“Adelaide, SA”

Ranked #15 of 57 Hotels in Adelaide
Perth, Australia
“Adelaide, SA”
Reviewed 30 November 2012

I stayed at the hotel during the first part of my Australia trip (this is my fourth visit of Australia from Colorado)....I like it some much that I booked another day before my return home, This hotel is WORTH the money, excellent location, restaurant is over priced.

I recomment this hotel!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
SalesAdelaide, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley, responded to this review, 2 December 2012
Dear Al F

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and will be returning to the hotel before you leave for home.

Again, thank you for your feedback, and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

Simon de Jong

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Indonesian first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 26 November 2012

Staying here for the Feast festival, we didn't know every hotel in Adelaide would be booked out for the Cricket test at the Adelaide Oval; so I was pleased to be booking for $130 a night on LastMinute.com many months earlier.

I've stayed here maybe ten-odd years ago, and again at that time the Australian Cricket team were staying there. I'd doubt they stay there anymore however.

The best thing is the location, also the worst thing is the location. This is probably the most fancy place to inhabit Hindley St (beware any Friday or Saturday night after 9pm, the streets are mobbed with drunken youth queueing for nightclubs). But once you are past the automatic doors the depth of the lobby is a pleasant surprise.

It's not heavily staffed, the pool, spa and gym area was probably awesome some twenty years ago but heck, it's clean and all well maintained. Opening the door to our 3rd floor room hit us with a wall of bleach in the air, but once that was gone for $130 a night, it's pretty good.

We booked a room of two doubles and marvelled at the centre console of a very dated inbuilt radio clock alarm (of which the radio didn't work) and wondered why there wasn't a mini bar or snacks of any description. We quickly left the room for lunch and upon our return found a solitary bottle of red wine by the TV. Not long after the phone rang apologising for not stocking the mini bar and would we like it to be stocked now? I had the feeling this might be normal practice which isn't really a good look, alas I'm the kinda guy who goes out and buys a litre of water and rarely succumb to the temptation of the mini bar. Yet that bottle of red was left untouched in fear it'd be added to the bill somehow.

To sleep, with our room away from Hindley street it was peaceful, and the old school heavy curtains blocked out 98% of the light in the morning. Air-con was great and the beds comfy. If I had a gripe it'd be the low height shower rose, best appreciated by someone less than 5ft tall and very little pressure - but for $130 a night, I was happy.

Having long left I got a phone call at Sydney Airport asking if they could charge the Pure Blonde beer I apparently had in the front bar at 6pm the night before - it wasn't me and I certainly don't drink that beer but the assistant pressed that I did. Coming out of Sydney Airport isn't a joy at any time so he picked his timing to call me poorly and I told him to investigate and perhaps check the CCTV and come back to me if he had any proof.

It's OK, it's really dating fast this place and probably was once truly opulent - though in it's present location I'd doubt any investor would stump up the cash to update it.

Room Tip: Always ask to face Currie Street.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
SalesAdelaide, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley, responded to this review, 27 November 2012
Dear diceslider

Thank you for your recent posting of your stay at Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley. I have taken onboard your comments and appreciate your honest feedback.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 25 November 2012

We stayed here 20 years ago for our wedding night. Having read some good reviews, we decided to have a romantic night away and stay here once again. What a big mistake it was. We had three different rooms in the space of two hours. Our first room, a King Executive was tired and tiny. Our $50 upgrade gave us a bigger room that was absolutely filthy. A cleaner, to our horror, barged into our room without knocking. I don't know who was more stunned, her or us. Apparently our room had not been checked after the cleaners had been through. It was suggested they would send a cleaning crew through again but we suggested another room would be in order. Room three was slightly better than room two but only very slightly! We ended up discussing our concerns with the Manager. He begrudgingly knocked $45 off the bill. He offered little by way of an apology for what we had been through or for the disgraceful state of the rooms they had on offer. He acted like we were just a problem he wanted to get rid of. The hotel has been upgraded on certain floors. All of our experiences were on the third floor, it appears to have remained untouched for the past 20 years! The cleanliness issues can be noticed by any guest just riding in the lift with dirty finger marks all over the stainless steel areas. I doubt that the refurbished rooms have different cleaners so would assume that, whilst they might look better than the third floor, the cleanliness of the rooms has to be questioned.

