“Good central hotel, close to attractions and shops”

Mercure Grosvenor Hotel
Ranked #39 of 57 Hotels in Adelaide
Melbourne, Australia
“Good central hotel, close to attractions and shops”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2008

I stayed at the Mercure Grosvenor for 2 nights while visiting friends. Located on North Terrace made is very convenient - the Casino is across the road, as is Adelaide Train Station, and the tram stop is right out the front of the hotel. Rundle Mall is around the corner so is close to shopping. My travel agent made the booking on my behalf and had requested a standard room. When I checked in, I asked for a quiet room and was given a room with 2 queen beds. The beds are very confortable, as were the pillows. Check in and reception staff were very helpful, polite and responsive. I couldn't get my TV to work when I arrived and within minutes a manager arrived and fixed the problem. Breakfast was not included in my rate but you can get the full breakfast for $25 - this includes both hot and cold items (eggs, baked beans, bacon, sausages, mushrooms, pastries, a variety and good selection of fruit, cereal). Rooms were pretty soundproof. The bathroom in my room (Room 432) didn't have a bath so if you want one ask reception staff when you check in but that was fine for me. The actual decor (cupboards / desk) does appear a little dated. You do get a couple of pay TV channels in your hotel as well movies. Tea / coffee / kettle / iron / ironing board are all provided in the room. One thing to be aware of is that on Saturday night (which was one of the nights I stayed) it was rather loud as there are some nightclubs close by and I could hear "doof doof" music until about 1am. Overall, a very pleasant experience.

• Liked — Comfy beds and pillow, cleanliness, responsive reception staff
  • Disliked — Noise from nearby nightclub
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2008

So it's been a while since we stayed here but I only just discovered this website. If only I had discovered it 18 months ago...

We booked this hotel because it looked good, offered a great price and the advertised room had what we were after - a double room with its own ensuite.

We got the room, with its own ensuite - problem being the ensuite was about 1 metre by 1 metre. We pretty much couldn't move and had to go to the toilet with the door open. The lack of space meant that when we had a shower everything got soaked.

The room was nice enough, even if it did look straight into a dull brick wall. The beds were very comfortable and it was clean.

The staff were alright, the food in the restaurant was pretty good and the room service was prompt. Food wasn't overpriced either.

The biggest problem was the NOISE!!!! Not once were we informed that the place was undergoing MAJOR renovations. We stayed for 3 nights and got woken up between 6am and 7am every single day. We went to Adelaide for an AFL game and were so tired from being woken up that we were nodding off during the match. When we arrived back after the game we decided to go and chill out in the sauna (which was impossible to find) only to be told that the sauna was also being renovated.

We were not impressed at all by the lack of communication. Best things about the place: the food and the location. It is opposite Adelaide train station and only a 5 minute walk from Rundle Mall.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The noise
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Travellers are raving about these Adelaide hotels

Central Hawkes Bay New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2008

Mercure Grosenor Hotel Adelaide .
After seeing our room I tried to up grade however the hotel was fully booked we even tried another hotel but to no avail.
Our room was like a prison cell it had windows but all were screwed shut. The windows were absolutely discussing you couldn't see out of them anyway. There was a fridge in a cupboard no where you could wash your cups and saucers except in the hand basin. the room was unclean and the shower was the pits its was dirty you could scrape dirt of between the tiles. and as for getting into the shower you had to squeeze in side ways as the shower door did not open properly. I recommend people and travel agents to stay away from this accommodation. there are other hotels in close to amenities. At check out I filled in a survey that asked if you wante an email send for feedback this has never been sent to us. Spudley New Zealand

• Liked — checking out
  • Disliked — room uncleaniness it was over grotty
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
Paris
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2008

I stayed in the Mercure Grosvenor hotel in Adelaide in November. When I arrived and saw the room I immediately tried to pay for a better room but unfortunately this was impossible as the hotel was fully booked.

I read in the publicity that the hotel recently had a makeover. Unfortunately they seem to have forgotten my room.

The room was small with little space for clothes. There was one cupboard (approximately 50cms square). This was equipped for four hangers although there were only three in place one of which was broken. I would normally have used the floor of the cupboard for shoes but this was not possible as the space was already occupied by an ironing board, an iron, the telephone books and even the Bible. There was absolutely no other cupboard or even flat surface in the room where it was possible to store clothes.

The room was dirty. There was dust on the telephone when I arrived and when I left it was still there. In the bathroom there were hairs sticking to the tiles and caked old soap in the dish in the shower. Again these were still there when I left. I don’t think the room was cleaned once during my stay. I actually used a glass when I first arrived and it was not moved until the fourth day.

In the bathroom the tiles especially on the floor were cracked, the paint was peeling off and much of the filling between the bathroom tiles was missing. I find this most unhygienic. Finally, in the bathroom the window was blocked in an open position. During my stay it was quite cold and it was most unpleasant in the morning.

In the publicity, and also on a publicity sheet in the bedroom, they say that rooms have Fox Sports 1, 2 and 3 and Sky News. In my room there was a very old TV with I think five channels although the picture was so poor that it was difficult to be sure but these certainly did not include either Fox or Sky.

Last but not least, during my stay an e-mail for me was addressed to the hotel. This was never delivered to me.

PS. At checkout I requested to take part in the customer satisfaction survey by internet. It has not been sent to me.

• Liked — Location in town centre
  • Disliked — The dirt and the lack of cupboards
  • Stayed November 2008
1 Thank lpooll
Perth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2008

Clean and comfortable bed, fairly new room with flat screen TV.
The bathroom is small and the lighting is too dull to apply makeup. The airconditioning is very noisy and the room is stuffy without the aircon being on. No full length mirror.
Overall was average - location is the best feature of the hotel.

• Liked — clean comfortable bed
  • Disliked — poor lighting, no full length mirror, noisy airconditioning
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2008

This is my second stay at this hotel (last in January this year). Definitely a much better experience this time. Check in staff polite and efficient. Sure the rooms do not have a view to speak of, but they are recently renovated, clean and have all one would expect (and more) for the price. My only negative regarding the room was the poor lighting in the bathroom-only one small spotlight. Also took the opportunity to dine in the restaurant two nights and the food was excellent and the staff made a real effort to please.
Used the carparking in the basement which was extremely convenient, but the spaces are small so a tight squeeze for mid-large size cars. Breakfast buffet average standard and very acceptable, although a little pricey.
Given this positive experience and excellent location, would definitely stay again.

• Liked — Location and cleanliness of rooms
  • Disliked — Only a minor point-poor bathroom lighting
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2008

Beware of the "non-Mercure" 3-star budget rooms. They are well below the Mercure standards and far below any 2- or 3-star hotel I experienced in Australia: Cave-like dark cells, no space for whatever, almost no amenities. The bathroom is horrible and tiny, with windows fixed in a half-open position. For that those rooms are way over-prized.

Stayed August 2008