“Great Location. Pity about the sub standard rooms.”

Stamford Plaza Adelaide
Ranked #15 of 57 Hotels in Adelaide
Melbourne
“Great Location. Pity about the sub standard rooms.”
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Great location but the rooms are worse than most 3 star motor inns and are in serious need of renovation.
Service and bars, restaurants good though.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank bomberfan01
Phil S, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Adelaide, responded to this review, 16 June 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback, it is appreciated. I was disappointed to learn that your experience during your stay was not all that you expected. For your information, we are in the final stages and working towards undergoing a refurbishment of various areas of the Hotel including our guest rooms to bring them back to the level in line with a 5 star experience. I trust we can welcome you back again soon.
Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Sydney
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Stayed in mid Jan, paid $140 per night through Hotelclub, booked Queeen bed but it came back as twin singles, this will be taken up with hotelclub.
Booked Superior room, though it should be tittled inferior room, overlooking North Terrace, room ready on arrival, but at level 5 there is no view, the room was very dated, very 1980's, furnishings were so old, a soft refurbishment of bed linen and carpet can't hide old furniture.
I arrived early and room was ready on arrival, by 4pm I knew I could not stay in this room and I went down to Reception to inquire about upgrading, for an extra $40 per night I moved several floors up to an Executive Queen room, with new decor and a stunning view over the river and parklands, it included breakfast in the restaurant as the Executive club was closed being the school holidays.
The main restaurant for breakfast was good but no information on service, you get the initial pouring of coffee, but no info re get it yourself from the auto coffee dispenser opposite the buffet, the restaurant was always in good order over my stay, which I wonder why they can't keep pouring coffee, if not tell the customers about the coffee station, but then if you claim to be 5 star, then you don't have self service coffee station, waiters bring the coffee to you.
The lobby is of the same standard as the Superior rooms, there is a very nice restaurant above the breakfast restaurant but it turns into a divey night club in the evening and does not look at all attractive.
The staff at every point of contact were first rate. I would stay here again, but only if the room rate was better suited to the product. I believe you can do better for price in ADL.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking North Terrace, even if you are in a cheaper lower floor room at least you...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback. I was disappointed to learn that your experience during your stay was not all that you expected. When booking through third party websites, you may be aware, there is an option of a bedding request that is only a request for that specific type of room that is booked, however I was happy to hear that you were able to upgrade to one of our executive rooms. For your information, we are working towards undergoing a refurbishment of various areas of the Hotel including our guest rooms to bring them back to the level in line with a 5 star experience. If you decide to book again I recommend booking directly through our Stamford website as we offer the comparable and at times lower rates and packages than over third party websites such as Wotif and Quickbeds. Once again thank you for your feedback and trust that we may welcome you back to Stamford Plaza Adelaide
Kind regards
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 14 March 2012

Stayed just the one night after flying in from another state. The staff were great, helpful and professional.
Had trouble parking our Hilux in the car park as the roof was too low so had to pay the $26 for Valet.
The room was a decent size, but expected a little bit more. We only had one towel in our room and the bathroom was a bit average, shower over bath and the water seemed to go everywhere. Comfortable bed. Had a city view,which was a bit more like a carpark view but we were only there the on night.
Staff were the highlight.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
RajKakarla, Manager at Stamford Plaza Adelaide, responded to this review, 15 March 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the comments regarding your recent stay with us at the Stamford Plaza Adelaide. As a standard, there should be a minimum of 2 towels in each room and my apologies that there was 1 less in your room. The comments have been forwarded to our housekeeping team to avoid a recurrence. We do appreciate your feedback of the service and as you recognized, our staff are our true assests and they endeavour to give the best service to our guests at all times. Our refurbishment program includes updating the bathroom and am sure that you will see a notable diffrerence in the presentation of the rooms next time you stay with us.
Looking forward to your next experience with us.

