“Great location - but missed the Mercure standard”

Mercure Grosvenor Hotel
Ranked #40 of 56 Hotels in Adelaide
Reviewed 23 May 2012

I stayed here for 6 nights on business to attend a large conference. This was one of several hotels I shortlisted for the administrator to book me into and I'm not planning on shortlisting it again. From a location perspective it is right across the road from the Convention Centre, and a short walk from the Rundle Mall (main shopping street) so is in a good spot. However, so are the Sebel Playford, Stamford Plaza, Intercontinental and Oaks.

This is an old hotel that has been taken over by Mercure in 2003 and given a soft refurbishment. From the reviews, they clearly have some nice rooms, but unfortunately I didn't see them. Several travellers have commented on the rabbit's warren of corridors and this is certainly true - exacerbated by the fact that the hotel has obviously annexed an adjacent building and turned it into an extension of the original property, with the addition of "economy rooms".
These are more modern in decor than the original building, with lino (wood look) floors, new bathrooms, better tv's and ipod dock alarm clocks. The downside is that most floors (except for the 2nd floor) don't align with the original building, so you need to go up/down stairs to connect through and there is no lift/elevator in this part of the complex so it's unsuitable for the disabled, elderly or those with heavy luggage. It is a very loooong walk to the elevator to the lobby from these rooms.
It seems that most are also the smallest hotel rooms I have ever seen, more in line with what I would expect from an upmarket backpacker's hostel with own facilities. I arrived with a fractured foot and wearing a foot cast. The first room I was allocated was so far away I knew I would struggle to get to and from the elevator a couple of times a day, so I asked for another room, closer to the elevator. This was granted, at an additional $30 per day and was an upgrade to a "standard" room, and I was told as the hotel was expecting to be full I would be moved BACK to the standard area after 3 nights. Differences are the availability of Foxtel, a little more room (there was an armchair), bigger desk, more tea/coffee selection, minibar availability and a showercap in the bathroom. These rooms are carpeted but the carpet was stained. There is a step up into the bathroom, and the only window was onto an internal well, so no exterior window or view.
The air-conditioning was extremely noisy and not worth putting on as there seems to be no temperature control, only a fan speed. The bathroom was dated and the extractor fan comes on with the light but was so incredibly loud it was excruciating.

Wi-fi is $27.50 for 24 hours but only gives you 30mb of downloads, which doesn't last long so is an extremely expensive way to access the internet.
There is no concierge service at this property, so really based on what I encountered I would say the Economy section was 2.5 stars and the main hotel 3.5 (not 4). Most of the staff I interacted with at the front desk were friendly and helpful, especially Grant who was excellent. A couple need to consider whether they want to be in the service industry at all.

I had coffee in the restaurant once, unfortunately it was so bad I then took to eating next door
at the Sebel.

When I moved back to the Economy wing, I was given a triple room, which has a queen/single configuration giving a bit more walking room. However the bathroom was the smallest I have ever seen and I have seen bigger on a boat. You can wash your hands while sitting on the toilet, and the shower is about 80cm wide at one end and narrows to approx 50cms at the other end, so completely unsuitable for anyone of a larger frame. Having said this, towels were always clean/fluffy and the hairdryer was better than the standard room.

There is no pool, but a small fitness room and a hotel coin-operated guest laundry.

If you are on a strict budget, fit and small-framed with minimal luggage, then the economy offer at this property may suit you. I probably should have had a closer look at the hotel website to see the rooms before sanctioning this hotel for my trip, but having stayed in several Mercure properties previously around the country I anticipated a similar standard.

Room Tip: If in the economy section, ask for the 2nd floor in advance unless you want to take the stairs.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,321)

Reviewed 22 May 2012

The location is excellent with only a 5 minute walk to the mall. Room service was prompt and the food was delicious and reasonably priced. There were hot chocolate sachets with the tea and coffee which always pleases me! I have stayed there a few times and they always make me feel welcome and as though they remember me. Buffet breakfast was included in the special I got and it had a good selection including a pancake machine and yummy blueberry sauce. The rooms are average in size but fine for short stays. I will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank Poolandlocation
Reviewed 20 May 2012

Unfortunately this hotel was booked by someone else. I usually book my own travel for business.
This hotel dissapointed from the moement I checked in. A true rabbit warren to find my room. Third floor but down a flight of stairs right at the back. One might say floor 2.5!!
My room, one might say a cupboard. I cant recall ever staying in a room where the side of the bed was up against a wall. My next dissapointment occured after I turned the TV on. There was no digital free to air channels. Australia has had digital TV channels for over 5 years now and for a braded hotel chain not to have updated their network is downright disgraceful. I can excuse the embarassingly small bathroom. Night one of four. Its going to be a fun week!!!

Room Tip: Choose anothe hotel
Reviewed 19 May 2012

the staff were extremely helpful & the hotel is centrally located
the food in the restaurant was of a high quality and service was good even on a busy night
the room was excellent and bed reasonably comfortable althogh a little hard for s.

Reviewed 19 May 2012

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 May 2012

Location is brilliant. Convention Centre, casino and tram stop are at its doorstep and Rundle Mall (for shopping) is within 10 minutes walking distance. My basic room was not carpeted which was quite uncomfortable for a winter day. Was unimpressed by housekeeping which did not provide slippers, shower cap, also discovered a thick layer of dust underneath my bed while reaching for something that rolled under.

Staff was rather friendly and helpful with information. The hotel is really old but seems to have gone through some updates recently but for bigger-sized guests, I do not recommend the basic room as the bathroom was small even for an Asian girl like me.

Reviewed 17 May 2012

I enjoyed my stay here, however, the only thing that I found strange was that the hotel was laid out rather weirdly. It felt like a maze navigating to my room, and was a mission with luggage & shopping.

I stayed in an economy room, and it is single studio with a small bathroom. It did the job, and I would definitely go back.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo