“Lovely hotel with terrific breakfast!”

The Playford - MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #4 of 56 Hotels in Adelaide
Reviewed 2 September 2011

Beautiful old hotel with modern room features.
Concierge, Marco was helpful from my first contact with him a few weeks before we arrived. Marco recommended tours and arranged airport transport which ran smoothly and professionally.
Check-in was quick and a room upgrade (thanks to Marco knowing it was our wedding anniversary I suspect) was offered to a spa suite. The suite was lovely, unfortunately the view was of a brick wall but this didn’t spoil our stay as there was enough space in the suite to sit and enjoy a glass of wine without a balcony and view. We could still hear shouting at 3am from outside on the street which kept us awake so maybe take ear plugs to get a good rest.
The waterfall shower in the bathroom was wonderful, yet also had a water-saving head for the conscientious.
Although we didn’t get chance to use the pool and gym we viewed the amenities and they were extremely well equipped.
Breakfast was included in our package and the choice was superb. 6 different freshly squeezed juices, fruit, cereals, Burcher, pancakes, cakes, muffins, slices, crumbles, salmon cheese, deli meats, anti-pasto, chocolate fountain and of course cooked breakfast with eggs cooked anyway to order.
Room service was quick and good. The restaurant was booked out every night and very good quality. Con our waiter was great he didn’t stop moving and we didn’t have to wait for anything. He also was a great source of advice when spoilt for choice on a couple of the courses.
The location was superb on North Terrace. Trams and trains outside the door, museums, galleries and the casino just across the road and round the corner from the shops in Rundle Mall.
The only thing if we were being really picky was that the gift which was included in our package wasn’t in the room when we arrived, and there were also dirty plates outside our door. When I later informed Reception I was told that it had been “marked as left by the Maid’ and it actually made me feel a little uncomfortable as if he was insinuating that I was trying to get an extra one. He did send somebody up a few minutes later with the gift.
We would stay here again if we were to visit Adelaide again.

Room Tip: If celevrating a special occasion let the Reception know this. If you like a view ask for a room ove...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank McrtoMel
Write a ReviewReviews (2,376)

Reviewed 30 August 2011

recently I stayed at the Adelaide Sebel Playford and would like to share with other travellers what a gem this hotel is. It ticks all the boxes, well-appointed rooms, great location (walking distance to everything the cbd has to offer), a great bistro for croissants and coffee which also doubles up as one of Adelaide's best cocktail bars. but most noteworthy is the excellent service by the staff, especially the front desk ladies Alyssa and Colette. All staff members made my stay extra-special. i will be back!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 August 2011

Location is handy, close to railway station and tram/bus routes. Lots of good restaurants and pubs close by. Room was clean and well appointed but walls are a bit thin. Could hear next doors alarm clock going off. Shower/Bath combo is too tight to move around in. Eatery is a bit tired and needs freshening up a bit. Thanks for the free morning beverage of choice and also a nice surprise when my parking was complimentary. Customer service is excellent, very friendly. Overall a good experience, but the Hilton still sets the standard in Adelaide for me. I will try the Playford again soon...

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank Zapruder1966
Reviewed 19 August 2011

The hotel is across the road from the Casino and Railway Station. Newly renovated the rooms were quiet and furnished nicely, the bed was very comfortable and the bathroom large, the only down side is that you had to shower standing in the bath other than this the room was very comfy and spacious.
This hotel has an excellent gym and indoor heated swimming pool. the in-house restuarant food was of a very high standard along with the friendly service..
The staff made us feel very welcome and nothing was too much trouble for them to make our stay a memorable one. We would stay at this hotel because of location in the heart of the city and the wonderful staff/service and very clean comfortable & quiet rooms.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank oztraveller58
Reviewed 18 August 2011

I stayed here for one night only during a business trip. I arrived in the evening and so only had limited time in the hotel as was also up and out early for a trip to Whyalla.

The hotel is within walking distance of many areas of Adelaide that you may want to visit and just opposite the Casino complex.

Check in was exceptional. It was friendly and efficient and able to answer a number of questions and offer useful advice. Upon check out it was similar with the Gents organising taxis and parking being very pro-active in ordering your taxi which in today’s world is hard to find. Definite tick for service.

The rooms were nice with plenty of space and a desk area to work at. My room had an interesting exit from the room out to a small courtyard area which was nice if a little odd and certainly unexpected. In the bathroom as opposed to the usual four or five small bottles of shampoos and gels they have a normal sized bottle which you use. I like the idea that there is an obvious reduction in wastage by this method but did wonder how often a disgruntled guest may put a surprise in them for the cleaners or the next guest. In general this seemed to sum up the hotel as a whole, a little quirky but pleasing with good intentions.

At the front of the hotel is a bar and restaurant which had many visitors for the one night I was there. Unfortunately I didn’t have the opportunity to try.

Would I stay here again? Yes I would and I think it would be even more enjoyable to get there a bit earlier in the day and stay a little longer...

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Essexboy999
Reviewed 17 August 2011

This centrally located CBD hotel provides exemplary service at reasonable room rates.
The staff are attentive, the rooms are spacious, the restaurant provides quality fare at not over the top pricing and the bar is a pleasant place to enjoy a pre dinner drink.
The fact that it is a modern hotel in an old building adds to the atmosphere.
I travel to Adelaide regularly on business and after trying a few other hotels have settled on the Sebel as my home away from home.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 August 2011

I stayed here on my own while visiting my son and grandsons. Very lovely place, felt welcome from the time of check in to the time I left. Bed very comfortable, room quiet (416) breakfast good range of choice, bar very convivial. My boys came in on Saturday to play in the pool and spa and had a gereat time. For me the pool could be about 5 degrees warmer but I was ok. Nice coffee in the bar.
Check in and out very easy, hotel right in the heart of the city so no need to stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: Speak nicely to the Receptionist and don't bully.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family