Australian Capital Territory, Australia
Reviewed 13 March 2012

Maybe I got the Tripadvisor review wrong, I thought this was rated as number 1. The staff were lovely, very obliging, and we LOVED Adelaide, it was our first visit. The location was very good, and the transport was great. The hotel, hm. Little brown mouse really. Everything was brown, the walls, the woodwork, the bedspread, the paintings on the wall. The bathroom had obviously been refurbished, but not enough, a very small bath with a HIGH shower overhead, (I hate water on my head, and it was non adjustable), why not just a shower room instead of a cracked bath with a nasty clinging shower curtain? I didn't think the cleaning service was up to standard, there was a large black hair in the bath, not mine, and no cleaning done as such, just a made up bed and replacement of towels and soap. No G3 in the rooms in this day and age? I met another client in the G3 ZONE who said he had paid over $900 for 2 nights in a suite and nearly walked out on arrival. Hm, says a lot. 4 star? sorry, not in my book. BUT ADELAIDE, I could rave about all day, I LOVED ADELAIDE, I thought it was the most lovely liveable city I have ever been too. Clean, spotless, beautiful parks and gardens, like Canberra (my home town) was, 20 years ago. Go Adelaide, I want to come back and visit. As a city, you should have a five star rating!!

Room Tip: The room overlooking the park had a nice view.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LC1954
Dear Guest,
Please accept my apologies that the room you were allocated did not meet your expectations in this instance. In fact, our bathrooms have not yet been refurbished however we are currently finalising the prototype rooms in preparation for a full refurbishment of all our guest rooms and this will include the installation of shower screens in the bathrooms. I am delighted you enjoyed our wonderful city and trust you’ll give us the opportunity to host you again on a future stay.
Ceduna, Australia
Reviewed 11 March 2012

have stayed at the stamford a few times travelling in from the country and my work has used them as well The service and the rooms have been good , quiet and clean .Unfortunately on my last visit to the stamford on stepping out of the lift and walking into my room there was a strong odour of smoke , looking around the room there was cigarette burn in the chair, no towels in the bathroom , coulldnt turn the tv on or access movies and no aircon ( room was hot).....They rectified the towels and got the tv going after the 3rd attempt , though no movies at all for the whole stay , smoke smell lingered and the front desk sent a pedistial fan up for aircon For $160 + a night its unacceptable and i was so disappointed that i nearly packed up and left..........had room service and the food was o.k and staff friendly. I did complain but just got lip service , thought a refund in order due to the room they advertised wasnt what i got at all............................

Room Tip: go to the oaks down the road
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank glendaconnellan
Dear Guest,

I was very disappointed to hear that your latest visit with us did not meet your expectations. As you mentioned in your posting, this was very unusual and I sincerely apologise that this experience has damaged your opinion of us. Should you grant us the opportunity of hosting you again I am sure you will find everything in order. Please contact me directly so that I may personally take care of you next time you stay.

Darwin, Australia
Reviewed 11 March 2012

This hotel is like your 15 year old kitchen, it masquerades as 5 star yey is in sore need of a total refit. Situated in a great location and structually sound the rooms are tired and the decor is dated

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank John L
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your candid feedback. You will no doubt be pleased to hear that we are currently finalising our prototype rooms in preparation for a full refurbishment. In the meantime we continue in our commitment to service excellence, ensuring all guests receive a warm welcome and are made to feel at home during their stay.

Best regards
Sydney
Reviewed 4 March 2012

The public areas are a bit tired. I was there probably the busiest week end of the year and they seemed to cope ok. The room was good - quiet and clean. Bathroom again a bit dated. The location is excellent. Very convenient.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
RajKakarla, Manager at Stamford Plaza Adelaide, responded to this review, 8 March 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback. March is one of the busiest and most exciting months for the state. The Adelaide Fringe Festival, the largest Arts Festival in Australia and the second largest Fringe Festival in the world; Clipsal 500 Adelaide, recognised as the best event on the Australian motor sport calendar; Womadelaide, the nation's best outdoor music event; Adelaide Cup Carnival; Cricket at the Adelaide Oval; Australian Swimming Championships; and The Garden of Unearthly Delights are a taste of what Adelaide has to offer, and I hope that you had the opportunity to be a part of some of the activities during your stay.
I am pleased to read that you found our staff efficient and able to provide the same high standards of service during this busy period. We have also commenced the refurbishment of the hotel which we can assure will improve the quality of stay for our guests.
Thank you again and I look forward to your next visit with us.

Best Regards