“Great staff, shame about the lack of sound proofing”

Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley
Ranked #16 of 57 Hotels in Adelaide
London, United Kingdom
“Great staff, shame about the lack of sound proofing”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

The concierge and front desk staff were brilliant, making what was only my second ever trip to Adelaide much easier and more fun with their travel and tourism knowledge and willingness to help.

Less good - the room I was in (1004) was so poorly sound proofed in the windows that it sounded like it had its windows wide open all the time. On weekend nights with music and partying going on until the small hours that wasn't good. Good thing I packed some ear plugs...!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank MarkPack
SalesAdelaide, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Dear MarkPack

Thank you for taking the time to express your recent stay at the Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley. We value the constructive feedback that we receive from our guests by expressing their opinions both positive and negative.

I am delighted to hear that the concierge and front desk staff were ‘brilliant’, I will ensure to pass your feedback on, I am sure they will feel humbled.

I am also pleased to advise that we are currently in the process of seeking quotes for double glazing a number of rooms in the hotel, to reduce the impact of external noise on our guests.

Once again thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley in the future.

Simon de Jong

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Indonesian first
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I have stayed at the Grand Chancellor on Hindley 7 times this year - all for business trips lasting 3 to 5 days. The location is very central and convenient, and the value for money in a capital city is excellent. I have reviewed this hotel before, however I need to address some issues that have arisen over the visits that I have had.
Many of the rooms are noisy - and the one I have just had was terrible. I was told when I checked in that on Thursday nights a nearby Pub made excessive noise affecting some rooms, but my room should be OK. It was on the South East corner of the building, on the 12th Floor (1220)
I didn't know at first, but my room ended up being perched directly above the pub. Monday to Wednesday I heard a lot of street noise - mainly from buses travelling along Currie Street.
There appears to be very little sound proofing in the rooms, and I had a corner room with two windows that didn't close and seal properly.
Then on Thursday night a band at the Pub started playing at 8:30 pm or so and made a huge racket through to the wee small hours of the morning. There was a full blown rock concert going on down there!
I had to double the volume on the TV to hear it above the band noise. When the band stopped playing somewhere after midnight, taped music came on and the sound of drunken revelry was heard loudly until about 2:30 am.
Another 2 stays there I had rooms with very noisy air conditioners.
So if you stay at this hotel ask for a room facing Hindley Street (North), definitely not Currie Street (South).

Room Tip: Rooms on the South side or South East corners are very noisy - particularly on Thursday nights when...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Hs656409
SalesAdelaide, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley, responded to this review, 3 November 2013
Dear Hs656409

I apologise for the disruption during your stay. We are currently in the process of seeking quotes for double glazing a number of rooms on the south side of the Hotel. For an update on the project, please do not hesitate to contact me direct on 08 8237 3802

Once again I thank you for your feedback and apologise. I hope to welcome you back to Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley in the near future for a more enjoyable experience.

Kind Regards

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night on my own. Check-in was fine & the staff were pleasant. The hotel is close to Rundle Mall but also set amongst what feels like Adelaide's Red Light District so imagine it can get pretty noisy on weekends.

My room was clean but felt quite dated. The bathroom wasn't that great although everything (shower etc) worked fine. The bed (surely the most important feature in a hotel!) was not comfortable - the mattress was extremely soft and saggy so not ideal for more than a couple of nights I would say.

Breakfast was pretty good, nothing to rave about though.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Simon L
Dear sjhlangley

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay at Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley.

I am pleased to advise that we are about to commence stage two of our refurbishment process to improve the standard of our Deluxe Rooms. The scope includes replacement of beds and updating bathrooms. For an update on the project, please do not hesitate to contact me direct on 08 8237 3802.

Once again thank you for your feedback and I hope to welcome you back to Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley in the future.

Yours Sincerely

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Was here for a conference for 3 nights. Staff were courteous & friendly. Rooms were clean.
My only issues involved:

1) the bed, which was lop-sided! Had to remember to stick to the left side of my bed otherwise would almost sink to the carpet floor & ferl the springs of the bed :-(.

2) the street. Went out walking the first night and was immediately shocked at my surroundings. Right next door to a Club X, various other sex & strip clubs. Welcome to Adelaide's red light district!

3) the locals. Lots of loud, potentially violent people loitering out front.

4) Room in need of TLC. Crusty, old showerhead. Rusty sink hole in bath. Shoddy glue job for soap holder. Taps very old & missing piece on cold hand tap of basin.

Porter was a very nice man. Shame about the negatives as it has potential. Just too many for me to overlook. I will consider other hotels before ever returning.

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank Solita A
Dear Solita A

It is always a pleasure to read when guests provide positive feedback about our team, it is our continuous mission to anticipate and exceed our guest’s expectations.

I am pleased to advise that we are about to commence stage two of our refurbishment process to improve the standard of our Deluxe Rooms, including replacement of beds and updating bathrooms. For an update on the project, please do not hesitate to contact me direct on 08 8237 3802.

Once again thank you for your feedback and hope that you will reconsider staying at Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley in the future.

Yours Sincerely

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 11 October 2013

stayed at the grand chancellor for 4days,great location,hindley street has everthing you need
great places to eat and plenty of places to get supplies,as you will need them as the hotel,even charge for water.We had the hotel suite,which was large and the bed was huge and very comfortable,the staff were great but the underground parking @$15 a day was a nightmare if
you had a large car or van.The suite looked like it had'nt been used in a while,everthing in the kitchenette was dirty,not enough tea and coffee and it wasnt restocked until we asked.
Overall the location was the winner,very busy on friday and saturday,but sunday was a joy.
Would go back to Hindley but not the Chancellor

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
SalesAdelaide, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Dear julie h

I apologise that housekeeping in the room was below standard, both in regards to the cleanliness and the restocking of amenities; I will ensure to follow up with the housekeeping team.

Once again I apologise and thank you for your feedback. I hope to welcome you back to Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley in the future for a more enjoyable experience

Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I spent seven nights at the Grand Chancellor on a business trip and had a mixed experience. On one hand, the hotel was very clean with friendly staff, and all the standard amenities. The 12th floor, where my room was located, provided an great view of the city and was comfortable. What killed this hotel for me was the noise. Clubs line the east end of Hindley, and the people of Adelaide like to party late into the night. All but one of the nights, I heard booming techno music and bad karaoke until 3 am. As sleeping is what a traveler primarily does at a hotel, I really would recommend staying elsewhere.

Room Tip: If you are going to stay here, request a room as high in the hotel as possible.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank coldcalifornian
SalesAdelaide, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Dear coldcalifornian,

Thank you for taking the time to express your recent stay with us.

Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley is conveniently located in the heart of the CBD and close to many of Adelaide’s dining precincts, public transport and in the arts and cultural hub of the West End.

Once again I thank you for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley in the near future.

Kind regards,

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I stayed here to attend a conference at the nearby university. Lovely hotel with very nice rooms. I was a little concerned given the number of nightclubs surrounding this hotel but it was fine on the weekdays but very lively on the weekend.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Dear Kel B,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and I hope to welcome you back to Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley when you visit Adelaide in the future.