“Great Place”

InterContinental Adelaide
Ranked #9 of 56 Hotels in Adelaide
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I recently spent 3 nights at the Intercontinental Adelaide for a corporate conference and found the service, location, and amenities to be first rate. My 19th floor room was clean and spacious and I didn't find its appearance tired or dated as other reviewers have mentioned. The location is ideal for exploring Adelaide and I will be heading back soon for a personal holiday.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Stribo
ICAManagement, General Manager at InterContinental Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2013

Dear Stribo

Thank you so much for your comments following your recent visit to InterContinental Adelaide.

Delighted to learn your experience in the hotel was comfortable and your room clean and spacious.

We look forward to welcoming you on a future visit to discover more of our beautiful city.

James Allen

Write a ReviewReviews (1,842)

Reviewed 28 July 2013

Ageing property sure, but the staff should be able to make up the difference.

Club lounge has downscaled and still significantly worse than its predecessor - suggest they take the time to review other club lounges and get with the times. Also 1hr from Barossa and the wine selection is average. Such a shame.

Whilst not the hotels fault, the IHG program - Apparently according to self promotion, the largest and best in the world - will issue you with 2000 points per stay (irrespective of the amount spent) who is running this program? time they listened to all the negative feedback and multitude of online negative comments regarding same and rewarded loyalty. Oh yes you can pay $300 and buy the right to earn points - who are you joking? I will check in and out and in and out over a 5 day stay to earn more points - (taking my inbetween days to a competitor) under your predecessor Hyatt - guests were not so inconveneienced and we all earnt per $ spent.(without the 300 price tag.

Potential stayers: beware Intercontinental loyalty is hollow. 1 night or 1000 nights, you're treated the same and receive the same amount of base points. Also means guests, like myself, eat outside the hotel, not in - Zero incentive

Thoroughly, thoroughly disappointed !!!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank TravelReviewGlobal

Dear TravelReviewGlobal

Many thanks for commenting on your recent visit to InterContinental Adelaide.

I was interested to read your feedback on the Club InterContinental Lounge and thank you for highlighting your thoughts in terms of the offering we provide.

Also appreciate your comments on the IHG Rewards program which have been directed to our IHG Rewards team for their review.

Reviewed 28 July 2013

I've stayed at the Intercontinental Adelaide on a number of occassions now, and keep on coming back!

Yes, the decor is getting a little old, the entry foyer is feeling its age and in truth it needs a facelift, but I love the quality of the rooms and the staff cant do enough for you.

My most recent stay coincided with my new wife and I having a celebration in the city to mark the occassion of our recent wedding. Somewhere along the way, I must have briefly mentioned the occassion to booking staff, and when we returned to our room on day one of our stay we were greeted with a bottle of wine and a lovey card congratulating us. These small personal touches are what make this hotel so good.

This stay was also the first experience we had with the Club Intercontinetal room, which I can strongly recommend. The lounge is just a lovely place to escape. In fact we didnt even leave the hotel for one whole day of our stay we were so wrapped up in the luxury of it all

I'll continue to be frequent visitor!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ozvpm_andy
ICAManagement, General Manager at InterContinental Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

Dear ozvpm_andy

Firstly, congratulations on your recent marriage from all of us at InterContinental Adelaide.

I was very pleased to read your review of your recent return visit to stay with us and learn that you and your wife relaxed and enjoyed your time in the hotel.

We aim to provide a memorable experience for our guests and this was evident from your feedback.

Reviewed 26 July 2013

Introduction
Located about 25 minutes drive from the Adelaide airport, InterContinental Adelaide Hotel is a 4-star hotel in Australia that offers spectacular views of the city, Adelaide Convention Centre and the River Torrens, despite its aging interior.

Ambience
Ambience within InterContinental Adelaide Hotel is its weakest point. The place shows signs of age, with scratch marks in the lifts, aging and worn carpets and furniture, and dusty windows. But InterContinental Adelaide Hotel is kept relatively clean. Art pieces scattered around the hotel add to the ambience.

Room
I stayed in the King Superior Room at the InterContinental Adelaide Hotel, and found it to be very comfortable. I like that there is both a bath tub and shower, as well as a comfortable, albeit aging sofa in the room. The wardrobe is sufficiently large. But there is very little viewing options on the Television. Also rather odd is the lack of security features, most modern hotels will require an access card to be swipped in the lifts, thus enabling only guests to reach the rooms. Sadly, InterContinental Adelaide Hotel doesn't have this security feature, meaning anyone can access any level of the hotel.

Food at InterContinental Adelaide Hotel is above average, but the range is very limited. Options for the buffet at Riverside Restaurant are standard day to day, and can get boring after awhile. Even the food at the Executive Lounge is pretty much the same on a daily basis. I would recommend eating out instead. If you must dine at the InterContinental Adelaide Hotel, choose to have any of their sandwiches... It's outstanding.

Service at InterContinental Adelaide Hotel is hospitable and efficient. Staff will greet you upon seeing you, and I felt very welcome during check in. During our meetings at the conference rooms, staff rendered excellent assistance, though finding them is slightly difficult, as they don't hang around the area. But when called, they came quickly. Good overall service.

Facilities & Activities
InterContinental Adelaide Hotel has very few in-house activities, and facilities are more suited for business meetings. While they provide computers for free usage, the actual operating systems are extremely slow, and you're better off not using them. The gymnasium is sufficiently large and well equipped, while the swimming pool is small and rather under utilised.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank RunningMan83

Dear RunningMan83

May I thank you for spending time in writing a very informative and detailed overview of InterContinental Adelaide from your recent visit.

It was very interesting to read your comments and views of the service and facilities you experienced and I trust we will have an opportunity to welcome you back to Adelaide in the near future to stay again.

Reviewed 23 July 2013

I only enjoyed my food at Riverside and the staff were very friendly. I was very disappointed that there is no spa or sauna anymore, and the swimming pool is outside which is too cold to swim in winter. I don't think it's any better to be a Priority Privilege member at all. I like staying there every year for my birthday. I queried about the valet parking $80 for 2 days which is too much, and it was not stated on my confirmation email that i received. I spoke to the reception supervisor or manager about it, and he was rude and condescending. It's not about the service, but about the money. I don't think i will renew my membership next year. There are other hotels that i could stay at which includes free parking.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank FoodieDeb1

Dear DebsAdelaide

Thank you for choosing to stay at InterContinental Adelaide and for returning to us each year in celebration of your Birthday.

I was pleased to hear your Riverside Restaurant experience was enjoyable and thank you for mentioning the friendliness of our staff.

May I also thank you for your comments concerning our valet car parking charges and for informing us of the manner in which your concerns were addressed.

Reviewed 23 July 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at the InterContinental. The reception staff were really friendly and welcoming and helped us with everything we needed. Check-in wasn't until 3pm but we arrived in Adelaide at 8am so were expecting to just leave our luggage with the front desk and come back later, but they checked us in straight away with no fuss or extra charge. The room was large and clean with a great view of the city. Our room was right next to the elevators but we didn't hear a thing, except for the occasional faint 'ding'. Breakfast was really good and there was plenty to choose from (even for the late-risers at 10am). All in all, a great place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Yenniva
ICAManagement, General Manager at InterContinental Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2013

Dear Yenniva

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts from your stay at InterContinental Adelaide.

It was very pleasing to read that our Front Office team were welcoming and accommodated an early check in on your day of arrival.

Equally, great to hear that your room offered nice views of the city and you enjoyed your relaxing breakfast.

Reviewed 17 July 2013

This hotel is in a fantastic location, there is a development programme for the adjoining area which will provide a walkway straight to the Adelaide straight from the driver side walk behind the hotel. The construction work did not effect our stay in the hotel which was a very enjoyable one stopping three nights we could not fault this hotel which we feel is of a very god standard. The staff made you feel welcome and they were happy providing a quality service. Happy to recommend this hotel.

Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Stephen G

Dear Stephen G,

I was delighted to read that you chose InterContinental Adelaide as your choice of hotel for your first visit to Adelaide.

I appreciate your recommendation of the property and thank you for your compliments on our welcoming staff.

The Riverbank Bridge construction you mention is one of a host of major projects underway in and around Adelaide and I hope you have an opportunity to return to see its progress along the way.