“Good location, friendly service, will be great once reno complete”

Stamford Plaza Adelaide
Ranked #12 of 57 Hotels in Adelaide
Australia
“Good location, friendly service, will be great once reno complete”
Reviewed 27 January 2013

Given the hotel is in the process of a renovation and they clearly realise the hotel is looking a bit tired, it's not fair to dwell on this point. The only point I would make is I'm glad we were upgraded to a deluxe suite. Room was large, king size bed, plenty of room to stretch out but bathroom a bit small.

Staff at check-in were very helpful and welcoming. Hotel is clean and in a good location. If possible ask for a room facing North Terrace on a high floor and you will have views over Adelaide oval, Parliament House, Government House and the parklands.

Did not use the pool but was busy, so a good sign!

1 Thank Travel_Addicts97
Peter G, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Adelaide, responded to this review, 5 February 2013
Dear Guest
We are very thankful for your positive feedback on the hotel and your honest comments will help us continue to strive to provide service excellence and a memorable experience. As you are aware, we are currently undertaking a refurbishment of our guest rooms to bring them back to the level in line with a 5 star experience. We agree that our location is ideally located within walking distance of the various iconic CBD features. We pride ourselves on providing exceptional customer service and was delighted to learn that our staff were helpful and welcoming. Thank you again for your comments, they are appreciated, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the newly refurbished Stamford Plaza Adelaide some time soon.
Peter Gee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 24 January 2013

As a visitor to Adelaide I was affronted by the unwelcoming nature from the front desk at the Stamford. The chap at check-in was only interested in getting hold of my credit card details and a photocopy of my ID (is this legal??), he explained it was due to fraud. I just love being called dishonest and a fraudster! Particularly when my accommodation had already been paid in full.

The accommodation I booked was suppose to include breakfast, however when I enquired to where breakfast would be served the person at the front desk said it wasn’t included and did nothing to correct the problem. He seem delighted and pointed me to the concierge where I could find out how much breakfast would cost. Also be aware that Internet “access” included for your room just means that it is “available” and that you have to pay extra for “access”.

The rooms as mentioned by previous respondents are tired. The room I was in was clean, was a good size, had a good quality queen size bed, which was conducive to a good nights sleep. The bathroom was small with a shower in a thin bath and a shower curtain (really … !!). The tiles in the bathroom room were extremely tired with ingrained mould and dirt in the grout. Although the bathroom was clean it was well past its use by date. The housekeeping staff were extremely welcoming and friendly, I would suggest that maybe they could train the people at the front desk.

The location was very good with the Adelaide shops, Casino, Cricket Ground and river just a few minutes walk away.

In conclusion, I suggest when in Adelaide to try other hotels first before this one. I will be.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I regret that the request for your credit card was not handled properly. Our policies are similar to all major hotels in Australia, but clearly this was not conveyed in an appropriate manner and this has been followed up to prevent a recurrence. Free internet is an option we are currently reviewing as the hotel is undergoing refurbishment however complimentary WiFi access is available in the hotel lobby. You will also be pleased to note that we are currently undertaking a refurbishment of our guest rooms to bring them back to the level in line with a 5 star experience and I trust that we may look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the newly refurbished Stamford Plaza Adelaide in the future.
Ingham QLD
Reviewed 23 January 2013

The hotel is one of the best in Adelaide, the staff are outstanding in thier jobs and the resteraunts are out of this world, it has everything the traveller needs and its location is close to everything ( Casino, Rundell Mall , King George Street ), buses and trams are right out front of the hotel and are free in the city limits, 4 days there was not long enough, but will go back next in Adelaide,the breakfast will blow you away.

Room Tip: our room was a standard twin but was excellent
1 Thank Rickyb595
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide your excellent feedback. I am delighted to learn that your stay with us was enjoyable and we agree that our location is ideally located within walking distance of the various iconic CBD features and a tram ride through the city’s heart is free. We pride ourselves on providing exceptional customer service and our staff are very professional. We appreciate your compliments on our restaurants and breakfast buffet, they are appreciated. Thank you again for your positive comments and I trust that we may look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Stamford Plaza Adelaide in the future.

