“Apartment fine, check-in policy suspect”

Franklin Central Apartments
Ranked #11 of 57 Hotels in Adelaide
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Having arrived after a full day at work, I didn't react as quickly as I should have at being asked not only for my credit card, but my drivers licence as well, to check-in. The receptionist disappeared behind a screen where I discovered (the next day) she had photocopied the lot! When I realised what had occurred, apart from hurriedly shifting some money, I questioned a different receptionist as to why? I was told that it was because I might not be the debit card owner, that the licence was needed for verification. This doesn't answer why it should be photocopied however. Given that the full amount for the three night stay had already been withdrawn from my account some 5 days before check-in (that is not industry standard surely?) it's heavy handed. It is a poor way to start and I felt very vulnerable thereafter.
Apart from that, the room was fine and the man in the cafe below makes good coffee.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Kanganoo2
Franklin36, Manager at Franklin Central Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2014

Thank you for your review.

I am pleased that you found our Accommodation fine for your stay.

The website that you booked your Accommodation on does state that the payment will be taken prior to stay and it also advises that we do require a copy of your license( to eliminate credit card fraud) and also to hold funds for any incidentals, this is standard industry practice.

We look forward to having you stay with us next time you travel to Adelaide.

There are newer reviews for Franklin Central Apartments

Reviewed 20 April 2014

we were the three of us, three bedrooms, oñe opened on to a balcony but the others didt
nt even hsve a window to open but were given fans when requested. great reception staff, noted bedding was not changed everyday, maybe they do it if stsy a week we wrre 6 days.handy to the central city, would stay agsin for sure.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Marian E

Thank you for your review.

I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay with us.

As you do mention, we are very central to everything Adelaide has to offer.

We look forward to having you stay with again soon.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Quiet apartment. Was upgraded to a two bedroom, which was very spacious. Bedroom was a bit stuffy, as there is only Air Cond in the lounge.
Great position , with a short walk to the markets, and large supermarkets.
Also short walk to many restaurants in Gouger Street.
Ten minute walk to the Adelaide Oval, which was fantastic.
Coffee shop in the foyer, makes good coffee.

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room, and scored a upgrade. Very appreciated.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jenn P
Franklin36, Manager at Franklin Central Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Thank you for your wonderful review.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay in our property.

As you mention, our location is fantastic being so close to the famous Central Market and Coles supermarket.

As you also mention we are located closer the Adelaide Oval and restaurant precinct of Gouger Street.

I look forward to having you stay with us next time you travel to Adelaide.

Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

A 200 hold on your credit card for 5 days before you check in is outdated. Nearly everywhere is a $1 freeze or $10 so they still have your info without keeping money for a week what why for 5 -7 working days? Shower taps are seized very hard to get temperature consistent.. Called reception to be put through to answer machine finally getting
Through I am received with a annoyed response yes tone of voice attitude made me feel unimportant . Bed is hard as a rock too.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Cashall
Franklin36, Manager at Franklin Central Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

thank you for your review.

I am disappointed to hear that the standard industry practice of preauthorisation was the main reason for you unhappy stay with us. Unfortunately we have no control over how long your bank hold the funds on our behalf. However this could have been rectified by us faxing your bank, with some details from you.

Each property determines the preauthorisation amount and therefore many properties in Adelaide do have varying amounts that is required.

I do hope that you do return to stay , when you next travel to Adelaide.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

What a great location, close to everything you could need in the city, Grouger St restaurants, Central Markets, China Town, supermarket, bus station, Rundle Mall etc. About a $20 taxi ride to the airport.
We stayed in a two bedroom apartment with myself, hubby and mum, The apartment contained one bedroom with a Queen Bed and the other with a single (there is a pull out couch in the living room). It had a great lounge, fully equip kitchen and bathroom, it was perfect for a long weekend. It isn't fancy or high end but comfortable, neat and tidy. A little dated and probably requires a little updating in the bathroom especially but great value for money.
Not sure how cool the master bedroom would be in the middle of summer with only one aircon but it was perfect in autumn with the bedroom door open and aircon on.
The staff were so friendly and accommodating, I couldn't fault the service. Great stay, I would highly recommend for friends or family.

Room Tip: Higher floor and rooms away from the lift are quieter. 4th floor was great.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Becciboo78
Franklin36, Manager at Franklin Central Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Thank you for your wonderful review.

As you mention, our location is fantastic and right in the city centre, but the location is quiet.

All of our apartments feature full kitchen and laundry facilities , as you mention also.

The apartment's do remain cool in the Summer with the Air conditioner systems that we have in the apartments.

Once again , thank you for your review and we look forward to having you stay with us again next time you travel to Adelaide.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Good location near Central market and Rundle Mall. Fully self contained with full kitchen, washer and dryer. Only downsides were a low pressure shower that was half dribbling rather than spraying even at full force, impossible to wash hair.
Sink was the same.
Reception was polite but apathetic. When I tried to collect keys that my travelling companions has left by giving our names and didn't have the room number it was like I was asking for next weeks lotto numbers.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank MrsChillax
Franklin36, Manager at Franklin Central Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Thank you for your review.

As you do mention we are in a wonderful location, within walking distance to Rundle Mall and the Central Market.

I do apologize in regards to the water pressure , however had it been reported to reception, we would have been able to fix this issue.

In relation to the keys, we do try to obtain a room number so that we can ensure that we are giving the correct keys to the correct people due to the security issues it can create, so it is pleasing to hear that our policy is working correctly.

Thank you for your feedback and I look forward to having you stay with us next time you travel to Adelaide.

Reviewed 20 March 2014

Three adults stayed here in March 2014 for four nights. We were in a two bedroom. It was clean, spacious and centrally located. It was very nice to have the washer and dryer right in the unit. We all did several loads of laundry. The staff was very polite and helpful. The parking was easy. We would definetly stay here again. Can't say enough good about it.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Susan H
Franklin36, Manager at Franklin Central Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Thank you for your wonderful review.

I am pleased that you had such an enjoyable stay with us.

As you do mention all of our apartments feature full kitchen and laundry facilities in the apartments.

We look forward to having you stay with us, next time you travel to Adelaide.