“Good location and good value for the room rate”

InterContinental Adelaide
Ranked #9 of 57 Hotels in Adelaide
GreenLeadersBronze level
Downunder
“Good location and good value for the room rate”
Reviewed 6 June 2010

InterContinental Adelaide is well located on the outside of the main city attractions. Very close to the Casino and Rundle Street (lots of restaurants and shops). Room was clean and large albeit dated. Bathroom was very another decade but also clean (when was orange marble in?). Staff were helpful if at times distracted. No parking at the hotel which means you have to use valet parking at the "rich rate" of $30/day. The hotel is very close to Thrifty City Depot.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (497)
  • Polish first
Adelaide
Reviewed 31 May 2010

Ive stayed here before and I like this hotel. Their breakfasts are in my top ten hotel breakfasts. We got a good deal with last minute secret hotels that included breakfast. Not fussed about the pool being closed. Good location, bed comfortable, room nice but a few things including the phones have seen better days. Staff service was good. Business centre was closed and I had to email a document I needed printing to the concierge desk for him to print it. Wouldnt have been happy if it had been a confidential document.
Not much choice in Adelaide and this is probably the best. Liked the cafe in the lobby weekdays where you can buy just a coffee or a coffee and muffin at a reasonable price, not everyone wants a buffet breakfast..

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Sydney
Reviewed 28 April 2010

I understood that the owners of this landmark hotel were not happy with the hyatt's management so changed to ICHG. I can't say that I found any improvement. I stay here a lot on business. Had a club room - it needs a revamp. Service is the same as they have mostly the same staff. So not sure what the change is. Actually the lounge seems to have less than what it did before, the standard of snacks is less, it is the small things that have disappeared that are important - small bottles of mineral water that they allowed you to take for your walk, takeaway cups of coffee - these all make the difference between "OK" and " thanks for thinking of us". Still the best location though. I try and walk to all my meetings or catch the bus and walk, rather than taxi-ing. In adelaide this is easy .pool is closed at the moment- which iis annoying

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Luv2travelOzzie
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 22 April 2010

Was in Adelaide for 5 days and the InterContinental was the "conference hotel" for my trip. If you are doing business at the Adelaide Convention Center this is the place to be....you turn right out of the front door and you have arrived at the ACC.

Check in was quick and efficient. I arrived around 11am and they were able to accommodate my early arrival when I had not called ahead.

The room was pretty good. Bed was a little hard (I like softer mattresses) but still something I was able to get a good night sleep on. What was a little odd was the door to the bathroom....they use slated closet doors and the entry was a little tight (not a full door size). But the bathroom itself was a good size with separate shower and bathtub. At first, I thought it was a closet and couldn't find the bathroom until I opened the doors.

The desk area could do a little better when it comes to letting us plug in our laptop. There is a wall outlet, but it is behind the desk and blocked by the drapes. But I found it in the end.

Internet here was a good speed - but they charge by the minute! However, they do have a $29 AUD cap every 24 hours, or you can buy a 7-day plan. I would have preferred maybe a 3 or 5 day plan since this is a very business-centric hotel. Regardless, the $29 AUD was a little on the pricey side but not a deal breaker.

Breakfast was included in the room rate I had. The offering each morning was the exact same with no variety. However they do have an ala carte menu if you want. Very modest offering of eggs, sausages, beans, potatoes, pancakes, fruits, cereals and breads. What I loved about the restaurant is they actually make lattes and cappacinos - not just coffee. That alone made the breakfast worthwhile!

Room service was pretty good. Their full menu was available 24 hours a day. Had several different meals and all were quick (within about 20 minutes), hot and well supplied with salt, ketchup, etc.

Finally, some good shopping is available with a short 5 minute walk over to Rumbly Mall. That combined with the Casino next door and the train station makes this a great cetnrally located place to stay.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Jeff_In_Dallas
Craigieburn, Australia
Reviewed 4 April 2010

I stayed at the InterContinental Adelaide for 5 days while attending the IRB Rugby 7's. I found the hotel to be very nice, but the mini-bar area was a bit dated and the pool was closed for renovations. The service was fantastic and when I found myself needing to take care of some urgent and unexpected business the concierge was brilliant! I would recommend this hotel for both business and leisure.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
Hawaii
Reviewed 30 March 2010

We enjoyed this hotel and regretted that we could only stay for one night. The lobby and atrium are beautiful. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The location was fine. We had no problem with the inroom safe which was free of charge. We would definitely stay again if we return to Adelaide.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kupunakane
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2010

Stayed just one night in The Intercontinental (formerly The Hyatt Adelaide) with a girl friend for the annual Soundwave music festival at Bonython Park in Adelaide. We were ripped off for the one night and got charged $425 for a twin bed room, even though the hotel is very good and the room was well equipped and cosy, that was rather a lot and didn't even include the buffet breakfast which was an extra $34. The beds were very comfortable and we slept well, bathroom was spacious and we had a wonderful view of the river from the window as we were on the 16th floor in room 1601. The reason why the room was so much more expensive than usual was basically because it was very fully booked with bands and people working and attending the music festival, but when we checked-in, we found there to be a lot more rooms available than what we told over the 'phone. Usually the same room is around $175-$200. Breakfast was very good, but too expensive at $34 per person. Loads of choice of fruits, juices, cereals, salads, breads, rolls, and a cooked buffet. I wasn't allowed to bring a smoked salmon roll I'd made up to my room because of "health and safety" reasons, which I thought was silly, but they kindly took the food up to the room for me right away.
We were gutted to discover that the rooftop outdoor swimming pool and sundeck was closed for a total makeover and being re-built, which was very disappointing during the Summer months! The health club downstairs in the lower ground floor was all open and I made use of that. The pool refurbishment had been delayed because of some special tiles that were ordered that got delayed being sent or something and I could tell how annoyed the hotel staff were at guests complaining about it, as it wasn't their fault. The health club in the hotel is very good. Big gym, a jacuzzi that fits in about 6 or 7 people at a time and a steam room and sauna. Changing rooms was spacious and it was well equipped.
I can't understand why people have been so negative about this hotel in other reviews, as I've also stayed in The Hilton in Adelaide which is good, but I think the room we stayed in at The Intercontinental was bigger than what I had in The Hilton (and that was an executive floor room!), much bigger bathroom and better equipped. The fridge/mini bar was big enough to put all our extra food and drinks in, toiletries were really nice quality and we got cosier beds than the bed I'd slept in The Hilton which from what I remember wasn't as soft. I would have to agree that the lobby did seem a bit dark. There is a nice outdoor terrace, with tables and chairs to sit on, which is like an extended part of the bar. The hotel was a lot closer than The Hilton to walk to Bonython Park, where we had to go for the festival. There were major roadworks to and from the festival site to the hotel, so walking was the best option. The concierge staff were great when it came to check in online for my flight back to Sydney from Adelaide. They also checked me in online for my flight from Sydney onto London, so it was all arranged without any worries. Let staff offer to help with doing this, because the hotel internet connection is a rip-off. So, a few minor setbacks, but it didn't put me off staying here again. I will book via Expedia in advance next time and not leave things to the last minute. Once the swimming pool is open this hotel will top The Hilton, for sure.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends