“Only place to stay in adelaide”

The Playford - MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #4 of 57 Hotels in Adelaide
Adelaide, Australia
“Only place to stay in adelaide”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2012

Fantastic customer service. Lesley (French lady) in the restaurant is amazing best waitress ever. We travel extensively and this is the best hotel we have stayed in in Adelaide. Don't stay anywhere else ormolu will be disappointed.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank speedymary6

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
Adelaide Hills, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2012

One of the best hotels we have ever stayed at.
Real top notch old style service and class, porter to take your bags to your room, welcome letter, proffessional check in and a seperate concierge etc.
We were there over a very busy weekend for them yet the service was excellent considering, Nothing was too much trouble and they were always happy to help at any time.
Very nice decor throughout and a well presented hotel. Rooms are lovely, we were upgraded to a spa suite which was a great, super comfortable, big bathroom, all very clean and tidy. Very well appointed, nice furnishings, comfy bed, nice toiletries, robes, good shower etc.
24hr room service is great and mini bar is well stocked, restaurant and bar are also winners, great coffee too.
Will definitely stay here again. It is good location and great value, with reasonably priced safe parking directly opposite and monitored with screens at reception.

Room Tip: Corner suites are the best I would say...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Travellin2SA
Dunedin, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2012

Was booked into the Sebel Playford through work. Have to admit was pretty excited to stay at this 5* property as had heard good feedback. Location is excellent and an easy walk to most main attractions of Adelaide CBD. I must admit though, the allocated room was slightly disappointing. While clean, spacious and tastefully decorated with everything one needs in a Hotel room, I think I have stayed in cheaper and comparable 4* Hotels elsewhere. Having said that, was not booked into a top of the line room, and I am sure that the Hotel suites here are really beautiful. The staff are very friendly and attentive, the facilities excellent and the pool etc worth checking out should time permit. Breakfast, while pricey, well worth the splurge with a tasty and wide selection to choose from including organic and local products. On the whole, did enjoy my stay and would consider doing so again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank KiwiKat815
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2012 via mobile

I'd never thought I'd say this of a hotel, cos hotels have always been just a place to stay when we're away fr home. Sure, I've stayed in hotels which provide good service, but nothing like this ...

From the moment we arrived at Playford, we were made to feel at home by the friendly staff. The concierge, manager, reception staff, waitresses, and even the non-frontline staff like the chambermaids and technicians were friendly.

An incident I'll always remember is when a technician saw me approaching main entrance, and I was pushing a stroller. He stopped whatever he was doing to open the door for me. I know this is a small thing, and most courteous people would do it, but, to me, this shows the emphasis the management places on service, and this is more than I can say for almost all the hotels I've stayed in.

I'd like to thank all the staff at Sebel Playford for making our stay there so wonderful :)

Keep up the good work!

P.S. On top of the service, the location along North Terrace was great (corner of North Terrace & Victoria St, just opposite the railway station), it's abt 10min stroll to Rundle Mall, parking was convenient. Just a note, the reception, dropoff and carpark is along Victoria St.

• Stayed December 2012
Crickhowell
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2012

We spent 3 nights in the Sebel Playford, our first destination on our first trip to Australia. The staff were friendly, the breakfast possibly the best we've had anywhere and the room very comfortable. We had dinner in the restaurant and all the food was superb; imaginative, fresh and well presented.
We then went on a 48 hr tour, returning for a further two nights at the Sebel. This time we were less happy with the room, as the air conditioning was not working and there was no bedside table. these matters were not dealt with at first, but when action began we were offered an up-grade for the last night to a spacious suite. The Manager was apologetic and we were glad to have been listened to. Overall this is a very good hotel and we'd stay here again if in Adelaide.

Room Tip: The best ones are on the front, North Terrace, but more affordable ones look out on a narrow side st...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AlisonS815
Nomad
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2012 via mobile

I'm feeling pretty sad for Adelaide if this is it's best. Chose this hotel because Trip Advisor, the numerous awards and alleged five star rating. Perhaps my expectations were too high but I could not see why this hotel has garnered such praise and is not a five star hotel by any stretch of the imagination.
I must say the staff were very pleasant and efficient but whilst the the theme is styled to be reminiscent of the Belle Époque era sadly it looks like that was the last time they decorated and they did it badly. The charm of the original interior has been ruined by some dodgy additions such as a stage in the bar with a mirror ball and an ugly take away coffee counter / bar more suited to a dodgy nightclub than a hotel restaurant or lounge. The furniture is old and musty and the room we stayed in was 1980s motel quality.
I stayed at the Intercontinental a couple of times and that too was a trip back in time so alas It would appear Adelaide is a good hotel Ghost Town.

Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank SamsonNIte
Ripley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the Sebel for nine nights. The staff were very friendly and generally efficient and the bedroom was comfortable and well appointed. Although I was in a double room on my own drawer space scarce: I couldn't find enough room for my clothes so heaven knows how two people would have coped. The hotel breakfasts are excellent: full cooked offers exceptional variety from a self service buffet, and I enjoyed the excellent muesli with fruit yoghurt. My big gripe was the cost of connecting to the hotel's Internet / wifi / Ethernet: £10 for just two hours or £15 for a day. Most hotels that want to attract corporate business offer this service free of charge. The amount charged by the Sebel is extortionate and a complete rip off and makes it the Sebel business unfriendly: beware, corporate travellers. Our party got round the problem by strolling to a nearby cafe which provided a really fast wifi service free of charge: the nearby David Jones catering hall also offers free wifi. My only other complaint is that whenever I sent clothes to the hotel's laundry service it never arrived back at the promised time and I had to ring reception to chase it up. Otherwise a good hotel, well located, with a basement pool, gym and spa pool.

Stayed November 2012, travelled solo