“Very good business hotel, great concierge”

The Playford - MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #4 of 57 Hotels in Adelaide
Sydney, Australia
“Very good business hotel, great concierge”
Reviewed 22 October 2010

I recently spent 5 nights at this hotel for a conference. As I am with the group organising the event I was given an upgrade to a loft suite. For a long stay the room was very good - very spacious and airy. The doors open to the real air outside which is a bonus (but no balcony which would really add to it).
Slightly odd thing with the loft room is that the bathroom (with lovely spa bath and lots of space) is downstairs as you walk in, the (very comfy) king size bed and closests are up the loft stairs. That wasn't a hassle as the valet carried my suitcase up for me, but it was a bit inconvenient to have the bathroom so far away.
Service was fantastic - best I've ever had in Adelaide, concierge was extremely good, front desk fine (slight delay on check out), room service outstanding, cleaning service great and the dry cleaning and laundry was also excellent - nothing went wrong, small items I'd left in a suit pocket carefully packaged and returned, and not that expensive (in hotel-land). There is a same day cleaning and repair service about half a block from the hotel if you prefer to pay more sensible costs.
My biggest gripe is the internet - it seems crazy to have a 5 star hotel charging daily rates with download limits for internet access. Annoyingly for those staying a few days there was no weekly option so I think it was $25 daily. It's just silly these days, I think they should really re-think it.
But overall I was extremely pleased and very happy with the service and comfort. Definitely a good choice for Adelaide, walking distance to most things (and right opposite the Convention Centre of course).

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (432)
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed 4 September 2010

I was in Adelaide for 4 days for a conference. My check-in was delayed a bit as it was a conference and they were having a problem with all of the arrivals and turning over rooms from what I could tell. They were very apologetic and upgraded me to a corner room that was incredibly spacious with a separate living area and bedroom.

The place was incredibly clean and well appointed. The bathroom was huge and very nicely appointed. Overall, I was very satisfied for this stay.

The gym is small but works well enough. The breakfast was very nice with a lot of fresh fruit and other offerings.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 13 August 2010

We booked this hotel room at the last minute, I must say when we got here the service we received was fantastic. The first thing I wanted to know if the internet was free, they explained to me that it wasn't and I was disappointed. Then the manager explained to me you can sign up to GHA Discovery which is a complimentary internet access. I was so happy and once I signed up they also brought up complimentary Mount Franklin water to the room.

The room its self is nice and clean, new flat screen telly with loads of movie options and the bathroom is a nice size. My husband is a keen poker player and it’s pretty much across the road to the casino. Rundle Mall is only a 5min walk. If you want some super fast take away pizza then try Pizza Rev which is just around the corner in Hindley street. But if you’re after the best Chinese then go to Ying Chow on Gouger Street its the best… make sure you try the BBC its totally RAD!!

I highly recommend the Sebel Playford Adelaide, it’s nice and clean with friendly service. Location wise it’s fantastic and the price is very good for what you get. We normally stay at the Hilton when we come to Adelaide, however I think we will stay here from now on as it’s only walking distance to everything!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Adelaide
Reviewed 12 August 2010

Recently stayed at the Sebel for an evening to celebrate a birthday. We had a deluxe executive room which was spacious, clean and comfortable. The staff were all very friendly and efficient. Car parking is available on site at $15 for self park (24hrs). Location is an easy stroll to shopping and attractions. Tram to Glenelg is out the front and the train station and Adelaide Casino are across the road. Would highly recommend as a great place to stay when in Adelaide.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed 14 July 2010

These (expensive) loft rooms are a funny thing. Ours had a good view of a dingy alley. Upstairs mezzanine was a great king bed with pillow choice and wall mounted TV, nice, but the bathroom with the corner spa was downstairs through a pokey lounge area.
Car access is very limited, and the extra payment required for secure parking a bit up the road was not appreciated.
On the upside, we had miserable weather, so the unlimited inhouse movie fee was a good thing, as was the bedroom TV.

Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank zoshi
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 11 July 2010

We stayed there while husband was in a conference which was just across the road so I was there on holiday.
We were upgraded to a suite which was roomy. Beds extremely comfortable - big spa bath.
Decor in the room is beautiful. It was very quiet, as we were at side of Hotel. No sun on that side so was a bit dark but you couldnt complain as we appreciated having a larger room.
The thing that makes this hotel stand out is the personal service. They go out of there way to make your stay wonderful. Probably the best Ive ever experienced.
We went on to stay in Sydney at the Raddison again 5 star but totally different experience in comparison.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
Los Angeles
Reviewed 10 June 2010

My husband and I visited Adelaide during the Fringe Festival. We had the time of our lives being surrounded by art, music, dance, puppetry, theatre, circus arts, street performers and the like but the one issue we had with Adelaide were the hotels. We selected the Sebel Playford based on positive reviews and though I wouldn't say we were disappointed, we also weren't impressed. The rooms are kind of small, not tastefully decorated, and not particularly comfortable. We opted not to get a premium view room and ended up with a window that overlooked the alley. I was impressed with the pillow menu, however, and housekeeping quickly brought my selection after calling. The other highlight of this hotel is the pool and jacuzzi in the lower level with was totally empty whenever I went down there and offered a very serene and relaxing place to get away. All in all I can't say I would stay here again but I'm not sure how many better hotels exist in lovely Adelaide.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple