“Not the most modern, but comfortable nonetheless”

InterContinental Adelaide
Ranked #9 of 57 Hotels in Adelaide
GreenLeadersBronze level
Melbourne
“Not the most modern, but comfortable nonetheless”
Reviewed 4 January 2014

It's been three or four years since I've stayed at this hotel. I was a semi-regular guest when it was a Hyatt and when I last visited it had only just been taken over by IHG. Since then by the looks not much has changed. The decor above lobby level is starting to look pretty tired, with an unpleasant yellowy-cream paint adorning the walls, ageing carpets, and some far from modern touches in the rooms such as the old air-con controls and ticking analogue clock beside the bed (which went straight in the cupboard). But overall it's still a very comfortable place to stay. The lobby bistro serves simple, tasty meals, the beds are good, the gym is just about the biggest hotel facility I've ever seen, and the service is friendly (they also have some very attractive female staff!). I imagine they're going to have to invest in some room upgrades soon though to bring this hotel into the 21st century.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank AFLtraveller
ICAManagement, General Manager's Office at InterContinental Adelaide, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Dear AFLtraveller,

Thank you for your recent review of InterContinental Adelaide. We are delighted that you chose to stay with us upon this return visit to Adelaide.

It is pleasing to read that your experiences with our colleagues were warm and engaging and that you enjoyed our food and beverage offerings along with our fitness facilities.

We do value all feedback from our guests and would like you to know that your thoughts and comments regarding decor will be considered.

Kind regards,
General Manager's Office

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (520)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We decided to save up and splurge on a nice hotel as a family this New Years Eve. We decided on this hotel, for the view of the midnight fireworks.
We booked into this hotel Jan 2013, to stay for New Years Eve 2013/14, in hope of securing our rooms. Apparently this still isn't enough time to secure a booking?
We booked 3 rooms, side by side, with the other families we were staying with. Strictly with river views for the firework display. We booked 2 adults, 2 children per room. On booking, we were guaranteed river views, and to be together as a group (I guess this is a sales technique to fill beds).
I rang to confirm the booking on Nov 15th. I was advised that one of the families had been moved to a different room, but still on the 16th floor. We now had rooms 1601, 1605 and 1606. We were disappointed one had been moved, but dealt with it, as 2 of the families were still together.
We arrived at 3pm (check in time) and we walk into our room to find 2 single beds!!! We check under the beds to see if there are trundles. No? We check the sofa to see if it folds out. No? Ok, where are the kids beds?
When I rang reception, we had a 'discussion' over my booking. In the end she apologizes, because clearly I have 'checked in' 4 people. We even had breakfast paid for, for all 4 of us? The other 2 couples had exactly the same drama on arrival.
Then when the other 2 families checked in, we found out they had been moved to different rooms. We had rooms 1601, 1606, and 1701. We were totally confused and disappointed with our check in so far.
They did bring an extra bed up to our room for one of the children. The other families tried to get an extra bed too, but they had run out. So 4 people were sleeping in 2 single beds, in their rooms.
We didn't want to cause a fuss, but decided to go to reception and try to move the family back down to level 16, with the rest of us. We were told that rooms are not secure until check in. We should never have been told we have those room numbers etc, and that there were no rooms available on that floor that suited the family. Apparently the rooms only got changed that day!

So overall, the only thing you are going to secure by ringing up 12mths earlier, is a "bed." It may not even be the right sized bed!

It was so disappointing considering the rest of the stay was just wonderful. The hotel is outdated, yes, but we don't stay in hotels often, so this certainly didn't bother us at all. The kids loved the pool. Breakfast was just simply amazing, and our group got put in a private dining room. The view was beyond spectacular and perfect for what we were after.
We all wanted to book again for this year, but are going to look at doing something else now. Why book in as a group if you have to cram 6 adults and 6 kids into a twin share room?

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Gayzla
ICAManagement, General Manager at InterContinental Adelaide, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Dear Gayzla

Thank you for posting a review after your recent stay with InterContinental Adelaide and for highlighting the changes and frustrations experienced with your room accommodation.

To allow for us to respond to you directly, may I ask that you contact our Guest Relations Manager, An, on email via enquiries.adelaide@ihg.com.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Kind regards,
General Manager's Assistant
Melbourne
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We have family in Adelaide, so we stay there a couple of times each year. We have tried a number of different hotels but our preference is the Intercon. Why?
It is centrally located - an easy walk into the city for shopping/restaurants. The rooms are clean & comfortable, the staff are friendly & helpful and if you are interested there is easy access to a great walking/riding track beside the river. On this occasion we stayed on a Club Floor (Level 22); this affords access to the Club Lounge where complimentary pre-dinner drinks & nibbles were offered 5.30-7.00 pm every evening - great value.

So why the BUT - a charge of $25 per day for internet access is a joke - it should be free (to be fair it is free in the Club Lounge, but it should be free everywhere). The furniture in the Club Lounge is old & tired and urgently needs to be upgraded. Both the swimming pool and the area around the pool are small.

Tip: Don't have your breakfast in the Club Lounge, have it downstairs in the main dining area - better range and close to the main kitchen if you need/want to order something hot or cooked to order.

Overall still the best place to stay in Adelaide....... for now.

Room Tip: Tip: We stayed on a Club Floor (Levels 21 and 22) - our room was very quiet and we slept well. Acce...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sue M
Dear Sue M

Thank you for recently spending time with us at InterContinental Adelaide. We recognize your loyalty and thank you for choosing to stay each time you visit Adelaide.

