“Quite nice”

Ranked #4 of 57 Hotels in Adelaide
Melbourne, Australia
“Quite nice”
Reviewed 18 January 2011

The Sebel is an OK hotel ... not opulent or indulgent, but well positioned next to the conference centre.
Room service is as one might expect in a hotel of this kind. The hotel foyer feels dominated by the restaurant bar area, with the accommodation almost apologetically hidden down the back.
I think some of the negative reviews are overly negative ... whilst I wouldn't rate this as the best hotel I've stayed in, it is comfortable, well run and with nice rooms.

Two minor gripes ... putting prices on the large bottles of shampoo in my room feels a little like your integrity is being demeaned .. just ruins the feel a little.

Internet charges are excessive (in fact it is cheaper to walk to the convenience store nearby and buy a USB modem which you can take with you) ... when will Australian hotels get up to speed with their overseas counterparts who almost all offer free internet?

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank hcorn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
Surrey, England
Reviewed 14 January 2011

We were a little worried about staying at this hotel having read some of the previous reviews - we needn't have been - the hotel is absolutely superb.

We stayed for 4 nights in January 2011 in a loft suite - it was booked as part of an Australia tour through Travelmood in the UK, so we don't know quite how much we paid per night.

The loft suites have been recently renovated and the marble floor that greeted us when we opened the door immediately allayed any fears. The carpet shown in previous travellers' reviews has gone and new furniture and fittings have been installed.

The bathroom has a separate shower and bath (jacuzzi) and the lower level has a fitted kitchen (kettle, microwave, fridge, cutlery/crockery, tea & coffee making facilities), a dining room table and 4 chairs, sofa and flat screen TV. Upstairs, a very comfortable bed, fitted wardrobes and another flat screen TV.

We had complimentary breakfast as part of our package - if you have to pay, it's AU$32 per person for a full buffet (or a bit less for continental) in the main restaurant. Everything you need to set you up for the day - eggs any style and freshly cooked, lots of hot options, cereals, fresh fruit juice, beautifully presented sliced fresh fruits, pancakes, waffles, breads, pastries - One of the best breakfasts we have had.

If you have a car, the hotel has an arrangement with a multi storey immediately opposite (1 min walk). You can either park the car yourself for AU$15 per day or opt for a valet parking service (in excess of AU$30 - so we parked ourselves!). You can come and go as much as you like for the flat AU$15.

The hotel is very well located - about 5-7 minutes walk from the main shopping area. There's a free tram that stops right outside the hotel that we used and is worth knowing about if you want to travel to China Town, the indoor market, etc. Otherwise, Adelaide is small and easy to get around on foot.

The staff are genuinely friendly and helpful and we can't thank them enough for making us feel so welcome. From the reception staff to the waitresses and the concierge who booked us a day trip to Kangaroo Island - all go out of their way to make your stay a fabulous one.

Would we stay there again? If we returned to Adelaide....without question. We are pretty fussy about our hotels and always stay in 4 or 5 star accommodation. The only negative (and it is minor) is that you have to pay for wi-fi. Most top grade hotels now offer free wi-fi. Other than that it was 100% perfect.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2010

On arrival there appeared to be a problem with our booking but the front desk quickly sorted it out and we were shown to our room. It was a spacious room overlooking a fountain in a tiny courtyard. There was a large comfortable bed and pillow menu, sofa and occasional table. Reasonable sized bathroom but awful toiletries (in house eco friendly) Bathrobes but no slippers. Breakfast was excellent with a huge range of gourmet foods. All staff encountered were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Adelaide
Reviewed 9 November 2010

My husband and i decided to stay at the Sebel for 2 nights to celebrate his birthday, and once again we had an amazing time. We had our wedding reception here last November and knew the quality of the staff, service, room and food was exceptional. This is our favourite Hotel in Adelaide. You are greated by friendly staff from the front desk to the cleaning staff. I always feel special here... and will be back for many years to come.

So thanks again Sebel...... ( i have stayed at other Sebels interstate and New Zealand, and by far find the Sebel Playford the best!!!)

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 22 October 2010

I recently spent 5 nights at this hotel for a conference. As I am with the group organising the event I was given an upgrade to a loft suite. For a long stay the room was very good - very spacious and airy. The doors open to the real air outside which is a bonus (but no balcony which would really add to it).
Slightly odd thing with the loft room is that the bathroom (with lovely spa bath and lots of space) is downstairs as you walk in, the (very comfy) king size bed and closests are up the loft stairs. That wasn't a hassle as the valet carried my suitcase up for me, but it was a bit inconvenient to have the bathroom so far away.
Service was fantastic - best I've ever had in Adelaide, concierge was extremely good, front desk fine (slight delay on check out), room service outstanding, cleaning service great and the dry cleaning and laundry was also excellent - nothing went wrong, small items I'd left in a suit pocket carefully packaged and returned, and not that expensive (in hotel-land). There is a same day cleaning and repair service about half a block from the hotel if you prefer to pay more sensible costs.
My biggest gripe is the internet - it seems crazy to have a 5 star hotel charging daily rates with download limits for internet access. Annoyingly for those staying a few days there was no weekly option so I think it was $25 daily. It's just silly these days, I think they should really re-think it.
But overall I was extremely pleased and very happy with the service and comfort. Definitely a good choice for Adelaide, walking distance to most things (and right opposite the Convention Centre of course).

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed 4 September 2010

I was in Adelaide for 4 days for a conference. My check-in was delayed a bit as it was a conference and they were having a problem with all of the arrivals and turning over rooms from what I could tell. They were very apologetic and upgraded me to a corner room that was incredibly spacious with a separate living area and bedroom.

The place was incredibly clean and well appointed. The bathroom was huge and very nicely appointed. Overall, I was very satisfied for this stay.

The gym is small but works well enough. The breakfast was very nice with a lot of fresh fruit and other offerings.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 13 August 2010

We booked this hotel room at the last minute, I must say when we got here the service we received was fantastic. The first thing I wanted to know if the internet was free, they explained to me that it wasn't and I was disappointed. Then the manager explained to me you can sign up to GHA Discovery which is a complimentary internet access. I was so happy and once I signed up they also brought up complimentary Mount Franklin water to the room.

The room its self is nice and clean, new flat screen telly with loads of movie options and the bathroom is a nice size. My husband is a keen poker player and it’s pretty much across the road to the casino. Rundle Mall is only a 5min walk. If you want some super fast take away pizza then try Pizza Rev which is just around the corner in Hindley street. But if you’re after the best Chinese then go to Ying Chow on Gouger Street its the best… make sure you try the BBC its totally RAD!!

I highly recommend the Sebel Playford Adelaide, it’s nice and clean with friendly service. Location wise it’s fantastic and the price is very good for what you get. We normally stay at the Hilton when we come to Adelaide, however I think we will stay here from now on as it’s only walking distance to everything!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business