“A bit dissapointing”

Ranked #38 of 57 Hotels in Adelaide
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
“A bit dissapointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2013

We stayed over Easter so perhaps things were quieter than expected but the hotel seemed a little old and tired. The bar and restaurant were shut with a request to use the one at the Chifley grand a little further down the road.

Our room overlooked the car park rather the Adelaide parks and was a little noisy overnight as the soundproofing was not that good.

Having said that the staff were nice and helpful and cannot be faulted. Not too bad a place, but nothing special.

Room Tip: Ask for one facing the park, the car park is not very picturesque.
1 Thank Simon C
ADLOPS, Guest Relations Manager at Chifley on South Terrace, responded to this review, 4 April 2013
Dear Simon C
Thanks for the review on your Easter stay.
We have disclosed the Restaurant and Bar closure on ours and other websites and to our associated travel agencies, etc. & I apologise for any inconvenience you may have experienced due to this. A refurbishment and revitalisation of these facilities are in the planning stages and I am hopeful of a major announcement in this regard shortly. In the meantime, we welcome and encourage guests to utilise Zouk Restaurant located at our sister adjoining property, Grand Chifley Adelaide (Approx 80m walk). Alternatively, meals are also available in the room through our In Room Dining Menu.
We welcome requests for specific outlooks and attempt to honor these whenever possible. We recommend people make such requests by booking early and communicating this to us at that time to avoid disappointment.
We look forward, to welcoming you back to our hotel should your travel path bring you to Adelaide in the future and you choose to stay with us again.

Executive Assistant Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2013

I had to stay in Hotel room for full day due to surgery procedure. Staff were great changed towels and refilled amenities all with out entering room and it was no bother. Great! We were on the !st floor for 2 nights at the front was a bit noisy.

Room Tip: Do not stay on 1st Floor at front quite noisy.
1 Thank Digmar027
Hi Digmar027
Thanks for the review on your recent stay. Our guest comfort is important to us and I am pleased our housekeeping team were able to fulfill their duties without interuption to your recuperation while you were with us.
I hope your recovery is going well and we look forward to welcoming you back when next you stay. If you would prefer a room with a different outlook (perhaps on the opposite side of the building overlooking the city), please let us know when you book.

Damian gillings
North of Adelaide
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2013

My husband and I stayed here last night, and the room was lovely and large, curtains blocked the light nicely. All the employees were helpful and friendly, which is always good! ;) We'll be making this a yearly visit - we were really happy staying here. Fasta Pasta right next door was handy too, as we both felt like pizza for dinner, and their pizza was lovely and fresh. Overall totally happy with our stay

Room Tip: As many other people have said, the lift is kinda clunky - our room was about 4 rooms away from the...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shindria
ADLOPS, Guest Relations Manager at Chifley on South Terrace, responded to this review, 17 March 2013
Dear Shindria
Thanks for your positive review on the stay at Chifley on South Terrace.
It is lovely that your experience has resulted in making this a yearly visit and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back again. Without giving away too much at this time in regard to the bar and restaurant, I am sure when you stay next you will also see more improvements and I certainly look forward to your impression of these.

Country WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2013

Stayed here for two nights. Rooms are large, with great sound proofing and darkening curtains. Yes, hotel is a little aged (lift is pretty rattly) but the staff are good and it is only four floors so try the stairs. Brad and Jan (on front desk) were great and very willing to help with any request. A lovely lounge area- undergoing renovations so bar was out of service. Pool is great and there is plenty of room. Only a 5 minute walk to free tram into the main CBD. Overlooks a lovely little park and there are some great eateries close by.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the lift.
2 Thank TheLyonsPride
Dear TheLyonsPride
Thanks for taking the time to positively review your recent stay at our property.
Your lovely comments and a commendation have been passed on to Jan & Brad and shared also with the entire hotel team.
We look forward to welcoming you back when next you visit.

Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2013

I had the most disappointing experience at this hotel, from check in which was a disaster. I booked through hotels.com provided the hotel with the reservation number and they said we cannot find the booking in our system, an I sure I booked. I said I am not 3 years old, I am sure I booked, I have evidence, after about 30 minutes waiting to see what will be the outcome of this, they finally said ok you can have a room,we have a problem on our end, they made me feel like an idiot.When I got into the room I just wanted to walk straight out again, it smelt horrible, there was dust everywhere, the only upside was that there was a small flatscreen tv. The room was very dated but I know it is a 3.5 star rated hotel and expected tis, but I did not expect when I picked up a glass to fill it with water and there was dirty mould at the bottom of the glass like they have not been cleaned in yrs, you could nnot even scrape this mould off, besides that the road noise outside is not acceptable, I was in room 103 it was facing the street, the advertise a balcony, yes there is but If I had known it was shared with the whole floor I would of not booked, in other words when your sleeping your neighbour can come up to your room from the outside.The bed was uncomfortable and the general cleanliness unacceptable, The biggest problem I found was the service, unfriendly and downright rude, NEVER AGAIN.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank lillypilly72
Dear lillypilly72
I am terribly sorry and apologise for the poor service and experience which you have reported and clearly are not to the generally high standard we would also expect. Rudeness by our staff is unacceptable and this and the other issues you have mentioned will be fully investigated by myself and the senior management team.
Can I please request you to contact me at the property between 7.30am & 4pm Monday to Friday so I can follow this up with you personally.
kind Regards

Executive Assistant Manager

Travellers are raving about these Adelaide hotels

Canterbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2013

Well located hotel not far from the city centre. You can take the free tram from about one block away its a 15 minute walk.
The staff were very friendly and helpful with tips and advice.

Rooms are ok for the price,although in need of an update. Pool is very pleasant and free parking a big plus.

The only minus is the cost of the wifi. Very expensive at $20 for a day. Why can't it be free?!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank jah13
Dear Jah13
Thanks for staying and reviewing your recent experience of our hotel.
Your comments have been shared amongst the team and we are all pleased you enjoyed your stay.
Unfortunately we are unable to offer Free Wifi at this time as the service is contracted to a third party who set the pricing. We are currently in the process of reviewing this arrangement as this facility has changed greatly since the current contract was entered into. In the meantime however there are packages which are available in shorter time and overall useage blocks which may represent better value for our guests. Reception and the Wifi website are both able to assist guests in this regard.
We look forward to welcoming you back when next you visit.
kind Regards

Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2013

We stayed at Chifley on South Terrace for 5 days at the beginning of February. We were so happy with our stay, we returned for one night before leaving Adelaide. Easy ride to/from the airport. We asked for a room away from the lift as I had read on T.A. that it was noisy at night. We were given a lovely room midcorridor, no problem with the lift at all. Overlooking the parkland with lovely views. The balcony isnt a single one, it goes all the way round the hotel, so important to keep your light curtains closed when people may be having a stroll around! Lovely pool area. The bar itself is no longer open, but the Grand Chifley next door has a bar and restaurant open in the evenings. Very reasonable Fasta Pasta a few steps away with good food. 10 mins walk to Central Market, and free trams into town only minutes away on King William St.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Corndolly
Dear Corndolly
Thank you for the review on your recent stays with us. I am pleased you enjoyed our property and facilities and I have commended the hotel team and passed the review on for their reading as well.
We also believe our parklands location is the ideal place from which to explore the many attractions around Adelaide and the FREE city CBD is a great way to get around.
We look forward to welcoming you back should you be returning to Australia and Adelaide in the future (possibly to escape the notorious English winter weather...)