“accomadation and service”

Ranked #36 of 57 Hotels in Adelaide
Bordertown, Australia
“accomadation and service”
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Well off we went to stay at our favourite spot on south terrace where we have stayed multiple times before.Great location great service close to our favourite spot and trams.
As always room clean service great but one little handup booked online and on arrival was told i
would need to pay with card that I had booked with instead of cash ok but then a block was put on the same card ok they said that would be lifted when we left on check out different staff very help proceed to tell us block would be off till next as it was a sunday and on went the sarger needless to say multiple phone call to motel and bank and one week later card was finally un blocked. If only the first guy had said what two other staff after said it was ok to pay by cash as we have always done previously the whole expirence would have been as usual perfect instead now not sure we want to go back again and we have always loved the place.PS was a loud family over head but that happens and we did get to watch a guy across the way having a smoke on the balcony nude so entertainment was good.

Room Tip: We asked for a ground floor with bath and recieved what we requested.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
ADLOPS, Guest Relations Manager at Chifley on South Terrace, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Dear 1962Ruth
Thanks for staying with us again and for your valued feedback
We apologise for any inconvenience you may have experienced whilst the pre-authorisation funds were blocked. I have asked the Front Office Manager to review with the reception team our payment policy options available to guests so this does not occur in future.
I have also asked for a review of where the process may have failed in the speedy unblocking of funds when requested as this should also be a straightforward process, however this may be affected by an individual banks policy/procedure outside of our control.
We would welcome the chance to rectify this recent experience and I do hope you will again consider staying with us when next you come to Adelaide.
Executive Assistant Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Stayed four nights in a very good size queen room with a big shower and fluffy towels. Linens are new, fresh, clean, crisp and updated along with pictures, lampshades and other soft furnishings. The bed was very comfortable. There's an iron/ironing board in the room which isnt always the case these days. Don't be put off because she is showing the wear and tear of being in business for some time, with the bathroom a bit oddly laid out and a paint job required and only one creaking lift to service everyone. Its clean and comfortable and quiet. And there are signs this hotel is being refurbished and I think that will make it a splendid spot. It's beautifully positioned opposite the south park lands (great for a stroll) and easy walk to many restaurants, pubs and cafes. Plus you can pick up the free city tram in the next street that will take you to the mall. Ample parking and the staff are very helpful and friendly. The pool is lovely and well secluded at the back of the hotel and the team do a great job of keeping up with replacing the towels! At the moment there is no food on site (that's the bit being updated as I write) but you only have to go next door to the sister hotel the Grand Chifley for a super full buffet breakfast (love the pancake machine!!) and lunch/dinner restaurant Zouk. You cannot fault the ladies attending diners at breakfast; helpful and super friendly but not intrusive they were great. Make sure you add breakfast to you hotel room price rather than pay as you go - its a bargain.

Room Tip: Ask for one at the back overlooking the pool then you will really avoid any street noise at all
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Eryca-on-hols
ADLOPS, Guest Relations Manager at Chifley on South Terrace, responded to this review, 5 January 2014
Dear Eryca-on-hols
Thanks for the review on your recent stay at Chifley on South Terrace. I am pleased you enjoyed your visit and have shared your comments among our team.
We anticipate the re-opening of the restaurant - to be called "Hanuman Adelaide" - will now occur in the second or third week of January 2014. This is an exciting development for our property and whilst the restaurant is independent to the operations of the hotel, we are sure it will add to our guest's overall experience whilst staying with us. Of course, you do not need to be staying with us to dine in the restaurant (Thai/Indian/Nonya cuisine). Given the popularity of its sister "Hanuman" Restaurants in Darwin, Alice Springs & Cairns, we recommend making a reservation to guarantee a table.
We look forward to welcoming you back when next you visit Adelaide and stay with us.
Regards
Reviewed 25 December 2013

I stayed at the Chifley for one night earlier this month. This place is very old, but it is still comfortable and nice. Though I opted for the stairs over the old lift most of the time..

I stayed in "The Burnside Suite" and I have to say, I was a bit thrown when I walked into the attached 'sitting room', having not experienced a room like this before! It is very old-fashioned but I imagine this would be great to spread out if staying in a group. It was different, but nice.
The walls in this place are paper thin, as I learnt when my I heard my neighbours showering, talking and partying hard later! It didn't bother me as it was in the late afternoon and I was heading out myself, but I can imagine that this would annoy others..

The room was lovely, with a shared balcony (which I didn't use), mini bar and all the amenities you need. After learning about the paper-thin walls, I expected to not have such a great sleep, but the bed was so comfortable, I slept wonderfully.

This isn't a bad hotel at all, it's just old and dated. But I enjoyed my stay here. I might be back next time I'm in Adelaide.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Dear airolgalaviv
Thanks for the review of your recent stay.
As you mention, the Burnside Suite (as well as our other suites) are great for guests requiring a bit of extra room and somewhere to just sit and relax whilst watching television or reading a book. The dining table and chairs are also great for friends sitting around playing cards when the weather outside is poor or you just want a quiet night in :)
i am pleased you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back when next you visit.
Thames, New Zealand
Reviewed 25 December 2013

Stayed at this property for 2 nights. Made good use of the swimming pool first day was lovely and clean. While restaurant and bar was closed could use the facility's next door. I had breakfast next door was a lovely selection of hot and cold food. My room was a good size and while the bathroom need modernising was still clean. For what I paid for this property through expedia II was happy with my choice.

Room Tip: Lifts quite noisey so better to be away from then.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear NZVICKI
I am pleased you enjoyed your recent stay and thank you for sharing this with others via TripAdvisor.
We are sorry for any inconvenience due to our restaurant still undergoing refurbishment - we expect this to now be open around the middle of January 2014. All meals during this time are available from Zouk Restaurant located at our adjoining sister property, Grand Chifley Adelaide during this time and charge back facilities are available for guests with established credit (Credit Card imprint at check-in).
We look forward to welcoming you back next time you return to Adelaide and again stay with us.
Cowra, Australia
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Looking at the photos on the web site, you would think , yes , I would agree a 4 star rating ....what a shock when we arrived !!!. being in our senior years and having stayed in hotels and motels over the past 50 years we feel that a four star should be a 4 star. Perhaps a rating of 3 stars would be more appropriate in this case. Not sure but I think the hotel was "self rated" at 4 stars!!. In urgent need of an refurbish to bring the hotel up to the self rating of 4 stars. The carpets and in particular the entry into the lift is in need of a " good clean ".

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Garry K
ADLOPS, Guest Relations Manager at Chifley on South Terrace, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Dear Garry K
Thanks for the feedback on your recent stay. I have shared your valued comments with our team for improvements and rectification.
Our Self Rating of 4 stars is based on the last official rating conducted prior to many recent improvements we have undertaken and which we genuinely feel reflects a level and 4 star standard when compared with other properties of this rating.
I am excited to be able to inform you and our future guests, the refurbishment of the restaurant and bar is nearing completion and we anticipate re-opening of these areas early January 2014. Once open, these facilities will also add to our amenity and ambience and improve our guest' experience at our property.
I do hope you will return and see our improvements and experience Hanuman Restaurant when next you are in Adelaide.
Thanks again for your feedback
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Great location, just a couple of minutes drive from the heart of Adelaide. Good sized room with two double beds and all the usual amenities, plus free parking. Hotel is older but the room was well cleaned. We had two adjoining rooms which was just what we needed. Street noise wasn't an issue, but the noise from the corridor was a bit disruptive at times. Overall it was good value for money and we would gladly stay again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear freudian__slip67
I am pleased you enjoyed your recent stay and thanks for sharing your review .
Sorry you were disturbed with noise from within the hotel - we will monitor this so as future guests are not unduly disturbed. Our adjoining/Interconnecting rooms are great for families and people travelling together.
We look forward to welcoming you back next visit.

Darwin
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights, with no dramas.
The room is spacious and has all the standard stuff but it is dated, the couch needs replacing and the place could do with an update. We were on the 2nd floor facing the street, noise from other rooms did not effect us, street noise wasnt too bad considering it is a busy road, we could hear people talking in the hall though which was a little annoying but thats inconsiderate people for you.
The location was perfect for us, not far from the city and a short walk to the tram stop.
Free onsite parking which is a rarity these days.
Large pool, although it was too cold for us to swim.
As I said this hotel is dated the elevator is bumpy and scary! but they are currently renovating the restaurant (can still get room service though)
We were happy with our stay for the price we paid.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank VivaDarwin
Dear VivaDarwin
Thanks for reviewing your recent stay at Chifley on South Terrace. I am pleased you enjoyed your visit and apologise for any disturbance from other guests.
I am excited to say our long anticipated Restaurant Upgrade is nearing completion and is currently scheduled to open in early January 2014. This will include the bar and a new al-fresco outdoor area. Cuisine will be a mix of Thai, Nonya & Tamil Flavours and the restaurant will be known as Hanuman Adelaide, operated by Mr Jimmy Shu who's existing Hanuman restaurant's in Darwin, Cairns & Alice Springs are very popular and well known.
We look forward to welcoming you back when next you stay.