“Nice but bit old and tired”

InterContinental Adelaide
Ranked #9 of 57 Hotels in Adelaide
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Nice but bit old and tired”
Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

Well appointed and comfortable hotel room, but furniture is a bit old and worn. Time for an upgrade I think! On the plus side, rooms are a comfortable size, I had a view of the Torrens River, and bathroom was well appointed. Good strong aircon as well which I find a bit rare.

Very little interaction with staff except for checkin but that was pleasant and professional.

Only issue I had was a missing room service menu in the room.

On the whole, a pleasant stay.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Journeyfamily
ICAManagement, Manager at InterContinental Adelaide, responded to this review, 6 April 2014
Dear Journeyfamily

Thank you for choosing to stay at InterContinental Adelaide recently and for passing on your feedback to us.

Delighted to hear your guest room was to your satisfaction and that you enjoyed the view from your window. Thank you also for highlighting the good air conditioning in your room.

It was disappointing to hear the in room dining menu was not provided for you and I hope our friendly Room Service team were able to assist you if you chose to place an order.

Executive Assistant Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (514)
  • Polish first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 31 March 2014

The term 5 stars has been overused.This is one example.Nevertheless,it provided a bed to rest for the night with shower facilities etc.
It was built in 1988 and the whole place is beginning to look a tad weary.The only plus about this hotel is that it was right smack next door to the Conference Centre and it being a 40 degrees celcius plus day,perfect to walk a wee few steps without melting the make up!

Room Tip: This is what I nagged about and kept reiterating and that was we did not want a room near the guest...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jennifer S
Dear NaNa s

Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay at InterContinental Adelaide.

Appreciate your feedback on the property and great to hear you enjoyed the close proximity to the Adelaide Convention Centre when venturing out on such a hot summer's day.

Australia
Reviewed 29 March 2014

The hotel had some very good aspects but a number of ones which are below par for a five star hotel. On the upside, the foyer is large and grand, the bed is comfortable and the bathroom and bathroom amenities are very good. The location within easy walking distance to the city and the room and bathroom were clean and there were good reading lights. I also enjoyed the breakfast although it was not as extensive as many other 5 star hotels. On the downside, the rooms need an upgrade and are functional rather than beautiful , the TV remote did not work from the bed. On phoning the concierge, I was told that the remote needed to be pointed to the bottom right of the TV for it to work. Our room was not serviced until 2.30pm and there was no turn down service.The internet was expensive and there was no free bottled water, no wine glasses in the room, no attractive view and no good down pillows. I cannot understand why the hotel cost $300 a night, except perhaps lack of competition.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank oliverAustralia
ICAManagement, Manager at InterContinental Adelaide, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear oliverAustralia

I would like to thank you for providing your comments on TripAdvisor following your recent visit to InterContinental Adelaide.

Thank you for highlighting the comfort of the bed in your room, the bathroom and its amenities and also your pleasure at the location of the hotel in close proximity to the city centre.

I acknowledge your comments in relation to the remote control difficulties you experienced, disappointment that water was not provided free of charge and that your room was late in being serviced by our housekeeping team. Thank you for mentioning these areas as this information is vital in allowing my team and I to monitor our service offering.

A note to highlight that as an IHG Rewards Club member internet service is now extended complimentary. Please do visit the website www.ihgrewards.com or ask our friendly team for further information.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 24 March 2014

My husband and I stayed here on business mid February for 2 nights. We thought that we would treat ourselves to a 5 star for our 2 nights and booked the 'InterContinental'....a little more luxurious than our usual 4 stars and modern style of accommodation. We thought it would be a special treat.

The hotel is fabulously located right on the river and next to the city.
It is of an older style and all the upper internal balconies just look into an enclosed drab void and onto solid tiled areas.
The room we were in was on the 16th floor, very nice and spotlessly clean but quite old fashioned.
The staff in all respects were extremely friendly, courteous and helpful.
We never ate in the hotel but enjoyed some fabulous late night drinks and cocktails in the bar with, once again, excellent service.
I also lounged by the pool one morning for a couple of hours, but the pool is very small and the location is not great.

When we checked in we were told we had a city view but could upgrade to a river view for an extra $45 a night. We had already paid a considerable price for the room but the thought of the river view sounded so relaxing and appealing, thinking we could sit late at night looking out over the river having a nightcap..... guess I should have inspected the room first...my mistake.
To get a glimpse of the river view you need to lean over a desk positioned right in front of the window. The window was too high to lounge in a chair and look out of anyway, so no relaxing having a drink looking out over the river unless you sat on the desk.
Guess we should have gone back down to reception and requested a refund because it was certainly not worth the extra $45 a nght, but to be honest we didn't want to look foolish or like cheapskates.

Overall the hotel was 5 Star in an older majestic type way... just not my style!!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank JazzyPerth
ICAManagement, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Adelaide, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Dear JazzyPerth

Thank you very much for allowing me the opportunity to respond to your TripAdvisor feedback following your recent stay at InterContinental Adelaide.

I was pleased to read that you encountered a very friendly, courteous and helpful team of colleagues throughout your visit and thank you for mentioning this along with your enjoyment of the refreshments in the cocktail lounge.

With respect to the views from your guestroom window, I appreciate your disappointment with not being afforded a satisfactory view of the river. I also understand you were uncomfortable to discuss an alternative and am sorry we were unable to have the opportunity to assist on this occasion. If you are planning a future visit I invite you to contact me on email enquiries.adelaide@ihg.com so I can assure you of our best attention.

Morgan Stephenson
Guest Relations Manager
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 22 March 2014

After staying at the Intercontinental in Adelaide (room 1214) I would be very wary about staying at any of the Intercontinental hotels. After paying $430 for a suite and asking 4 months ago for a river view room we were told on arrival we have a "City view room" which ended up being a view of a wall and a rusty casino roof. So after viewing the room I tried to organise a down grade of rooms so we can at least have a river view, this downgrade was going to cost me an extra $150, and they'd throw in a cocktail and breakfast. Politely declined to pay them any more money so was stuck with a room we werent happy with. Manager rings back 5 minutes later and says he'll discount my downgrade to only an extra $60. Urine stains on bathroom/toilet floor, bobby pins on lounge floor indicating a lack of recent mopping/vacuuming. Tired decor, have to stand on lounges to shut the bedroom curtains, ordinary qualityroom service. Nightly turndown comes with a brochure advertising Haighs being a local SA company, yet the chocolates supplied were imported. Bed/pillows was very comfy, but overall a bad experience that in no way reflected the price we paid, 3 star quality, 5 star prices.

Room Tip: Dont stay here if your fussy about getting what you pay for.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank IamSpats H
Dear IamSpats H

Thank you for taking the time to provide comments from your recent visit to InterContinental Adelaide.

We pride ourselves on providing a memorable guest experience and unfortunately we have fallen very short of your expectations on this occasion.

May I thank you for outlining the difficulties with your room allocation from the initial booking of the room where you asked for a river view. The suite you secured - a King InterContinental Suite - provides city views, therefore I extend apologies that this was not advised to you until you arrived at the hotel.

I would appreciate the opportunity to respond to you personally and discuss further your disappointing experience and, in particular, your comments on the condition of your room. Would you be able to contact me by email: enquiries.adelaide@ihg.com at your convenience.

Morgan Stephenson
Guest Relations Manager
New York City, New York
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I recently (early March 2014) spent 5 days at this hotel; my first visit to Australia. The room was fine, the minibar very well stocked and the staff helpful and courteous. I had free internet (though I am aware that this doesn't come standard) and free breakfast (don't know if everyone gets that, but I found it excellent). I should mention that my trip was paid for, so I can't really comment on the overall value.
I was surprised that they had no business center; I imagine they must be refurbishing it. Instead they just had one computer and printer in the lobby. I tried using it to print some pdfs from email and it kept crashing. I asked at reception if there was a print shop nearby; instead the lady helpfully gave me a hotel email address to send the files to. This I did from my room; I went straight back down to the lobby and she handed me the printouts, so it all worked out without much fuss. So overall the (current) lack of a business center and the music softly piped into all the corridors outside the rooms (an inexplicably cheesy touch) are the only demerits for me. Overall, I would recommend it.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Anglobrazny
ICAManagement, Manager at InterContinental Adelaide, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Dear Anglobrazny

A pleasure to receive a review of your first visit to InterContinental Adelaide and I hope you have also enjoyed your Australian experience.

Thank you for mentioning the helpful and courteous staff you encountered during your stay and also for highlighting the assistance you were given by our reception assistant with printing your documents.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

L.A.
Reviewed 18 March 2014

recently spent 1 night at this property. Was a well apportioned InterContinental property with a huge open lobby area. It is adjacent to the train station and the tram stop is right out front, so public transportation is at your disposal. Staff were very efficient and courteous. We were given a nicer upgrade room to river view per my IHG elite status and we were celebrating our 25th anniversary. Hotel is close to some good restaurants and there was a festival going on at the time right behind the hotel along the river. Room was nice and spacious and very comfortable. We were presented with a nice bottle of wine for our stay and we really appreciated it. It appears this hotel does all it can to make you feel at home and most welcomed. Would definitely stay there again on return to Adelaide.

Room Tip: try and get the river view if possible
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank Steve-JL.a.
Dear Steve-JL.a.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and may I also congratulate you on your recent 25th anniversary.

It was a pleasure to learn you were recognised for your IHG Elite status and that you enjoyed your river view upgrade and the comfort of your guestroom.

We certainly do try to make each and every guest feel most welcome in providing a memorable experience and I thank you for congratulating my team on their efforts.