“Pretty good for middle of Rundle Mall”
Review of Hotel Richmond

Hotel Richmond
Ranked #30 of 56 Hotels in Adelaide
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Large room with a comfortable King Bed, even though its 2 x singles joined. Ducted A/C is great, 32" LCD TV is good size to watch from "sun lounge". Large bathroom with above standard size shower. Bar menu is inviting and eating on the first floor balcony is great if your on your own. The bad bits are that whilst the mini bar is well stocked, the thermostat on the fridge can't be changed and I didn't think drinks were cold enough. Parking is in a parking lot where it costs $18 each time you want to leave or $23 for valet, thus a bit pricey. Other than that its a well priced hotel right in the mall.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Brad290
ResManagerHR, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2013

Dear Brad290, Thank you for staying at the Hotel Richmond recently and providing us with positive feedback. We are extremely pleased that you were happy with your overall stay, the location of the hotel and that you found the room very comfortable. We sincerely look forward to welcoming you back again in the very near future!
Hotel Richmond

There are newer reviews for Hotel Richmond

Reviewed 5 September 2013

Richmond Hotel is located slap bang along Rundle Mall, which is the main shopping centre in Adelaide! A couple of days prior to our departure I received a call from the Manager of the hotel to inform me that the hotel had a band playing on Saturday night and although we are to be located on the 5th floor, we might hear some music. It is a courtesy call and he said that they inform all the guests. I thanked him for the information and on the night, found that it was quiet as the sound did not carry to our room.
There are plenty of places to choose from for breakfast, lunch and dinner!
Although the hotel is older, our room was very neat and clean! A new place does not mean that it is better as it is only cosmetic! The location is absolutely fantastic! A downside is that there is no private car park for the hotel and a special deal is organised with the adjacent multi storey car park. It can cost $18 per day (if you use your car daily) or if you park your car there for the duration of your stay and not take it out of the car park (like we did), it only cost us $18 for our entire 3 day stay. The $18 is paid at reception when checking out. Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed out stay at the Richmond Hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Michael N
ResManagerHR, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2013

Dear Michael N, Thank you for staying at the Hotel Richmond recently and providing us with excellent feedback. We are extremely pleased that you were happy with your overall stay with us and that you were delighted with the location of our property. We sincerely look forward to welcoming you back again in the very near future!
Hotel Richmond.

Reviewed 14 August 2013

We had occasion to fly into Adelaide for a business and social combined mini break. It meant we would be without a vehicle and needed to be fairly central. Hotel Richmond is situated right in Rundle Mall which is the main shopping precinct of Adelaide CBD - in fact the entrance is so narrow I never noticed the hotel in all the years I had paced the shopping area! There is a convenient taxi rank at the Pulteney St end of the Mall which makes access very easy. Once inside, we found quite a nicely renovated older building and spacious rooms. Reception staff were very obliging.
The rooms have clearly been done-up and look quite nice but there are a few tell-tale signs such as ageing tiles in the bathroom which don't exactly let the place down, but just take the shine off it a little. The shower cubicle was bizarrely shaped so that one could only stand parallel with the wall or be constantly knocking one's elbow on the wall. Oh and the shower door didn't close off properly so the floor floods with water which is always annoying.
The continental breakfast was the most disappointing offering I have seen in a long time and, seriously, management should be embarrassed to offer it and charge money for it. Do not on any account waste your time eating breakfast at this hotel -there are plenty of other cafes along the Mall and surrounding streets which will give you a far better start to the day.
This place ranks very well for location and helpful staff, nicely for the quality of the rooms and sleep comfort, and terribly for breakfast arrangements.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
ResManagerHR, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2013

Dear CoolMum64, Thank you very much for your detailed comment on trip...... we are happy that you find our location very handy in Rundle Mall, our renovated rooms pleasing and especially our staff obliging and friendly.

We were disappointed though to note that you had some problems with the shower door and that our breakfast was not satisfactory. We are sorry that it was not to your liking as we always aim to please our guests. We encourage our clients to discuss any issues they may experience during their stay, so that where possible, we can overcome these.

We hope that you will return to The Hotel Richmond in the future and that your stay will be without incident. We certainly appreciate your custom and feedback as this helps us to help you.

Kind Regards, Shane

Reviewed 11 August 2013

Great location.
Very tired and dirty.
Needs renovating or at least cleaning and fresh paint.
Refused access to First bar because there was a function on. Told by Eddy the bar manager to [--]off somewhere else! The party had paid much more than we had to stay there for 2 nights!!!
Spoilt a weekend that was to celebrate.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Lizzywr1
ResManagerHR, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2013

Dear Lizzywr1, Thank you for staying at the Hotel Richmond recently. We have read your recent comments on trip advisor and would like to respond accordingly. We are a small boutique and heritage hotel that is very conveniently located in the mall with a 4-star rating. Our new and repeated guests believe that we offer good value for money, our decor and overall cleanliness is to their satisfaction.

