“Average Business Hotel”

Ranked #13 of 57 Hotels in Adelaide
South Melbourne
“Average Business Hotel”
Reviewed 3 September 2014

The hotel self-rated as a 5 star but it is likely a 4 star hotel in my opinion. Don't be fooled like I did while looking at their website. You will not get anywhere near the 5 star services that you would usually get from any 5 star hotels. Stayed here 4 nights for a conference/business last week.

The hotel is well-positioned and centrally located, walking distance to the mall/shopping area, opposite the casino and train station, restaurants, and the tourist attractions (Adelaide Oval, Adelaide Festival Centre etc).

Upon arrival at usual check in time (2pm), minor negatives such as there was no offer at all by the attendant to carry my bag on the trolley or to my room, and the concierge was small, and not well-lit (low ceiling makes it feel cramp). Checking in was very slow. There was only one person at the concierge to help with check ins. Not until there was an 8-person-line was there another person came to help at the counter.

I got a higher floor room with some 'view' (Westpac building and a parking lot). When checking in, ask for a room overlooking North Terrace or you will get the parking lot view like I did. During check in, I just asked for a higher floor room with a 'view' which was my fault for not being specific, though I have never been to Adelaide before so would not have known.

The room was clean and spacious, and the bed was comfortable. There was no issues with the AC as mentioned by previous posters.

The room itself was very outdated. The bathroom had a shower curtain! When was the last time you see a shower curtain instead of glass panel in a hotel let alone a self-rated 5 star hotel?

Housekeeping on my first day was rude. They insisted multiple times on wanting to make up the room even after I asked them to come back later as I just woke up. Otherwise, the staff has been pleasant through out my stay.

Did not try the breakfast but ordered room service a couple of times and I feel that the food was excellent, though the service was a bit slow (40mins from ordering time). One of the days they got my order wrong and compensated it with a free dessert which was a good gesture/service on their behalf.

For the price I paid, I was slightly disappointed with my stay and the service. Will most likely look for other hotel the next time I am in Adelaide (especially for the price I pay). Overall, definitely not a 5 star hotel due to its service quality.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Shaq M
Karl U, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Adelaide, responded to this review, 4 September 2014
Dear Shaq M,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel; we greatly appreciate.

We have refurbished most of our rooms last year and are currently in the planning stage for the few rooms left to update.
I am glad you enjoyed our room service offer and I will discuss guest interaction with our housekeeping department. Here at Stamford Plaza Adelaide, we pride ourselves in good customer service and I am disappointed to read they were rude; please allow me to apologise on their behalf.

Once again Shaq, thank you for taking the time to send us some feedbacks, we will share them with our team.

Karl Unterfrauner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (426)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 2 September 2014

My stay here was fine. It was clean, the rooms were spacious, comfortable bed (great pillow) and rooms are very spacious. But the hotel is getting tired, with outdated aircon, scuffed walls, and looking a little old. It's not in a great part of town either, so I didn't feel overly safe looking for a chemist after hours. Service was very good and there were nice views.

Room Tip: The higher up you go the better the views of Adelaide
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Karl U, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Adelaide, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Dear JKLABAUS,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay; we are glad to read it was fine.

Most of the rooms were refurbished last year and it is our goal to continue to upgrade our products and services.

JKLABAUS, North Terrace is very central. We have the Botanical garden, The State library of SA, the Art Gallery of SA, the South Australia Museum and yes other more ‘’colourful’’ surroundings.

Next time you are in Adelaide, we hope to welcome you back.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 2 September 2014

Stayed here recently, end of August, very friendly staff on arrival, nothing too much bother. Was upgraded on arrival to a newly refurbished city view room, not sure how different from the standard room we had booked. Rooms were nothing special, tidy and a place for everything but very noisy due to some sort of pump or generator above us, even the bathroom exhaust was loud and no way to turn it off. Opening window was nice though as air conditioning is always stuffy. Central to everything in Adelaide city - location was perfect.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Sue M,

I am glad you enjoyed the location of the Hotel and the service received.
I do not know if you passed on any comments about the noise while you were here; we would have tried to change the room for you.
We do have a Pool pump on the 20th floor; it is on a timer and stops by 9pm. The bathroom exhaust should not have made noise.

