“Great stay but needs improvement”

Stamford Plaza Adelaide
Ranked #12 of 57 Hotels in Adelaide
Adelaide, Australia
“Great stay but needs improvement”
Reviewed 29 August 2012 via mobile

Overall our stay was very pleasant. The staff were friendly and reasonably efficient, the room comfortable, the breakfast very good value (and quite delicious too) and, having never taken advantage of valet parking before, I rather enjoyed the convenience of being able to ring Concierge and having my car appear at the door as I left the hotel. However there were a few minor details which point to opportunities for this property to improve their standards.

1: I never recieved a confirmation email when I booked the room, and when I contacted the hotel the day before my arrival to be sure that my booking existed, it took them 5 hours to find it.

2: Upon Check-in I was informed that my card would be charged for the total of my stay, plus $100. I understand that the majority of hotels these days will seek authorisation for a small amount extra but every other hotel I have stayed at has charged me 15% at most. As it is, my card being a debit card and only having funds to cover the room, my partner had to locate an ATM to see if he had enough to be able to pay the extra charge me. Rather embarrassing start to what was intended as a pleasant weekend away together.

3: It would seem that the staff are in the habit of assuming that every guest has stayed at the hotel before. My room package included complimentary breakfast, however I was not told where this was and it wasn't until some time after we checked in that I discovered the hotel has several restaurants. On our way out that afternoon I asked a lady at the concierge desk where we ought to go for breakfast and she seemed surprised that we needed to ask, but told us which restaurant, and that breakfast was open from 6am.

4: the check out process is unusually complicated. Guests are asked upon checkout to wait in the lobby while someone checks there room, and only after the desk has been told the room is fine may the guest leave. This makes for a very crowded lobby at checkout time.

Once again, all in all a very pleasant stay and I am already considering coming back, but perhaps a review of these areas will prevent a more fussy guest from turning away and refusing to return.

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ladia2287
Justin_Higgins, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Adelaide, responded to this review, 10 September 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. Please accept my apologies for the problems you experienced with your reservation confirmation. Your feedback has been addressed with the relevant departments and we look forward to your return to the Stamford Plaza Adelaide in the future.
Justin Higgins

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Sydney
Reviewed 29 August 2012

I have stayed in this hotel second time in one year. The room I have stayed recently have been refurbished very nicely.

Had dinner at the Rickshaw Restaurant whihc has great choice of both Western and Malaysian/ Singaporean selection. Wine list is pretty good with reasonable prices.

Overall enjoyed the stay and the breakfast is pretty good as well.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Siva_Brabaakaran
Justin_Higgins, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Adelaide, responded to this review, 5 September 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I was pleased to learn that your stay in a recently renovated room met your expectations and I was delighted that you enjoyed the food & wine selection in Rickshaws Restaurant. Thank you again for your positive comments, they are appreciated. I trust that we may look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Stamford Plaza Adelaide in the future.
Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 28 August 2012 via mobile

Having stayed here numerous times, it was nice to be back again. I always like staying at the Stamford. It is so central to everything I need. Rundle Mall is around the corner, you can hop onto the tram out front to get a ride to central market and festival theatre was across the road to catch a show. Fantastic!
My room was on the 16th floor with a park view,so had a perfect view, especially with the city lights.
My experience from arrival to departure was exceptional. Alex again had remembered me from previous visits and the front desk were very courteous.
Loved my buffet breakfast, having smoked salmon was exceptional and the pancake machine was still there. What a treat.
I will definitely return again.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank misslizziGC
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I agree that we do enjoy a great location in the CBD with great views and we are always delighted to hear that our staff are upholding our exceptional service standards. I was also pleased to read that you were satisfied with the service and the majority of your expectations were met. I have passed on your compliments regarding our breakfast to my Food and Beverage Director and Executive Chef. Thank you again for your comments, they are appreciated, and we look forward to welcoming you back some time soon.
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 26 August 2012 via mobile

The majority of my feedback is that this is a great hotel. My room was very comfortable and just perfect in size, the staff very friendly and in general my stay was quite pleasant. I took advantage of the 'melt into winter' package which included complimentary parking and buffet breakfast, although I ended up having to ask concierge where to go for breakfast as the hotel has several restaurants and that information was not volunteered. I was also given a food and beverage voucher for $10, which I thought was a lovely gesture, although I discovered when I got to my room that it wasn't available for room service. I also learnt upon check-in that the hotel's policy was to seek authorisation for the cost of the room plus $100. I have stayed in hotels many times and the mose extra that has ever been requested was 10%. My partner ended up having to find an ATM as I only had enough funds for the room. I also had to chase up the email confirmation for my booking; I never did receive it and when I contacted the hotel the day before I was due to arrive it took them 5 hours to find my booking. I still did not get an official confirmation, just an email telling me that they had located my booking, which left me anxious as I could not be sure that they had found the correct information. But that said, I would consider coming back. Perhaps reviewing the booking and check in process and encouraging the front of house staff to go the extra mile for the guests would reduce the number of unpleasant surprises which would potentially turn other guests away would help encourage repeat visits

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. Please accept my apologies for the problems that you experienced with your reservation and at Check-in, which I have subsequently addressed with my Reservations Manager and Front Office Manager to ensure we are maintaining our standards. I was pleased to learn the your room was comfortable and met your expectations. Thank you again for your comments, they are appreciated, and I trust we have the opportunity to welcoming you back some time soon.
Reviewed 26 August 2012 via mobile

Stayed for one night as part of a 'groupon' deal. The room was a deluxe room, I think this was one up from the standard room and we were pleasantly surprised. Room was clean and new and had a good view of the city. The staff were attentive upon checkin and were very friendly. The buffet breakfast has limited choices and would have preferred a few more 'sweet' breakfast options. Would recommend this hotel to others for a short stay or romantic getaway.

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I am delighted to learn that your stay with us was pleasant and you enjoyed the views. We pride ourselves on providing exceptional customer service so I was pleased to read that you were satisfied with the service provided and that your expectations were met. We are always happy to hear that our staff are upholding our service standards. Thank you for the positive feedback on our Hotel, it is appreciated. I trust that we may look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Stamford Plaza Adelaide in the future.
UAE
Reviewed 22 August 2012

Fantastic and attentive staff that demonstrate both professional and personal etiquette. The junior suite was very comfortable for our week stay, and as regular travellers, the staff and facilities are exceptional for Adelaide.

Room Tip: The more guests you have it pays to upgrade to a suite. The hotel provides facilities for kids (roll...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Ric B
Justin_Higgins, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Adelaide, responded to this review, 29 August 2012
Dear Guest
We are very thankful for your positive feedback on the hotel, the service and staff. It is always good to hear this from regular travellers and I trust we will have the opportunity to welcoming you back to the Stamford Plaza Adelaide in the future.
Down Under
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Quite an adequate hotel, but just feels like it is getting tired, in many ways. I found the staff to be warm, but not very engaged in the process of looking after us. No one was there to great our car when we arrived and the reception process was clunky to say the least.

My room was really average. It had everything in it and I had a nice view out over the casino and parks, but it was just so tired and I thought overpriced. Room service was pretty average too. I use the staple "Club Sandwich Test" to rate my hotels. If they can't get that right, then there is an issue. :-) We ate out

I was travelling with a colleague and we both said we would not return to this hotel until they have given it a good renovation.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank TravellinRooster
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I appreciate your comments regarding the need for refurbishment of the guest room and for your information you will be pleased to note that the refurbishment will begin in September. Thank you again for your comments, they are appreciated.