“A Nice Suprise”

GreenLeadersBronze level
dubai
“A Nice Suprise”
Reviewed 8 December 2012

After reading some of the reviews here i was not expecting too much from The Intercon. My experience was excellent. On check we were welcomed by happy, polite staff who seemed pleased to have our large group staying there. All 18 of us were up to our rooms within 10 minutes of arrival. The lobby is very late 1980's but in a tasteful way, the hotel has a lovely ambience, airy and spacious. The standard king rooms have an unusual octagonal layout which is a nice change from the usual box shape of most hotels. Furniture is of a nice quality, well maintained and the beds are super comfortable. Noise levels from the hallways are well damped by the longish hallway from the doorway to the bedroom, in fact i was unable to hear the rooms next door opening and closing their doors. Bathroom is very large with great water pressure and it does not steam up in there. Interesting apricot marble surfaces made me feel quite nostalgic.
Breakfast was excellent, not a huge buffet but one fillled with impressive small details like organic yoghurt and individual Bircher Muesli pots, it's more about the quality of food than a large variety. Staff were unfailingly polite and cheerful wherever i dealt with them. The hotel has the best location in Adelaide, right on North Tce, five minutes walk to everywhere and with access to a lovely riverside behind the hotel.The Casino is right next door as is the convention centre. I loved the art gallery and museum a few minutes walk away. My only qualms were parking at AU$40 per day, but there is a cheaper option next to the hotel at $10 a day. Also the fridge/minibar looks a little dated, the original wood would look nicer than the white paint used. A very fine hotel in a gorgeous city.

Room Tip: All rooms have views, either the city or river and mountains.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank giodxb

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (520)
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 1 December 2012

This hotel has been around for a while but the lobby area still looks good and the rooms have been updated. It also has a great gym and pool area.

Staff were friendly and efficient. We booked a club room and were impressed with the club lounge food, drinks and service. Sometimes we had breakfast in the Club lounge and other mornings we had breakfast in the Riverside restaurant which has an excellent buffet. Drinks in the lobby bar were very expensive.

The hotel is well located for both sightseeing and business being next to the convention centre.

I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Club rooms are on the higher floors and provide access to the club lounge and great views over the r...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank treasureParis
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 30 November 2012

This hotel has been around for some time. I have not stayed in it for a while. Great location overlooking the river and Adelaide cricket ground and vast parklands. Impressive lobby and pleasant bar.
The rooms are good. I stayed on 15th floor king bed room. Clean. Bed was great.
Check in and check out we're easy.
Breakfast, now that was probably the disappointment. The staff were just not on the ball. It wasn't busy as I arrived for breakfast at 9am so inattention due to being flat out couldn't have been any excuse. The food was okay but not great. The coffee - brewed. The level of service and efficiency showed up against the rest of the stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room over looking the river.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank AL9999q
Melbourne
Reviewed 28 November 2012

I am a big fan of the IHG brand and spend alot of my time at the hotels in Sydney and Melbourne, and elsewhere and having booked a stay at the Intercontinental Adelaide I was very much looking forward to it. My first impressions of the hotel were very good as the lobby area is quite fetching. Staff on reception were very pleasant despite an error having been made with the cost attached to the booking and I was very pleased when told that I had been upgraded to one of their suites as part of my Royal Ambassador status. However, on arriving at the room I was disappointed as, although there is plenty of space to be found the room itself is extremely tired looking. There are marks all over the walls, cracked paint peeling off of the walls in the bedroom and the skirtings exhibiting the same flaws. Essentially the room looks as though it was decorated in the mid-1980s and has been left to fall into dilapidation from there onwards. The furnishings are very dated and chipped, the carpet frayed and the radio / alarm system in no way up to the standard of the Bose systems in sister hotels. I mean, honestly, what is that? The air-conditioning system is also extremely basic, to say the least and possibly installed by Fred Flintstone. The whole thing has the feel of an older Holiday Inn or perhaps worse.