We have made some significant changes to our IHG Rewards Club program which includes, among some other great new benefits, complimentary internet for elite members and this has been extended to all members from 1st January 2014.

Appreciate your feedback on our friendly and helpful colleagues and also for highlighting the wonderful proximity of the hotel to the centre of the city.

Kind regards

General Manager's Assistant
Reviewed 30 December 2013

The hotel used to be the Hyatt and was great. When it changed hands we celebrated many good times but the longer the InterContental brand is operating the place, the worse it is getting. The place is looking very tired and whilst we had booked several rooms for family and friends, we paid top dollar for facilities where lights weren't working, buttons for flushing toilets were really hard to push, door bell going off by itself after midnight etc. It was also a surprise that check-in has now changed to 3.00pm!

Worse still, the attention to detail in the club seems to be non existent with no toilet rolls in the ladies toilet and a container marked "fresh milk" containing very off milk. Come on InterContinental, you really need to smarten up.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Adelaide, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Dear djhm,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. Please accept our sincerest apology for the issues you had with the room accommodations you received and our club fell below your expectations. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to show you how great our hotel is.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
essex
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Recently spent nine nights at this hotel which is located within easy walking distance of the city centre and many good restaurants. Our room overlooked the river and towards the Adelaide Oval. It was of good size, well equipped and furnished to a reasonably high standard. It was well maintained and minor problems were quickly resolved. The bathroom which had both bath and shower was in good condition and had the usual amenities. Check in was fast,efficient and friendly and, throughout our stay, we found the service provided by the concierge supervisor to be excellent.

At breakfast, there was an adequate selection for most tastes but it could have done with a better selection of sliced fruit. Service was a little erratic as staff seemed inexperienced - they never seemed to be completely ready at opening time.

Internet with good speed was free in the lobby area but the room cost was unacceptably high.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cricketfan99
Reviewed 21 December 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Good decor and views but the loss of the buffet service has turned away a lot of customers who like nibbling on a variety of courses. It is pricey but value on the whole. Used to be the upper end buffet offering in Adelaide but the change from Hyatt it the Intercontinental has seen a short sighted refocus. With the Hyatt they used to have 2 sittings as testimony to the popularity. Management take note

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Only spent one night here on the company account but will review it as if I paid my own hard earned $’s for it.

I also spent one night at the Holiday Inn at Tullamarine airport beforehand then two nights at the Intercontinental in Melbourne. A couple of weeks ago I spent 2 nights at the Crown Metropol and one at the Crown Promenade in Melbourne.

My fave of these recent stays was this Intercontinental in Adelaide due to everything in the room overall that was ‘just right’. The air con, the bed, the lighting (day & night), the bathroom and amenities, the staff, the room service breakfast, the restaurant dinner… all were ‘just right’.

Okay, if you look hard enough there are slight signs of wear and tear but overall I was very satisfied and will stay again next time the company sends me to Adelaide (I have other choices but this one worked well for me).

I was in Room 1802 which overlooked the new cricket ground and looks out over the river. Nice enough view. Room was right around corner from the elevators yet it was extremely quiet so no issues with noise. The air con was super quiet and worked really well.

Staff at check in were very friendly and efficient and explained ‘what’s where’.

My room was a very decent size and was kind of a hexagonal shape which I liked for something different. Bed was king size and very comfortable (not hard). Room had a flat screen TV was really big (especially for a hotel room). Desk was big and had 3 power points and data etc.
I had a 2 seater couch, 2 chairs, full length mirror, 2 phones (1 by bed, 1 on desk), fridge, full mini bar, tea/coffee making, iron & ironing board, bedside clock, lamps, etc.

My bathroom was a really decent size with marble tiling, a full bath, huge shower, great lighting, etc. Slippers, bathrobes, HUGE towels, hairdryer, nice toiletries, really good amenities kit including the best sewing kit I’ve ever seen in a motel room amenity pack. The only downside I can think of is that the entry to the bathroom is quite narrow through two bi-fold doors which may prove a little bit more challenging for a wheelchair perhaps.

Had dinner in the hotel’s restaurant and it was very, very nice and the wait staff were friendly whilst remaining professional. They knew the food they were serving very well, etc.

My breakfast was room service and was lovely. The meal was hot as was my drink, etc. Lovely fresh juice also.

Personally I would not choose to pay the amount of money it costs to stay at a place like the Intercontinental but only because I am a happy backpacker/budget accoms girl with the odd splurge on a 4 or 5 star in my personal life. I enjoyed it as much as the Crown Promenade, Crown Metropol and Intercontinental Melbourne (but not as much as the V Hotel in Bali – it will take a lot to surpass those rooms and the breakfast for me – even though I did pay for that one myself!).

This hotel is in a great location; walking, trams, Rundle Mall, the river etc. All close by.

The reason I rated the 'value' as 3/5 (average) is the same as I rate most places over about $150 to $170 a night as average... the price paid just seems so over the top sometimes when I know I can stay at a little boutique hotel with everything I need for a fraction of the cost. Just because I really liked the place doesn't mean I think it is 'good value' overall. So ignore that rating if you like! :)

Room Tip: Room 1802 was a quirky hexagonal shape, but I liked it. Nice enough view, good sized room with every...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business