“Great stay indeed”

Ranked #24 of 57 Hotels in Adelaide
Sydney, Australia
“Great stay indeed”
Reviewed 11 June 2012

We stayed at the Oaks Horizon for 3 nights in June, just for a short getaway. We found the hotel on Wotif and booked it through there, working at AUD$135 per night.

The hotel is located on North Terrace, a short 5 minute walk from the Adelaide CBD. We took a taxi form the airport, a ride of about 15 minutes and $20. Check in was quick and easy and the staff very friendly.

We had two occasions to deal with the front desk staff after check in and, on both times, our enquiry was handled well and resolved quickly.

Like most hotels today, the standard room key has been replaced with a plastic swipe card. This card operates the front door afterhours, the elevator and to access your room. Be patient in the elevator though – getting the key to register to get to your floor takes some practice.

We had a river view room on level 11 (room 1104). First impressions of the room were very good, from opening the door there was a distinct ‘new’ smell, as it had been recently renovated. The room was well laid out, spacious, with new appliances (although, strangely, it had no toaster) and the all important comfortable bed. The bathroom is large with excellent water pressure in the shower. The is also a combined washer/dryer in a cupboard in the bathroom. One point in regards to the shower – as it is a combined bath/shower, there is only one water control for both. To run the water for the shower, you must pull out and hold a small knob under the main tap. Once the pressure is sufficient, the shower will run. If you hadn’t had experience with setup before (we hadn’t) running the shower could be a real mystery.

One other noticeably absent item was the standard hotel in room guide. The front desk did supply two photocopied pages that set out check in/check out times, rubbish disposal etc. Most, if not all hotels, we have stayed in have a guide that outlines not only the usual hotel information, but also contains information on local restaurants, car hire, churches, shops and city maps. Yes, these brouches were available in the foyer but it would be better if this available in each room.

As stated previously, the hotel is well located to the CBD. Walking to Rundle Mall, the city’s main shopping precinct, takes about 5-7 minutes. There is a tram and railway station just a minute or two walk from the hotel as well. Tram, which runs from the city to Glenelg, is free for a number of sections, mainly the beginning and end of the journey. If you visit the tourist information office in Rundle Mall you can get further information on tram/train travel. Adelaide Casino is also located a couple of hundred metres from the hotel.

We will definitely be staying here on our next visit to Adelaide.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view room on a high floor for the best views,
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sydney2for2
OaksHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks Horizons, responded to this review, 14 June 2012
Many thanks for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Oaks Horizons. We are pleased you found the location of our hotel to be convenient and that you were able to enjoy the river views from your apartment. Your suggestions have been passed onto the Hotel Manager for consideration. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back next time you are visiting Adelaide!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Clare, South Australia
Reviewed 7 May 2012

I chose this accomodation as we needed an apartment for 5 adults, which seems to be rare in the city. The apartment looked nice, the beds were comfy, staff rude, unfriendly, unhelpful. Because of their attitude I would use this accommodation as a last resort and wouldn't recommend it to family and friends.

Room Tip: You need to book a car park when booking a room.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Kylie C
OaksHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks Horizons, responded to this review, 8 May 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at Oaks Horizons in Adelaide. It is disappointing to hear that our staff were unhelpful and rude during your stay and I shall pass your feedback onto our General Manager of Learning and Development and the Hotel Manager for their immediate attention. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 24 April 2012

I very much enjoyed my brief stay at Oaks Horizon.

The hotel is well located on North Terrace, opposite the Exhibition Centre, with a tram stop right out the front. Within easy walking distance of the madness of Hindley Street, it's far enough away to be relatively quiet!

The apartment was what I've come to expect from Oaks. Well appointed, with good appliances, a comfy bed, and a great layout.

The staff were right up to standard. Friendly and efficient, and very keen to help.

I will have no hesitation in booking at the Oaks Horizon again.

Room Tip: My room on the 5th floor was reasonably quiet - but I can imagine that ones on lower floors might ge...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
OaksHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks Horizons, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback regarding your recent stay at Oaks Horizons.

We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our hotel to be centrally located. It is great to hear that you found your apartment to be well appointed and lives up to the standard you have received in the past.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Reviewed 22 April 2012

It was too early to check in (8am) when I arrived at Adelaide. So I asked to put my luggage for a while, then I visited museum which was very near the hotel. When I got back to the hotel, it was still 10am. Therefore, I asked earlier check-in again, then they made my room in a hurry. My room was very clean and made up in time. Staffs greeted me with smile.
Although I stayed for only 2 nights, I'll use here if I visit Adelaide again.

