Open today: 10:00 - 17:00

from US$98.02
from US$15.35
from US$12.31
1,406 results
All reviews giant squid stuffed animals aboriginal culture egyptian room pacific islands few hours interactive displays great collection school holidays australia biodiversity megafauna antarctica boomerang galleries geographic sa
Selected filters
Reviewed 28 September 2019

There are many surprises to see! The museum has lifts or stairs to reach all the floors. Don't miss the very top floor. I enjoyed spending the day there and enjoying dinner there after the museum had closed to others, the Indian Pacific guests were special! The tour is suitable for all ages. Adelaide is a beautiful city surrounded by a park. Enjoy!

Date of experience: September 2019
Reviewed 23 September 2019

As part of our Indian Pacific railway trip we had the option of a visit to the South Australian museum in Adelaide. What a fun time we had with our own tour guide and private viewing followed by a beautiful meal in one of the upper galleries. Lynne Stevens was our guide and she was so engaging and inclusive of everyone in our group you really got caught up in the stories she was telling. A guided tour is without doubt the best way to get the most out of your visit. With so much on display you really must take the time when visiting the museum.

Date of experience: July 2019
Reviewed 15 September 2019

been there 2-3 times....main attraction is the aboriginal gallary with tools pictures and goods of ancient time..whic gives knowledge of their great history

Date of experience: June 2019
Reviewed 13 September 2019 via mobile

Excellent displays for Mawson, indiginous culture, ancient Egypt and mammals. Very well laid out and lots of information. Well worth a visit.

Date of experience: September 2019
2  Thank Megan S
Reviewed 10 September 2019

When I’m in a new city, one of the things I always enjoy doing is visiting the natural history museum.

My visit to The Museum of South Australia very much exceeded my expectations.

Entry was free and there was quite a lot of content. There are 3 levels with a mezzanine. The staff were all very knowledgable and had many helpful suggestions about things to see in the museum and the rest of Adelaide during science week.

I visited on a Saturday and decided to attend two of the free daily public museum tours. These were 1 hour in length and I really enjoyed the content and pace. The tour guides' passion, excitement and enthusiasm for the topics covered made for a very special experience.

Lynne led the museum highlights tour. As well as imparting many fun scientific facts, she gave great context to the exhibitions and their significance, particularly in relation to South Australia's history.
The tour included answers to many things I had been wondering about. Such as how parts of the museum came to be and how the animals in the impressive taxidermy collections had been sourced (from Adelaide zoo over the last 100 years or so).

I had such a great time that I returned an hour later for a specialised tour of the Australian Aboriginal Cultures gallery led by Alexandra, who was such a delight.
It was a fascinating tour exploring many indigenous technologies, covering the innovative use of many tools, plants, and other artifacts.
The tour was very helpful in navigating and engaging with the large collection and giving it context.

I was only going to visit into the museum for an hour but had such a great time I ended up spending the entire afternoon here. Thank you for the great experience.

Date of experience: August 2019