“Disappointed....”

Ranked #16 of 57 Hotels in Adelaide
Wandin North, Victoria, Australia
“Disappointed....”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I'm surprised that this hotel is rated at '4 star'.

It's old, it's noisey, it's dirty and the staff I found very unhelpful and very uninterested in general.

There was mould growing in the 'vent' in the bathroom in the shower.

I'm disappointed that I spent money staying at this particular venue, and the outside noise on the street, and it's also at the 'bad' end of Adelaide.

Room Tip: Find somewhere else to stay....
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Jenelle C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Indonesian first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 22 November 2013

I'd like to be able to sum up this hotel in one word but I can't because it is truly terrible. Old. Decrepit. Smelly rooms. Depressing is possibly the best description. I truly cannot believe it is supposedly a four star hotel. However I didn't know about the refurbished rooms. Silly me, should have checked that. I would have gladly paid extra to be out of the disgusting room I was given (5th floor)

The entrance/foyer (after dodging the phalanx of smokers huddled in the doorway) looks so grand and gets you thinking it might be nice. But no. It was a horrible horrible room. Very very old, scratched paint, stained carpets. Yucky yuk yuk. Plain bathroom with shower over the bath and a shower curtain!! Double yuk.

Limited hanging space in the wardrobe and only 4 coat hangers anyway. My room did not have a balcony and there was a stifling feeling of claustrophobia in the room, especially since it had such an awful smell (perhaps someone had been smoking in here, though it is supposedly non smoking)

You can hear the people next door and to top it all off, the bed was only marginally comfortable but it was very hard to sleep anyway with the passing foot traffic in the corridor and the noise from the next door room not to mention the boom boom from the night clubs and screams and yells from revellers in the street throughout the night.

The hotel is situated in one of the worst places in Adelaide. Other reviewers have said that the hotel is convenient and "close to everything" - well depends on what you want to be close to I guess. If you want to be close to "Adelaide's only Peep Show" or the "Ram Bar, Gentleman Only" or how about "Cybersex Alley" hmmmmmm.

Sorry but this place does not rock my boat, add to it the snooty reception staff and all I can say is that I sincerely hope I never have to stay here again

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank BrisCaz
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

We arrived at 9 am from a long flight and half expected to be told that we could check in and leave our cases until the room was ready; as happens in many hotels. However, not only was it possible to go to the room, we were offered an upgrade to a newly refurbished room on the 10th floor for an additional $30. The room was perfect. Comfortable bed and lovely bathroom.
We didn't use the pool etc as it was just a quick stop over. We did do the express breakfast which was extra. Having seen the full breakfasts available I would advise people to go elsewhere if you have time.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah J
Batu Ferringhi, Malaysia
Reviewed 15 November 2013

When I first arrived at this hotel I was greeted by a robot. No warmth or care just business as though she didn't want to be there. It wasn't a good start! However when I arrived in my room it was spacious and fairly clean except for the long strand of hair in the hand basin & another on the toilet cistern. Incidentally I took photos of these if the hotel cares to contact me. I ordered the Advertiser for the next morning & it didn't arrive. However I contacted reception & my paper was delivered within a few minutes.The room had a faulty power point which was not able to be used but these things were minor. I would recommend this hotel as It was convenient to everything and I was able to park my car for $15 per day which was excellent and most importantly I had a good night's sleep..

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Martin S
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013

The concierge and front desk staff were brilliant, making what was only my second ever trip to Adelaide much easier and more fun with their travel and tourism knowledge and willingness to help.

Less good - the room I was in (1004) was so poorly sound proofed in the windows that it sounded like it had its windows wide open all the time. On weekend nights with music and partying going on until the small hours that wasn't good. Good thing I packed some ear plugs...!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank MarkPack
SalesAdelaide, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Dear MarkPack

Thank you for taking the time to express your recent stay at the Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley. We value the constructive feedback that we receive from our guests by expressing their opinions both positive and negative.

I am delighted to hear that the concierge and front desk staff were ‘brilliant’, I will ensure to pass your feedback on, I am sure they will feel humbled.

I am also pleased to advise that we are currently in the process of seeking quotes for double glazing a number of rooms in the hotel, to reduce the impact of external noise on our guests.

Once again thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley in the future.

Yours sincerely

Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I have stayed at the Grand Chancellor on Hindley 7 times this year - all for business trips lasting 3 to 5 days. The location is very central and convenient, and the value for money in a capital city is excellent. I have reviewed this hotel before, however I need to address some issues that have arisen over the visits that I have had.
Many of the rooms are noisy - and the one I have just had was terrible. I was told when I checked in that on Thursday nights a nearby Pub made excessive noise affecting some rooms, but my room should be OK. It was on the South East corner of the building, on the 12th Floor (1220)
I didn't know at first, but my room ended up being perched directly above the pub. Monday to Wednesday I heard a lot of street noise - mainly from buses travelling along Currie Street.
There appears to be very little sound proofing in the rooms, and I had a corner room with two windows that didn't close and seal properly.
Then on Thursday night a band at the Pub started playing at 8:30 pm or so and made a huge racket through to the wee small hours of the morning. There was a full blown rock concert going on down there!
I had to double the volume on the TV to hear it above the band noise. When the band stopped playing somewhere after midnight, taped music came on and the sound of drunken revelry was heard loudly until about 2:30 am.
Another 2 stays there I had rooms with very noisy air conditioners.
So if you stay at this hotel ask for a room facing Hindley Street (North), definitely not Currie Street (South).

Room Tip: Rooms on the South side or South East corners are very noisy - particularly on Thursday nights when...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Hs656409
SalesAdelaide, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley, responded to this review, 3 November 2013
Dear Hs656409

I apologise for the disruption during your stay. We are currently in the process of seeking quotes for double glazing a number of rooms on the south side of the Hotel. For an update on the project, please do not hesitate to contact me direct on 08 8237 3802

Once again I thank you for your feedback and apologise. I hope to welcome you back to Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley in the near future for a more enjoyable experience.

Kind Regards

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night on my own. Check-in was fine & the staff were pleasant. The hotel is close to Rundle Mall but also set amongst what feels like Adelaide's Red Light District so imagine it can get pretty noisy on weekends.

My room was clean but felt quite dated. The bathroom wasn't that great although everything (shower etc) worked fine. The bed (surely the most important feature in a hotel!) was not comfortable - the mattress was extremely soft and saggy so not ideal for more than a couple of nights I would say.

Breakfast was pretty good, nothing to rave about though.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Simon L
Dear sjhlangley

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay at Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley.

I am pleased to advise that we are about to commence stage two of our refurbishment process to improve the standard of our Deluxe Rooms. The scope includes replacement of beds and updating bathrooms. For an update on the project, please do not hesitate to contact me direct on 08 8237 3802.

Once again thank you for your feedback and I hope to welcome you back to Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Hindley in the future.

Yours Sincerely