We occassionally hold private functions in our bar area and obviously when these are held we need to respect the privacy our these paying guests. We also have very strict laws in South Australia with regards to the serving of alcohol.

Because of our great location in the Rundle Mall we are surrounded by many bars, restaurants and the like in the mall and the ever popular Rundle Street pubs and cafes should we be holding a private function.

Best wishes, The Hotel Richmond

Reviewed 10 August 2013

Terrible terrible service, I have stayed here a couple of times and will never stay here again and never recommend this hotel to anyone. I celebrated my 49th birthday and 27th wedding anniversary with 2 nights at this hotel. We were refused entry to the advertised trendy bar Saturday night because...........it was a private party.......no wait we were too drunk.........no wait according to reception we are not drunk at all and we are allowed to go in..........wwit.......no we are too drunk (for god sake I am 50 next year).......no wait changed again its now private party AGAIN and no one else knew about it! FFS just give this place a miss, spend the extra $30 a night and go to somewhere worth staying where the staff WANT to look after you.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank PWR1964

Dear Paul W, Thank you for staying at the Hotel Richmond recently. We are sorry to read your review on trip advisor and your unhappiness with your recent stay with us. There was obviously some confusion with your request for entry to our bar area by perhaps both our team and yourselves also. We do at times hold private functions in this area and of course need to respect the privacy of the people hiring and paying for this area exclusively. We also have to be mindful of our licencing laws and the sale of alcohol to our guests. With these conditions in mind we have to act accordingly and unfortunately we were unable to let you gain access. We do however regret that you were inconvenienced as our main aim is always to please and hope that we satisfy our clients.

The Hotel Richmond

Reviewed 22 July 2013

I stayed here on a weekend away with some mates in late May and it was great. The hotel is in a great central location. The rooms are huge and offer really good amenities and importantly are nice and clean. We were not bothered by the noise of the bar and I have to say it was ideal.

I came away with some mates, we each had our own room because the price was so good, but if I was travelling with my wife and young child I would stay here again. Cafe's nearby, shops right there and restaurants around. Honestly - great place to stay!

Room Tip: The breakfast didn't look great, but its not hard to find a cafe
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
ResManagerHR, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

Dear EddyCS, Thank you for staying at the Hotel Richmond recently and for providing us with outstanding feedback. We are extremely pleased that you were happy with all aspects of your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the very near future!

Very Kind Regards,
Shane

Reviewed 16 July 2013

I'm a frequent traveller to Adelaide, and admittedly enjoy trying new places either on the recommendation of tripadvisor, or from friends. With the hotel Richmond, I also got feedback from a mate of mine that lives around the corner that it was a cool place to hang out. I've had drinks on the terrace bar in the past, and agree that it is indeed a cool place with a great central location and good atmosphere. Something you don't always get with the big flashy hotels.

I am sorry to say that I was disappointed with the room stay, probably because I had every reason to expect a great visit. I decided to stay in a deluxe suite which I believe is the best type of room on the menu. It's a little smaller than I expected, but the decor seemed to suit the overall style of the place. I turned the heating on to be met with a disturbingly loud racket (which settled to a dull roar) and then walked into the tired looking marble bathroom to find one of the bath cabinet doors on the floor. Probably the most disturbing thing is when I walked into the toilet, it was clear that someone with pretty bad aim had been here before me, and it appeared that housekeeping hadn't cleaned the floor when turning the room over. I really wanted to like this place, so I ordered room service, only to be sent a medium/well done steak when medium rare was ordered... Also the noise from the mall/street is pretty loud so if you're a light sleeper, steer clear of room 51.

I've got to say though that every staff interaction has been extremely friendly and positive. I get the feeling that there's a great team running this place, but the maintenance may be a bit less focussed.

While I read back on my words, I tend to sound a bit "particular". I am definitely not, and have stayed in plenty of places much worse and much better than this. I guess my disappointment is in the anticipation of a good experience. Maybe it's like New Year's Eve syndrome with the built up expectation that can never be met? And Maybe not.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
ResManagerHR, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2013

Dear Austroboi, Thank you very much for your recent comments on tripadvisor. We are very disappointed to hear of the problems you encountered while staying with us. We understand that you feel 'let down' after having such great recommendations about The Hotel Richmond. We are saddened that we failed to live up to your expectations and will certainly address your comments with the appropriate staff.

It is always appreciated that people give both negative and positive feedback for us to address any issues or pass on positive comments to our staff. We are very pleased that you felt our staff interaction was extremely friendly and positive. We do have a great team who pride themselves in assisting our guests.

We again apologise that you were inconvenienced. Perhaps you might try us again one day soon and find that our very centrally located hotel is 'still cool' and does still have 'atmosphere'. Very best wishes, Shane