“Heading in a good direction!”

Stamford Plaza Adelaide
Ranked #12 of 57 Hotels in Adelaide
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Heading in a good direction!”
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

This hotel is central adelaide with a great location. It seems like they are a good way through some major changes and I am happy to say we benefited from most of them.

Firstly we got one of the recently refurbished rooms. Whilst I would say they are still some details that could be worked on there (room 1108 had big dent in wall shoddily plastered over), overall the room was spacious and had everything we needed.

We wanted a brief gym session, so headed to the gym on the top floor. It seems almost brand new and has everything you need for a decent workout.

Next we lay in the sun by the rooftop pool. Again this seems all new and is perfect for the hotel (note the paint on the pool floor seems like it needs attention).

The only negative in our stay was dinner. The restaurants are still being worked on and the temporary set up is dreary, lacking in atmosphere and the food was not that great.

The plus side for the food is the breakfast. Great array of choices and really enjoyed.

I think it's clear there is work going on here, but they are heading in the right direction - worth a stay if you are in Adelaide!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Craigsoota
Karl U, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Adelaide, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Hi Craigsoota,

Thank you for your review and Im pleased to hear you were impressed with the recent refurbishment of the Stamford Plaza. Our rooms refurbishment is now complete as is our lobby, gym and pool area and Im glad that you were able to enjoy these areas. The pool floor will be repainted but we are waiting for cooler weather so as not to disturb our summer guests.

I am sorry that your dinner was not all that you expected but you will be pleased to know that La Boca, our new Argentinean grill and bar, will open next Wednesday and Ginza, the Japanese restaurant is also due for opening later this month and we are pleased to be able to offer some exciting new cuisine to our guests.

Please let me know when you will visit us again and I will personally show you through our new restaurants.

Executive Assistant Manager, Stamford Plaza

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (426)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed here 5 years ago and just loved it. Unfortunately this will be our last stay at the Stamford Plaza. On arrival we searched for 5 minutes for someone to help us with our luggage and eventually had to get a trolley and handle it ourselves as the taxi was keen to leave. There were many workmen in the foyer so it was very noisy and only one person on the front desk so the wait for check-in was at least 15 minutes despite there being no-one else waiting to be checked in.

We were told our breakfast was included on check-in and on our first morning at breakfast but on the second morning the Manager on Duty approached us at the breakfast table and told us that breakfast was not included and we would have to pay for it.

2 of the restaurants were closed and there were minimal staff in the bar and the one restaurant which was open. We ordered coffee and after 20 minutes enquirer as to it whereabouts only to be told "they forgot.

So easier to order Room Service you might think. 5 phone calls later someone called back to ask what we wanted. "Everyone was busy with a wedding" so no, they could not do the Spring Rolls, but could do a sandwich. We decided to settle for an egg and lettuce sandwich but.........."sorry, we have no egg ready and too busy to cook any". We settled for Wedges which arrived 30 minutes later.

Although we stayed for 5 nights the mini-bar was not restocked and our bin was not emptied most days.

On the plus side, the location is great but there's many other motels in the area and next time we will be choosing one of those.

(We were not advised about restaurants being closed when we booked and were certainly not given warning of renovations either.)

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank goodfoodfor2
Hi goodfoodfor2,

I am very sorry that you have had such a negative experience with our hotel and rest assured I have taken all of your comments onboard. Unfortunately, your stay coincided with the final stages of our refurbishment which has resulted in the workmen present and restaurants closed for upgrading. You will be pleased to know the guest room and lobby upgrades are now complete and we have two new restaurants to open this month, La Boca (Argentinean grill) and Ginza (Japanese).

I am disappointed to hear of the service you encountered both at front desk and within the room service departments, and please know that this falls short of our standards. I have raised the incidents with the relevant departments and a review of our service procedures is now underway.

Should you wish to give the Stamford Plaza another try in the future, please contact me directly and I will personally ensure your stay is a memorable one for all the right reasons.

Executive Assistant Manager, Stamford Plaza
Sydney
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Service was stellar. Everyone was so polite and helpful. Booked through a travel site and received a free continental breakfast. Bed was very comfortable, pillows were great, wonderful view, perfect location. Couldn't ask for anything else. Will definitely recommend to others and return.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Karl U, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Adelaide, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Hi jms25,

Thank you for your review, it is very pleasing to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our facility and team met your expectations. Our refurbishment is nearly complete, so next time you visit us you will notice two new restaurants, La Boca and Ginza, are open to make your stay even more enjoyable.

Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you in the future.

Perth
Reviewed 4 March 2014

The location of the Stamford is terrific but it definitely does not live up to its 5 star rating. There is some refurbishment work going on at moment with scaffolding, painters in the foyer etc but you have to expect that at times and it’s not too intrusive.

What concerned us during our stay (and fortunately it was only one night) was the continual noise from the lifts – at first we thought it was the tram line that is nearby but later came to realise there is a major problem with the lift operation. When we subsequently looked on trip adviser we realised we were not the first to be disrupted by this problem. There are several mentions of this in the reviews and there are responses from the hotel itself vowing to look into it. Obviously they don't think it's worth looking at because the problem (and it's a very big one) still exists.

And as bad as it was in our room on the 12th floor, when you go up to the pool / gym on the 20th floor the noise is almost deafening – just not what you’d expect from a high class facility.

The rooms themselves are nicely appointed but the bathroom we had was really very small. For some reason the shower recess is actually raised about 10 cm above the bathroom floor (part of a renovation ??) so when you get in there the head room clearance is negligible – I am talking only a matter of 3-4 centimetres, so it really feels quite cramped.

This was a disappointing end to a fantastic visit to Adelaide. There are much nicer places to stay so I would not reccomend staying here.

Room Tip: Don't get a room anywhere near the lifts but unfortunately I think the noise issue is throughout...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi JPV Perth,

Thank you for your review for the Stamford Plaza as it allows us to identify issues and areas where we can improve operations. We are pleased to report that our refurbishment is close to completion and as a result we have a new lobby, refurbished rooms and two new restaurants, La Boca and Ginza opening this month. Thank you for your understanding regarding the works.

I am sorry to hear that the lift noise disrupted your stay - we have arranged for the bearings to be serviced and this has recitfied the issue throughout the hotel. I will continue to monitor this to ensure it does not return as an issue to our guests.

Kind regards,
Picton, Australia
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

Spent the clipsal 500 staying on level 19 which I thought would be awesome until I got into the room and heard the continual noise from the lift! Bed was good and comfortable pillows were terrible!

On check out I explained my concern and got a polite smile and ok thanks ill get my manager to give you a call! To my suprise that call never happened! Probably heading back to the mantra next year I think!

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Hi Russell K,

Thank you for your review and apologies for the issues that disrupted your stay. We have since arranged new lift bearings and are pleased to report the noise issues have ceased. Although I'm glad to hear that the bed was comfortable, it's disappointing you weren't satisfied with the quality of pillows. In the future we are looking at implementing a pillow menu to ensure bedding is suited to guests.

In regards to you not receiving a call back, I do apologise and have raised the issue with the front desk who are implementing procedures to ensure it does not get missed again. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Stamford Plaza and encourage you to contact me directly when you visit us again so that I can make certain your stay is a pleasant one.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

Rather old and charming hotel, with cavernous spaces, a clubby feel and well positioned, reminding me of an Adelaide now rather past. However I was charged $30 for mini bar that I did not use, suddenly on leaving after a four night stay.The desk clerk advised me that they would investigate but I have heard nothing: beware.

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Loppre
Karl U, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Adelaide, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear Loppre,
You are right – the position of the hotel is second to none! We are currently concluding extensive refurbishment programs to public areas, guest rooms as well as Food & Beverage areas! We are mindful to retain the charm of the hotel in this process and also ensure and facilities offered are at the highest level!
Apologise for the error in the accounting of Mini Bar and please let me know direct on karlunterfrauner@stamford.com.au if this has not been addressed.

We look forward to welcome you back to Stamford Plaza Adelaide soon!

Karl Unterfrauner
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Stayed 2 nights last week and this was improved from my last visit 2 years ago. On my last visit I had found the room dirty like the last reviewer but on this occasion my room appeared freshly renovated, was spacious and clean. The renovations in the lobby should also improve the experience. The buffet breakfast was adequate but on the Friday morning at 7 no one cooking fresh eggs which was disappointing.
Easy walk to Rundle mall and restaurants of Weymouth St which is a bonus

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Jennifer95_11
Dear Jennifer95_11,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay! I am very pleased to hear you were satisfied with the condition of your room and that we were able to improve on your previous visit. Thank you also for your comments regarding our refurbishment and you will be pleased to know we are in the final stages of this process and we are very happy with the results.

Karl Unterfrauner