“Only Average Expected More”

InterContinental Adelaide
Ranked #9 of 57 Hotels in Adelaide
GreenLeadersBronze level
Adelaide, Australia
“Only Average Expected More”
Reviewed 4 February 2014

The location of the property is terrific but that is where it stops.
An Intercontinental brand hotel has an expectation which in this case falls well short. I stayed one night in a club room and paid extra for the privilege but value for money was not there even though I booked on three days notice and got a very reduced rate. Had I paid full price I would have felt totally ripped off.
Breakfast was very ordinary and the room dated.
Service was fine..no issues here

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank camerob
ICAManagement, General Manager's Office at InterContinental Adelaide, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Dear Camerob

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor to outline your recent visit to InterContinental Adelaide.

We sincerely appreciate your feedback on the Clubroom accommodation you experienced along with the breakfast offering. Your feedback that it was not value for money is certainly taken on board as part of our ongoing commitment to ensure a memorable guest experience.

General Manager's Office

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (520)
  • Polish first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 31 January 2014

I expected a bit more. Nothing bad as such just average. Staff were very friendly but held back by the building. All requests carried out quickly. Overall comfortable just a bit dated. Plus side is close to casino and the cricket.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank TogzTravelz
ICAManagement, General Manager's Office at InterContinental Adelaide, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Dear TogzTravelz

Thank you for recently staying with us at InterContinental Adelaide. We sincerely appreciate your feedback with regards to your thoughts on the decor and comfort of the hotel. Thank you also for highlighting the efficiency and friendliness of our team throughout your visit.

Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed 30 January 2014

I am currently a member of the "Intercontinental Hotel Ambassador" program. This program gushes that it gives benefits such as:

•Guaranteed room upgrade
•Fresh fruit upon arrival
•Mineral water in room, replenished daily
•In-room gift
•Single-room rate for double occupancy
•Extended checkout—up to 4pm
•Dedicated Ambassador check-in area
•Complimentary pay-TV film per stay
•Complimentary newspaper, delivered daily
•Instant checkout

I have stayed here before and also at the Melbourne Rialto without a problem in the world and received all my benefits without question or asking. I always book the room type immediately under Club Level and always get upgraded to the Club Level. Common Sense no?

I have previously spoken to both Intercontinental and Ambassador Program help desk and was advised and informed that this is usual practice and correct procedure.

On this occasion however, I was arriving here for a few nights and upon check-in was informed that I was being upgraded to a suite! - 1 room level ABOVE the Club Level! Awesome, I said, thankyou very much!. Oh, Where is my Club Lounge Access Card? Oh no you don't get that, that will cost you $80 a night extra. Um Hang On.... I went on to explain that I purposely book the room immediately under Club Level with a view to get Club Access. I don't care about the bigger more expensive suite. I am happy to sleep in your luggage room but at least give me Club Access please.

Her position was un-moved, un-sympathetic and insistent that "policy" had now changed and that Club Level was not given as an upgrade. Um What? The Suite is a much more expensive room than Club. But I don't want a double upgrade - I just want Club Lounge access like all of my previous stays in the exact same circumstances.

Eventually sanity prevailed and I was given the elusive card for entry to the hallowed arena. But not before leaving a sour taste in my mouth which I hope will not last for the rest of my stay which I generally find extremely enjoyable in the fair city of Adelaide.

Needless to say the room is magnificent but no mineral water, no gift and no fruit supplied in the room. Slack as.

There seems to be a big shift away from honouring the benefits of Ambassador Club Membership here at the Intercontinental Adelaide and it is not for the better.

Previously I have been very well received and felt welcomed indeed.

Maybe I got them on an off day? Maybe....

But if this is the way Ambassador club Members are to be treated here going forward - I will not be renewing my membership and I will most definately be exploring some the many other just as good and less expensive offerings.

Room Tip: Make sure you get all your benefits of Ambassador Club Membership.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Beach8um
Dear Beach8um

Firstly, sincerest thanks for bringing to our attention the shortcomings you experienced on your most recent stay at InterContinental Adelaide.

We understand our Guest Relations Manager has made contact with you in the meantime to discuss your concerns and we trust the remainder of your stay was enjoyable.

If you do have any further feedback or concerns, please do contact An on email: enquiries.adelaide@ihg.com.

Asia
Reviewed 28 January 2014

A reasonable stay at higher-end prices, as Adelaide's premiere hotel, this screams out why there is a need for a great hotel there. There's little specific to complain about however the feel is rather old and starchy and it feels in needs of an overhaul.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dear Scott N

Thank you for posting a TripAdvisor review providing comments on your recent stay at our hotel. We appreciate your feedback concerning the feel of the property which will be taken on board.

Kiama, Australia
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

The motel is well located on north terrace next door to the casino and close to the river and public transport. The room was clean and comfortable and reasonably price at $190 per night. The staff were friendly, welcoming and efficient. Would stay here again

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Chris D
Dear Chris

We would be delighted to welcome you back as well! Appreciate your favourable review and great to hear you enjoyed your visit and found our InterContinental team friendly and welcoming.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 24 January 2014

This is a the place to stay. The property is very close to the emerging eating and entertainment district. Also as close as you can get to thevCricket ground and entertainment centre. The facilities are topl line with a goodbbarvand very lage lobby. The rooms are well maintained and quite modern.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wayne G
Dear Wayne

Thank you very much for your favourable review! Wonderful to hear you enjoyed your stay so much and found our proximity perfectly located to the Adelaide Oval and Adelaide Entertainment Centre.

Melbourne
Reviewed 23 January 2014

After reading the reviews I was unsure what to expect with this hotel.
This was my first stay but I have a fairly high expectation of the Intercon.
First up the reception I received was top class, very professional.
The girls at the front desk are clearly very well trained and it reflected well.
Secondly, the room was spotlessly clean and well maintained. The bed sheets were very crisp and the towels were magnificent.
The TV in my room was huge with a good selection of channels. There were power points well located near the desk and the bed and proper bed side light fittings ( a big gripe for me with many hotels).
Also a good selection of pillows.
The teabags in the room were also very good quality (being a tea drinker, this is a big thing for me!)
The river view room I had gave me a great view over the cricket ground and all the new developments happening down below.
The gym is very large with lots of equipment and towels and water. I didn't try the pool.
The service I got on checkout was also first class.

All of these plusses made for a great experience and I would definitely return.

Certainly the carpets are getting old and some of the room fittings (like cupboard doors) are looking tired, but the management have clearly updated everything that could easily do (throwing away cupboard doors is a lot less valuable to me than swapping out small old TVs).
Frankly it compares very well to many other Adelaide hotels, given Adelaide is not as big a focus for tourism and business than Melbourne or Sydney.

I did not try the hotel breakfast as it was not in my roomrate, instead I went right next door to the train station and had breakfast in the coffee shop there, which has a great selection of choices. Certainly my suggestion if you are travelling on a budget.

For dinner… just head down to the Rundle Mall, lots of choices within a 15 minute walking radius.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Anthony V
Dear luckydog428

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are delighted to read that your expectations were exceeded - from the check in and out experiences to the cleanliness of your room and the amenities you received.

We appreciate your feedback on the hotel itself and that you feel it compares well to other properties in Adelaide. Hopefully InterContinental Adelaide will be your new hotel of choice when you visit our beautiful city once again.