Such a disappointment seeing such a wonderful Hotel go downhill like it has. We will not return unless we discover that new owners have taken over. We will definitely inspect the property before booking anytime in the future.

3 Thank Condada
SalesAdelaide, Front Office Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley, responded to this review, 2 December 2012
Dear Condada,

Thank you for taking the time to express your recent stay at the Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley.

I am deeply concerned about the feedback provided and welcome the opportunity to discuss this matter in person. I can be contacted at the hotel on 08 8231 5552.

Jarrad Crettenden
Front Office Manager
Lower Hutt, New Zealand
Reviewed 23 November 2012

Ideally located in Adelaide CBD just along from Rundle Mall. Very nice room, comfortable bed and great pillows. Great breakfasts with plenty of staff on duty to cope if it's busy which it was on one day of our stay. They were flat tack, smiling and still fetching things for people that weren't on the buffet. Complimentary internet and daily paper in the lobby. Good gym with fresh towels, water cooler and cups. Gym leads out to a lovely pool and spa.
The hotel has a green option. You put the green card on your room door and they don't make your room up that day (or days). In return, you can go to reception after 3pm (every day you go green) and they tick you off and give you a voucher for a glass of wine at the bar. I thought that was fair trade and so did others in our group. Anything for a free drink as the saying goes!

Parking is tight. I wasn't driving but you get a good idea when you see all the marks on the pillars. It does work but with care.

The staff are helpful and efficient. The great Concierge came up to our room to sit down and show us various visitor options and to answer any questions. I Recommend this hotel and would stay again without question.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
SalesAdelaide, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley, responded to this review, 25 November 2012
Dear Babyboomr

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of your recent stay at Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley. I was very pleased to read that you were able to take advantage of our newly implemented "Go Green" option, it has certainly been a popular choice since we commenced this program.

Again, thank you for your complimentary feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

melbourne
Reviewed 23 November 2012

This hotel is very good. A rerasonable room rate, comfortable bed, good sized bathroom, work desk, small fridge, breakfast (which a little bit pricey), pool and various other features. There is also the option to forgo fresh towels and room cleaning in exchange for a voucher which entitles you to a drink or snack at the bar. However the location won't suit some. The proximity to the night clubs means there is quite a bit of late night noise (voices and music). Walking down the street from the hotel to a nearby carpark on Sunday morning, I had to run the gauntlet of drunken young people and crowds who blocked the footpath and had no inclination to let you past. Added to this was the huge amount of rubbish strewn across the street and footpath. If you are a late riser you probably won't encounter the rubbish and the people, as they disperse mid-morning and the rubbish is cleaned away.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank station
Dear station

Thank you for your recent review of Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley. We appreciate the feedback that we receive from our guests by expressing their opinions both positive and negative.

Again, thank you for your feedback.

Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 22 November 2012 via mobile

This hotel is perfect if you want to be right in the middle of the action day and night. Bustling during the day and very lively in the evenings. The pool/spa was lovely, room comfortable and had a great big shower. The value for money impressed me most, especially considering it's prime location. Would stay again.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Tamara C

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of your recent stay at Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you were able to take advantage of some of our facilities.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 20 November 2012

I booked this hotel for 3 nights to take in Jersey Boys and see a little of a previously-unvisited city and can thoroughly recommend it for convenience, comfort and friendliness. I chose it because it was the only Adelaide hotel offering a breakfast package (that I could find) although I was a bit concerned that some reviews seemed to suggest the location on Hindley Street was noisy. However, we didn't find it to be a problem at all. The rooms are set back from the street and although there wasn't enough noise at night to be a problem at all. The pool and spa area is pleasant - not particularly exciting but adequate. However we walked absolutely everywhere from this hotel and all the staff were extremely helpful answering our questions. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
SalesAdelaide, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley, responded to this review, 21 November 2012
Dear helkat2254

It is always a pleasure to read when our guests have enjoyed their stay by commenting on the staff and our facilities.

Again, thank you for your feedback.