• Stayed April 2012
OaksHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks Horizons, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent experience at Oaks Horizons.

It is wonderful to know that we were able to play a part in making your holiday a memorable and enjoyable one and I shall pass your feedback on to the staff.

Please do stay again next time you are in the area – we look forward to welcoming you back again.
Melbourne
Reviewed 20 April 2012

I've stayed in a good many hotels in my day and Oaks Horizons in Adelaide has some of the worst service and attitude from front counter staff I've ever experienced.
I stayed for 3 nights in a one bedroom deluxe. Staff were already fairly curt and unsmiling when I first walked in to enquire about their rooms. They did not even know the rates to their own rooms and treated me as though i had shuffled in dressed like a vegabond even though I was dressed formal casual. Despite their unfriendly demeanour, I decided perhaps it was a one off thing during a busy period (they were empty at the time by the way). Booked the Oaks Embassy by mistake online and was sent on a wild merry go round by staff telling me they couldn't make changes despite earlier telling me Oaks Horizon and Embassy were the same.
Had to walk back and forth to deal with each set of staff from both hotels because apparently making a phone call was too hard by inept and indifferent staff. Settled the whole thing BY MYSELF and they are only two buildings from one another!!
Finally dealt with the issue and got my room and carpark booked in the same building.
At first I thought that it was one or two staff who had attitude problems. But it turned out each time I went down to make an enquiry or similar i would be treated with the same scorn and contempt by a different staff member.
The only friendly face was a very nice young lady who had came into my apartment while I was in to clean it. She was smiling and friendly - maybe there ought to be a change of staff duties here.
The ball dropped finally when I was making a payment on my apartment to extend for another night. The staff member was rude and condescending. I paid by card and when he swiped it the console took 5 minutes to process before coming up with an error.
He said with a sneer, "it's been declined due to insufficient funds."
I said that I had just transferred funds into my account so it wasn't possible. He stood there arguing with me and I suggested another console as the receiot said error rather than declined. He said it wasn't the console problem (because it was my 'insufficient fund' reason) and by this point I was so over this hotel and the staff's atrocious attitudes that I told him to just swipe it and stop assuming it was my card's problem.
He started on and on but did what I told him to do. It went through - no surprise there.
This is my first time staying at Oaks and apparently staff is king not customer. I'm not sure if I will ever use Oaks again and I will certainly let all my friends, family and business acquaintances know which hotel to avoid.

Room Tip: Be assertive. Know what you are enquiring (meaning enquire to confirm not to find out) and don't...
1 Thank MissMelbournian
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay at Oaks Horizons.

We apologise for the disappointment you felt at the standard of service you received. We continually strive to provide the very highest levels of service in all our hotels and it is disappointing to know that on this occasion we failed to achieve this. Please be assured your concerns will be raised with the staff, Hotel Manager and the General Manager of Learning & Development.

We do hope you will consider staying with Oaks Hotels & Resorts again soon in order to experience the high level of service to which we aspire.
Noosa Qld
Reviewed 19 April 2012

The Oaks was wonderful. Great position, fabulous lap pool and gym, everything we could have wished for. We had a one bedroom deluxe apartment with balcony to enjoy a glass of red and fresh produce from the markets. Being Seniors we had free transport to Hahndorf, Glenelg and Port of Adelaide. Highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Don't get a woom adjoining the gym as the thump of the equipment begins at 6.30am.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple

We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our hotel to be well equipped and convenient.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Sydney
Reviewed 12 April 2012

I stayed in a one bedroom apartment for two nights, mainly because I wanted somewhere with a kitchen. The location was also extremely convenient for my work. The decor, furnishings and facilities were 'functional' rather than luxurious. Nevertheless the apartment was clean and quiet and the bed was comfortable. There were two flat screen TVs (one in the bedroom and one in the living room) with a range of free to air and pay TV stations (not CNN or BBC unfortunately). No room service or mini bar and the toiletries etc are basic. The room swipe card did not work terribly well and one of the lights was not working in the bathroom. Pretty good value at only $147 per night (though Adelaide is generally reasonable).

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
OaksHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks Horizons, responded to this review, 18 April 2012
We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our hotel to be in a convenient location. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.