wanted to dump our luggage.

When we did get into the room the best thing about it was the beds. One of the most comfortable beds that I have had in a hotel. Like Goldilocks it wasn't too hard or too soft, it was just right, A great night's sleep was had by all.

Breakfast was included in my room and the buffet was your classic high end hotel buffet. Different stations spread around the room so that depending on what you were after, there wasn't a crowd.

All of the staff were friendly and courteous. One guest asked a staff member about getting some tomato sauce and was told that all of the sauces were on the buffet where they had got the food from, but that they would go and get it for them. It was informatively and politely delivered and friendly in the staff members manner.

All of the staff that I dealt with were great, particularly the doorman.

With a taxi rank outside at the market, finding a cab is always easy.

I will certainly go back again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Nibzee
PNorsell, General Manager at Hilton Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear Nibzee,

I appreciate you passing on your comments about your recent stay with us.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your visit and the central location of the hotel allowing you to move around the city with ease. We are fortunate to be surrounded by many conveniences such as Coles Supermarket, China Town and Central Market.

Most of our guest rooms and bathrooms have been renovated now and I am delighted that you enjoyed your upgrade and the comfortable bed provided.

Our Executive Chef, Lloyd Cremer and his talented team create a wide range of items for the breakfast buffet showcasing some of the finest local produce available. I am pleased this was to your liking and you found the service from the team to be of a high standard.

Our doorman, Hugh is a great asset to the hotel always willing to assist with bags and taxis with a welcoming smile.

I appreciate your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

After reading a number of reviews which said the hotel was old and shabby I was a little concerned about booking for a work trip for a few colleagues and myself - however this hotel is absolutely fantastic!
The service from staff was great for the duration of the stay and the welcome from the door man was top notch. The check in/check out experiences were fast, efficient and polite and could not have been done any better. My room on the 8th floor was lovely and modern and had the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in at any hotel. The toiletries provided were top class and the bathroom was luxurious.
The Hilton is perfectly positioned being so close to Gouger Street for restaurants etc and centrally located within the city itself. I had no issues with noise from either the street or other rooms.
I paid a very reasonable price for rooms here and received service and quality way above other hotels charging the same amount (and higher) for their accommodation. If I was to be REALLY picky about things then the service at breakfast was a little haphazard and not on the ball .... but honestly if something so trivial was going to affect how I rate this hotel then I'd be an idiot and you shouldn't listen to me anyway!
I Highly recommend Hilton Adelaide!

Room Tip: The rooms we had on the 8th floor and above were updated'/renovated.

Dear Rebecca B,

I am thrilled that your stay at Hilton Adelaide exceeded your expectations.

Our team take every effort to ensure our valued guests feel welcome from the moment they arrive at the hotel. I am so pleased that you were happy with the fast, efficient service provided to you.

We have recently upgraded many of our guest rooms ensuring the amenities and bedding is of a high quality.

The location of the hotel is very convenient close to many popular restaurants on Gouger Street and within walking distance to the Central Market and China Town.

I am delighted that your work trip was comfortable and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Lovely service, good location, value for money. Food ok but not amazing. Staff very helpful. Big rooms. Recommend for business travel and couples. Not sure right for families. Taxi line up straight out the front which is very handy and helpful.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear NicoleFSYD,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

I am pleased that you found the service was of a high standard and you were pleased with the location of the hotel and value for money paid.

I appreciate your recommendations and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

The Hilton was great. The staff were friendly and helpful at all times. The room was a good size, very clean and the bed was so comfortable. We had no problems with noise. Also, a must is The Collins Bar and have a "Ping Pong". Devine.I would not stay anywhere else. Loved it!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking Victoria Square - great view.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Marissa C,

I am delighted that you found the Hotel to be of the standard you would expect of a Hilton property and you enjoyed your stay with us. Our team are very keen to ensure you have a pleasant stay and I am pleased that you found them to be helpful and friendly.

I am glad that you found your room suitable and you were able to enjoy our newly opened Collins Bar and I look forward to seeing you back here again soon.