“Not to be recommended”

Blue Galah Backpackers Hostel
Blue Galah Backpackers Hostel
Reviewed 17 May 2012

We did not enjoy our stay in this backpacker. The friendliness of the staff left to be desired, the cleanliness of our room was really terrible (bugs on my mattress, dirty mattresses, not vacuumed etc.), the room was really small for 4 people, the water of the showers was cold... The only positif thing was the location.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 11 February 2012

This has a great location, positive. The full price for dorm room is $34 but with various discounts you get it cheaper- certainly not a $34 hostel. The rooms are tiny and they just fit 8 beds in them, no room for luggage and barely enough for standing. As comparison, the YHA put 4 beds in the same size room. The communal area has 4 little tables for eating and a small kitchen. The bathrooms are small and tiny laundry which isn't cheap. Hardly see any staff as staff probably cost money!
You just get the feeling they try to make as much money as possible as priority instead of guest satisfaction that may produce good word of mouth and more people.
I would defenitely pay a couple of extra dollars to stay in a place where you can move in your room with out bumping into everything, 8 beds in that is a disgrace.
Given all this, it is in a a great place, the vibe is all right but you get to know others as you are literraly on top of them the whole time- in every area

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank shorts666
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Stayed here a while ago.

The location was great. Right in the centre.

My dorm was clean but was pretty small. So a bit tricky to store away luggage. Would be a problem if you had a large amount. Luckily there was only two of us in a 4 bed dorm.

Bathroom and kitchen was clean. Fair size communal area. Great balcony to smoke on and hang out.

Was a decent hostel and I was happy during my stay there.

Would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 July 2011

Stayed two of us in a 4 beds room. It was not been cleaned before our arrival and it was really small. no space for the backpacks at all. I couldn't imagine how 4 people could fit in that room. Toilets were clean but facilities were quite dirty, couches in particular. Fake walls made the hostel quite loud. However the staff was friendly and the beds quite comfortable.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 December 2010

This is a smaller hostel with 28 or so rooms. The rooms themselves are quite small and as the place was busy because the Ashes were in town, the owner had jammed in as many beds as possible, which made it very tight.
The kitchen also got quite crowded, this was'nt helped by several of the burners not working!
That said Foxtel on a giant plasma was great and there is huge veranda if you want to chill outside. All our requests for help were met and the people working there were very helpful.

• Stayed: December 2010
Reviewed 30 March 2010

Only spent a night, but it was quite pleasant. I tend to be a little picky when I'm staying in hotels and hostels, usually because I would be travelling with a rather uptight girl...ok, not uptight, to be honest, OCD was the problem, if you have any experience there, you'll know how it can be. As it was, this time I was alone, and just needed a place for a night, wanted to mix with a few different people, and check out some hostels in Adelaide. So I chose the Blue Galah, primarily for the location - I know Adelaide well, and wasn't requiring the bus station (a lot of the hostels in Adelaide are quite close to the bus station, while the Blue Galah is pretty well smack bang in the centre of town) so I thought this perfect. Basically on the corner of King William St and Rundle Mall/Hindley St, overlooking King William St from the great big balconies (which happily double as a socialising area) you can't ask for a better spot to watch the city. Not that you'll have any night-time skyline views or anything so to speak, but you can definitely watch the drunks stumble home, or even stumble with them...
Anyway, yeah, decent facilities, the staff are quite good, but the manager is great and actually set up a bar on the balcony to sell us really cheap drinks (and good! He had some of the Lobethal beers there, a local micro-brewery, one of the many around Adelaide doing some really good beers). There's pool tables etc, TV room, games and books and most of the things you'd expect from any half-way decent hostel. Breakfast in the morning, very basic, but even toast is better than nothing. There's probably more, but I wasn't really in the mood for a huge meal so didn't investigate much further than to establish that there was indeed a well equipped and maintained kitchen, with food storage areas for guests etc. To be honest I cannot remember sleeping in the bed I had (scratching my head trying to work out where I ended up...hmmm...I think I crashed on a couch in the common area for a while, not in a trampy bum kind of way, I wouldn't have scared off any travellers, or made the place look like a doss-house...surely...) Anyway, yeah, very clean (including showers, toilets etc), well run, I've been in some real dives so take it from me, this place was acceptable at least, and probably even to be recommended. Just wait till I hit some other Adelaide hostels so I have a comparison. The rates seemed quite acceptable, but being Australian it cost me a little bit extra, I think usually it would be AU$17-24 per night, different weekly rates perhaps. As always, let me know if I missed anything, I’ll happily answer any questions I am able to, just email me...

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank xjesusx
Reviewed 9 February 2009

I've been traveling all around Australia last year. I have been to different hostels in major cities but Blue Galah goes beyond imagination...

The only pro is the location, right in the centre.

It's the dirtiest place I've ever been.

In the extremely dirty toilets USED toilet paper was swirling around, the kitchen had probably been cleaned centuries ago, the rooms were small and smelly and it was loud. The terrace looks like the setting of the movie 'The Day After' AFTER the nuclear explosions.

Absolutely a NO!