Sue M, next time you visit Adelaide, we hope to welcome you again.

Oxenford, Australia
Reviewed 1 September 2014

I stay there quite a bit and they get to know you well and treat you very well which makes you want to come back again. Their breakfast is lovely and they have everything for everyone. The beds are unreal and I love my sleeps there.

Room Tip: Any room is a good room but the higher the better for the view over beautiful Adelaide
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dear Tami R,
Thank you for your lovely comments; they will be passed on to the team.
At Stamford Plaza Adelaide, we pride ourselves in great customer services and it means a lot to us to have our skills recognised.

We look forward to welcome you back, Tami R.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 1 September 2014

Stayed her a few years ago. With the Stamford name comes expectation. The expectation that you will receive the best service, facilities and experience. The Adelaide Plaza lived up to the name. If you like to relax on the balcony overlooking the terrace watching the world go by. This is the place to do it. Luv the Stamford style.

Room Tip: Luxurious accommodation. So quiet, even terrace side. Great service.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Karl U, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Adelaide, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
Dear Steve JW R,
Thank you for your great comment; it will be shared with the team.
Look forward to welcome you again in Stamford Plaza Adelaide.

Kind Regards,
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 31 August 2014

Our experience at the Stamford Plaza was mixed. We booked through Wotif and got a very good deal price-wise, although I'm glad I didn't pay the prices listed as the usual room rate. It's self-rated as 5 stars. We were advised we'd been upgraded to one of the newly refurbished rooms. The room itself (as well as the rest of the hotel) felt a bit dated and old. However, despite the decor, the room itself was a standard hotel room - clean and tidy and containing all the things you would expect from a hotel of this standard. The room was well serviced by the maids/cleaning staff, and it was perfectly put back together when we arrived back at the end of each day.

The hotel is very centrally located on North Terrace, and an easy walk to Rundle Mall, and lots of eateries and shops. We used the concierge service on Sunday morning to seek advice on hiring a car and getting directions and advice on our day trip to the Barossa. We were very happy with the concierge service which was friendly and knowledgeable. We ate breakfast in the restaurant one morning, and took advantage of an offer which meant the price was only $20 each. The buffet was of a good standard, and my partner had an omelette freshly made by the chef, which he said was excellent.

In addition to the general feel of the hotel, which is that it's a bit dated, there were three things about our room we found disappointing. Firstly, the bed was incredibly uncomfortable (very soft). Second, the pillows were the opposite of the bed - really hard. And third, the air-conditioning system was using fahrenheit to record the temperature, which is odd given that Australia converted to metric in the 1960s. I know that issues issues #1 and #2 are often personal preference and it's difficult to please everyone, but as a result of these two things we didn't get a whole lot of sleep the three nights we stayed at the hotel. Add #3 to the first two, and things get a lot more interesting. Trying to convert fahrenheit to celsius at 3am when you've woken up in a lather of sweat is not particularly easy - although, in hindsight, it is kind of funny.

Given the very reasonable price we paid, we feel we got value for money at the Stamford Plaza. However, the next time we are in Adelaide we would probably try somewhere else to see if we can find a more comfortable bed.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ellie S
Karl U, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Adelaide, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Dear Ellie S,
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am glad you found the hotel good value for money and had a good stay overall; I will pass on your kind comments to our concierge team.
Your comment on the airconditioning unit being in Fahrenheit rather than celcius does make sense; I will discuss with our engineering team and see if we can change the display.
Ellie S, I wish you had told us about your pillow preference, we do have different pillow styles avalaible on request.
Ellie S, we wish you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back!

Kind regards,

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Dirty. Extremely cold as air conditioning didn't work
Maintenance couldn't fix. Waited hours with no result
Not impressed at all for a hotel that is meant to be quality
Would not recommend at all.
Surprised that it wasn't a lot better.
Simply dated

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank OZJEREMY
Karl U, Public Relations Manager at Stamford Plaza Adelaide, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear Ozjeremy,

I am disappointed to receive this feedback and apologise your stay was not up to the standard we pride ourselves on.

I would be happy to discuss any issues with you further personally if you would like to email me directly at karlunterfrauner@stamford.com.au