We booked a hotel room rather than a studio.
The hotel is close to the market precinct and chinatown. It is convenient for shopping, however as it was the long weekend before the Queen's Birthday, the shops closed early at 5pm and did not open till 10am the next morning, so the only alternative for breakfast was the nearby Hungry Jacks.
We called ahead to inform the staff we would be late due to a long trip from Melbourne and they were accommodating. The reception was friendly even as we checked in at 5pm on Sat.
Our room was on the second floor with a window, so it was not too difficult to climb up the stairs.
The room was clean and tidy, and sufficient space for a double bed. A pre-packed breakfast pack was provided in the room and during room service each morning, which was a pleasant surprise.
Bedsheets and toilets and towels were clean and acceptable.
Television could receive most of the free channels.
Cupboards had sufficient room to store our clothes.
First gripe is the shower screen in the standing bathroom which was missing, so a shower curtain was used to replace it, and did not cover all the way to the floor, causing water to splash to the rest of the bathroom outside the shower area, making the tiled floor wet and slippery. A real potential safety hazard. Fortunately we brought slippers so we could dry our feet before stepping onto the adjoining bedroom.
Second gripe is, the stainless steel kettle was rusty. It is hard to imagine, but stainless steel do rust if there is standing water. I feedback to the reception and they said they would try to find a replacement kettle (if there was one), but they didn't. So despite the tea and other beverages provided in the room, I could not even make a hot drink. Reception told me it may not be rust, but rather calcification deposits, though I was pretty sure it was rust inside. I am not sure if they lacked empathy, when my point is I will not drink from water that has been boiled in a rusty kettle! When I checked out and told them about the rusty kettle, they said 'is it it the metal one?' which shows they already knew about the problem.
Third gripe is on the second day, the door handle at the main entrance to the rooms was broken off! So we had to exit and enter through an alternative entrance.
Carpark space was ample, at an additional cost of $10 a night, which is reasonable.
Other than these 3 gripes, and I suppose I was just unlucky, I would rate this place as decent and acceptable, although with room for improvement.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located within close proximity to the thriving central business district and major Adelaide city attractions, BreakFree Directors Studios is suited to both business and leisure travellers. Offering guests a choice of studio and hotel style rooms comfortably furnished with modern amenities spread over two buildings. Both rooms feature contemporary furnishings and modern amenities, with air-conditioning, TV and wireless internet access(fee). BreakFree Directors Studios offers a host of facilities to meet the needs of business and leisure travellers. We offer guests 24-hour reception, room service (specified hours only) same day laundry service (fee), babysitting service (fee), guest laundry with washing machine, dryer, iron and ironing board. There is also limited car parking available (subject to availability, fees apply). Directors Studios offers free luggage storage for guests that require their bags to be left for the day or overnight. Entertainment and shopping are all within walking distance and include Chinatown, the Central Markets, Rundle Mall, Adelaide Convention Centre, Adelaide Festival Theatre and cosmopolitan restaurants. Only a two minute walk to Adelaide's famous Gouger Street, the main restaurant precinct of the city, BreakFree Directors Studios is located close to the Art Gallery of South Australia, South Australian Museum and State Library. BreakFree Directors Studios is a boutique hotel situated in the heart of Adelaide City, offering comfortable accommodation at an affordable price. BreakFree Directors Studios is a NON SMOKING hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Ebookers, Travel Republic (UK), Southall Travel, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your BreakFree Director's Studios reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Breakfree Director`s Studios Hotel Adelaide
- Directors Studios Adelaide
- Directors Studios Hotel Adelaide