The Internet. This gave me copious amounts of stress throughout the duration of the stay. I don't know who Docomo are but they should be kept as far away from Internet service provision as possible. The number of times I was forced to sign up for $145 and then, once again, unable to get any kind of access was innumerable. When I did managed to get online download speeds were really poor. Most five-star hotels tend to be able to offer guests 600 kb/s to 1.5 mb/s but I was lucky to hit around 2-300 kb/s at peak and that was always inconsistent.

Unfortunately I can't say that the lounge experience was any better either. The staff were ok, some animated and others almost in a coma of disinterest. The food on offer is functional, nothing more and the tables very slow to be tidied and cleaned. I spent a reasonable amount of time sorting out my own table and cutlery which, although not bothered about doing so, highlighted the differences between Intercontinental Adelaide and sister hotels even more.

Now, onto the positives. The fitness area is really good, far superior to the other hotels I had mentioned earlier, and the people running it a pleasure to deal with. Also I think the pool area is excellent also, and would be a really pleasant way to relax in the afternoon. I found the staff very pleasant on the whole and extremely amenable although customary professionalism is lacking, it's just a pity that the impressions gained from entry and check-in aren't carried through to the rooms themselves. If this hotel aspires as five-star and ask commensurate prices for the rooms the experience should certainly mirror that of equivalent hotels and, in this guest's opinion at least, it certainly does not.

I did indeed send feedback to the Duty Manager but received not even the dignity of a reply. I sincerely recommend whoever runs this hotel speak to Kishor, Guest Relations Manager in Intercontinental Melbourne, for suggestions on how to significantly improve things. Essentially very poor indeed.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
6 Thank gcklech
ICAManagement, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Adelaide, responded to this review, 11 December 2012
Dear gcklech,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay here with us at InterContinental Adelaide.

Further to our conversation, thank you for your time discussing your experience here with us and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kind regards,

Rebecca Thorn
Guest Relations Manager
Melbourne
Reviewed 23 November 2012

Great room service. Very efficient in returning things I had left behind to me promptly. The rooms are spacious and clean. I missed having some fluffy bedroom slippers, but a great experience overall.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Carol M
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 22 November 2012

Riverside restaurant in the Intercontinential, one of the supposedly best hotels in Adelaide was a big disappointment. We bought a dinner and Festival Theatre ticket for Jersey Boys. There was a choice of 3 main courses, 3 out of the 4 in our party had the slow cooked Moroccan lamb, it was bland, tasteless and fatty. We asked for salt, mustard, lemon and tabasco sauce to improve the taste of which, the mint and coriander was non-existent. We had a glass of wine, was not offered more, waitresses were untrained and we received a bill of $213 which was paid for 4 mths ago!!! Embarrassing to think international & interstate visitors are subjected to an outdated, overrated hotel and restaurant.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Alison B
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Adelaide, responded to this review, 5 December 2012
Dear Alison B,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online. I am truly sorry to hear that the food served during your travel did not live up to your expectations. In addition, I apologize for the unacceptable service you received from the restaurant staff. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests. Thus, we will use your comments to improve our efforts. Thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Fraser Coast
Reviewed 20 November 2012

My partner and I have stayed here a number of times on trips to Adelaide. On this occasion, we had a chance to experience the hotel operating at full capacity and slightly unusual circumstances. Our stay coincided with the residence of Hillary Clinton so we were certainly staying in the most secure hotel in Adelaide! However, even with the “extra pressure” the staff were fantastic and seemed completely calm and unfazed. It was somewhat akin to residing on the set of a large-scale production with all the security etc. however we were still made to feel very welcome. Part of feeling-the-love was being upgraded to a club suite – a lovely surprise and a beautiful room. As usual, the service in the club lounge was friendly and attentive which is a basic but important characteristic that at least one other “5 star” hotel in Adelaide could learn from. To see this hotel operate at capacity under what must have been difficult circumstances really demonstrated what a quality operation it is. I totally recommend it (especially rooms with club lounge access!!).

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple