“A real disappointment”

Mercure Grosvenor Hotel
Ranked #39 of 57 Hotels in Adelaide
“A real disappointment”
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

I've been in submarines with a bigger bathroom and shower. New fittings but impossible to tell which was hot or cold taps! No aircon, room was stuffy. Tried calling reception twice without success. Four pillows all very soft. Bed was ok. The worse was the carpet in the hotel and my room, really needed a clean! I paid for a superior room ! Car park is small ! There are better places to stay in Adelaide !

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
MercureHotelGM, General Manager at Mercure Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this review, 25 May 2014

Thank you for your review. Might be a bit of a stretch on the submarine sized bathrooms, I worked on cruise ships and the bathrooms were a lot smaller than our bathrooms. They certainly are not huge here, but they are certainly similar or larger than most of the hotels I have managed around Australia.

I have met with the Housekeeping Manager this morning about the carpets, and he assured me that all carpets have been steam cleaned over the past 8 weeks, and of course the daily vacuuming that happens as part of our service. It may be more of the colour that was chosen when installed, they are a very beige colour. I certainly would not have picked the colour, but I can assure you they are certainly clean and dust free.

Finally in the carpark. The building was built in 1919, and back then the builders/architects were probably not thinking much about cars as only the very wealthy probably had them. Looking at the original plans, it was more of a stable than a carpark underneath the building. In saying that we normally have room for every car that comes each day, and if not we have an arrangement with the carpark next door to take our overflow. But I can assure you, no guests have to look for street parking when staying at The Mercure Grosvenor.

Look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Cameron

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
  • Korean first
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I stayed here on a business trip between 5/5-12/5.

I was seriously worried having read reviews and did send a pre request about my room which was noted. However upon arrival in my room which was a lovely size and very nice it became apparent I might need to stock up on vitamin D.

The room itself was lovely and the design separated my sleeping area from the office but the sad part was that the windows looked like they had not been cleaned since the day they were installed and a weird canopy thing jutting from the roof both served to block virtually all natural light.

I asked about a room change and to the credit of the staff as soon as room freed up in the rest of the hotel they moved me. I might point out here they moved me.....unlike my sad visit to the IBIS Sydney World Square where I was left to struggle (IBIS Is a sister company to this chain).

I was provided with free WI-FI after giving my Accorr points account number. However when I asked about this for my colleague he was told by a different person he could not have it.

During my stay I was not well with a cold and was very frustrated that there was apparently no iair con and I could not open a window......a badly blocked nose requires air.

I used room service quick efficient and tasty. Bar staff are also very helpful....a free lemon squash was wonderful customer relations!!!!! Not the biggest thing on earth but when you are away from home for 3 weeks little things like that are a thoughtful thing to do.

All in all the staff were great and very helpful and I could not fault anyone except the person who refused my colleague WI-FI.

My only issue here is with the rooms which is down to the main men at Mercure clearly not listening to feedback from guests and I do appreciate the building design makes things difficult.

Should I return to Adelaide I would stay here again but make sure I got a room with a window in advance and tried to gave one with an opening window.....staff thanks for your first class service!!!!

Mercure Head Office please look at ways to help your staff not field room/no windows issues as I am sure it must be something they have to deal with all the time yet they represent you so well in the face of this!!!!

Room Tip: Don't sat on the 5th floor if you hope to feel anything other than like you are in a cellar...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
MercureHotelGM, General Manager at Mercure Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this review, 23 May 2014

One thing I can assure you, all feedback is read and analysed all the way through head office and to the hotel owners. A lot of changes and enhancements have been made over the past year based on direct guest feedback...and your comments will only aid us in our endeavour of continuous improvement.

The window interiors are cleaned as part of the daily cleaning process, but due to the difficulties of the building structure it is quite difficult to get access to the exterior of some of the windows...it doesn't mean we give up, it simply means we look for an alternate way of getting access that will be safe for our window cleaning contractor to reach those particular windows. We are onto it!

In regards to the internet, due to guest feedback around the country, we have made internet complimentary to our loyalty members (LeClub) who have reached silver status and beyond. While this is a lot of our guests, some have not yet reached silver which may be the case of your colleague. I may be wrong, and if so, please pass my apologies onto your colleague.

I am very pleased to note that you have mentioned the team here. Over recent times I have made it my personal mission to ensure our team are giving the best service they can, and they are certainly making me very proud, so I do thank you for recognising them.

We hope you do return, and please call either myself or any of my team and we will make sure you get one of the rooms that would suit your needs.

Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed in a superior queen room for 4 nights to attend a conference at the convention centre which is practically across the road. Location is excellent. The room was neat and clean. My room overlooked an alleyway which was occasionally noisy at night but didn't interrupt sleep. What did affect my sleep was the antiquated air conditioning system which for the whole hotel was switched onto heating with no individual air conditioning or controls in the rooms (well you could adjust the speed of the heat fan and turn it off but that was it - it was getting up to 25 degrees in Adelaide). The windows didn't open so the only option offered was a small portable fan which housekeeping supplied. The room was incredibly stuffy. I don't have any other complaints but this impacted significantly on my stay and comfort and I would not stay here again for this reason. It seemed to be an issue with my colleagues who were also staying in the hotel.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for feedback. I am taking responsibility for the change in air conditioning. With our AC system, it is a centralised unit and we either have it hot or cold, and then as mentioned it is controlled in the room to be either off, low, med or high.

A day or two prior to your arrival the temperature overnight went as low as 8 degrees so after numerous complaints about no heating, we made the decision the following morning to change from 'Summer' to 'Winter' and turn off the air con, and turn on the heating. Then a warm front came through Adelaide and we had a few warm nights which made the heating an issue again. While we have since changed back to cooling, it isn't a quick change, and takes time to change the temperature in the system and ultimately in the room.

It is a science, and not an easy process to have 245 rooms with the temperature just right. Our team of engineers and the Reception team have for the most part have it all sorted, but unfortunately it is not easy to get it just right.

Please don't give up on us, we would love to have you back...and hopefully the weather will be kinder to us.

Hobart, Australia
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Motel was great Close to everything and very clean. Staff were friendly and helpful. Only complaint the rooms were a bit warm but otherwise would recommend this hotel. Has great restaurants on site. Tram stop right on the door step

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay Glenys C,

Great that you got to enjoy the city and the new tram which now stops almost outside the front door. More impressed though that the team looked after you.

Hope to see you back again soon.

Alice Springs, Australia
Reviewed 21 May 2014

The location, staff, and restaurant are what makes this place great. The downside it it is shabby for the price. It is plain shabby, not shabby chic, which is a real shame.

I enjoyed my stay, but the rooms are tired and very poorly air conditioned. Without exaggeration, our room must have exceeded 30 degrees celsius at times. Combine that with synthetic sheets and it is difficult to sleep.

I like the Mercure, but I won't stay there again until it is renovated.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

1 Thank OzLawyer

Great to see that you enjoyed our location and the team here looked after you.

Only last year we replaced the furniture and bathrooms in all our rooms. We are starting a plan for our corridors which may be the items you are referring as shabby.

The air conditioner last week was switched over to heating after a number of days when the temperature dropped below 10 degrees overnight and the overwhelming feedback was to heat the rooms...then the weather changed and we hare having the warmest May since 1918. Needless to say, we have shut down the heating and reactivated the cooling unit.

Thank you again, and I do hope you come back again...we certainly have a lot to be proud of here at Mercure Grosvenor Hotel Adelaide, and we love sharing our own experiences with our guests.

Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We stayed 4 nights at the Mercure Grosvenor Adelaide. Check in was quick and the room was ready when we arrived which was around 11am with a free welcome drink at the bar. The room was comfortable and clean situated on level 3 and was nice and quiet away from the elevator. The gym was disappointing but the hotel did have an arrangement with a local gym which was approximately 10-15 minute walk. The hotel was close to Rumble mall for shopping and close to eateries, bars, cafes and restaurants. Room service was quick and the food was very good. The tram and railway station were right outside the hotel and easy to get around. The staff were helpful and professional. Overall the hotel was in a great location and good value for money.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
MercureHotelGM, General Manager at Mercure Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this review, 21 May 2014

Thank you for coming over the ditch and visiting us, and also thank you for your feedback.

Glad to read that your stay was comfortable, and that the front desk team had you checked in at 11am...they certainly do a great job.

Our gym certainly isn't huge, but it offers a quality treadmill and bike for those guests wanting a quick run of cycle, and for those wanting a more extensive workout or swim we have an exclusive arrangement with a local fitness centre a short walk away.

Glad you pointed out one of our key features, and that is our close proximity to all the great Adelaide sites, the mall and the great restaurant scene.

Glad you enjoyed your stay, and we gave you good value for your money. Hope to see you back again soon.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 18 May 2014

This was a disaster from start to finish. When we first booked, we thought we were only going to stay one night. We then decided to stay two nights. I tried to modify the reservation on the website. That was not possible - the only way I could change the reservation was to cancel the original and make a new one. I did so over the phone and asked for email confirmation of the new reservation. After a week's time, I had not received the confirmation so rang the hotel (it was evening) to request confirmation again and was told there was no one in reservations at that time to send an email. I did get confirmation later that evening (no doubt due to my incredulity that no one was in reservations at the hotel in the evening). The day before our departure, I received email confirmation of my ORIGINAL one night booking (which I was told had been cancelled) - never received additional confirmation of the two night booking. Upon checking into our room, we found it terribly hot. There is no individual control of the heating/AC system - only a fan. Some of the rooms have no way to open the windows. Our bathroom fan made a terrible noise, and some of the bathroom lights kept flickering on and off. On the first night of our stay, there was a function in the hotel. We got "free entertainment" of a very loud band until 12:30 am. We spoke with the Assistant Manager the next morning and told her the entire 'saga' of our reservation and the stay thus far. She assured us there was no function in the hotel that evening, so we wouldn't be kept awake by loud music; she said she would look into our difficulties with the reservation process; and she offered us a complimentary breakfast for the next morning and said she would make a note of it on our folio. When we checked out, we were going to be charged for the breakfast until we objected and the charge was removed from the bill. In our opinion, this is no way to run a hotel. There are a lot of choices out there, and I think Accor needs improvement.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Thank you for your feedback, and for having the opportunity to speak to you personally yesterday in regards to your feedback.

As discussed, you certainly have given us some items to work on. We can certainly work on the communication issues faced with the reservations process and the restaurant confusion with the complimentary breakfast.

I have also tabled the capital items mentioned for our next meeting when we discuss future hotel enhancements. We are always wanting feedback from guests on what works and what doesn't work for them so we can place our focus on the correct items.

Once again, our sincere apologies that your stay was not as pleasant as it could have been. I can assure you that the focus of myself and my team is to give the best service possible that our guests have enjoyed over our 94 years of trading.

We hope you reconsider and do choose to stay with us again.

Cameron

Travellers are raving about these Adelaide hotels