Mornington Peninsula, Australia
Reviewed 23 January 2013 via mobile

The service is excellent, as you would expect from a hotel of this status. Central Adelaide location is handy for business & tourist visitors. Rooms are clean & comfortable, but I have had larger rooms for considerably less money in other capital cities.All in all a pleasant stay.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank PeteLozsadventures
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. We are very thankful for your positive feedback on the hotel and the service. I was delighted to learn that your stay with us was pleasant and the clean comfortable rooms and CBD location met your expectations. We pride ourselves on providing exceptional customer service so I was pleased to read that you were satisfied with the excellent service provided. I trust that we may look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Stamford Plaza Adelaide in the future.

Albury, Australia
Reviewed 21 January 2013

Recently stayed here for 7 nights. Room was great, not tired at all like previous reviews,and very spacious. Breakfast was even better, and had a huge variety to choose from. The staff were excellent and extremely helpful. The Stamford is situated in a great location virtually opposite the Adelaide Casino, and a very nice Pub with great meals just down the road. A 24hr conveinant shop is located next door with very friendly staff. Rundle Mall is only a small stroll away as is the trams. A pool on the top level was a great relief from the searing hot weather with plenty of seats and lounge chairs available. Would not hesitate to stay here again

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I agree that we do enjoy a great location in the CBD, close to all amenities and with great views. I am pleased that the guest room met your expectation and appreciate your compliments on our breakfast buffet. We are always delighted to hear that our staff are upholding our exceptional service standards and that you found them particularly helpful. Thank you again for your positive comments, they are appreciated and I trust that we may look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Stamford Plaza Adelaide in the future.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 19 January 2013

Not really what you would expect from a hotel described as '5 Star'. While the staff were great - really helpful - the rooms were tired and rather lacking. The swimming pool was described as heated to 25C - maybe they had a power failure! (Just to add that the roof-top pool has one of the best views over Adelaide possible.

We only had one meal - the buffet breakfast - which was very good.

A great position to see Adelaide - right next to a tram stop, and easy walking distance to most places. Well worth it for that.

And my main gripe? The price of their internet! Later on this trip we sat in pubs with free internet - to be asked to pay the Stamford rates was outrageous!

Room Tip: South facing rooms have a great view over a multi-storey car park.
2 Thank PeterY2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. Our roof top pool is heated, but unfortunately the wind chill factor is a deterent and we try to provide a consistent temperature all year round. I agree that we do enjoy a great location in the CBD, close to all amenities and with great views from our roof top pool area. I appreciate your compliments on our breakfast buffet which I will pass on to our Executive Chef. Free internet in your room is an option we are currently reviewing as the hotel is undergoing refurbishment however complimentary WiFi access is available in the hotel lobby. Thank you again for your comments, they are appreciated and I trust that we may look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Stamford Plaza Adelaide in the future.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 18 January 2013 via mobile

We have stayed at the Stamford on two occasions this month, both times we found the rooms great, the staff were excellent and very helpful, great breakfast and the restaurant was wonderful. We would definitely stay there again when I next visit Adelaide as it is very centrally located, easy walking distance to trams, rundle mall and casino.

Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ron C
Dear Guest
We are very thankful for your positive feedback on the hotel and it is always good to hear this from a loyal guest. While all our guests are important, especially so are our returning guests. I am pleased that the guest room met your expectation and thank you for your compliments on our buffet breakfast and restaurant, they are appreciated. I’m delighted that you found our staff very helpful, as all our staff strive to provide exceptional service and agree that our location is ideally located within walking distance of the various iconic CBD features.Thank you again for your positive comments and I trust that we may look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Stamford Plaza Adelaide in the future.