All reviewsnorth terracebedroom apartmentadelaide ovalacross the roadrundle mallcoffee clubadelaide convention centrewasher dryerspa bathnice apartmentattending a conferencetrain stationself containedconvenient locationcooking facilitiesper daystayed here for three nights
Reviewed 3 March 2009

We stayed her for a week in January 2009 - the booking was made some 4 months in advance. Upon arrival we were told that the parking we booked was not available and when I spoke to the girl on Reception about how disappointed I was as we had booked parking - I was told that it was not her problem ... fantastic service ... not !! When my booked parking space finally became avaialble some three days later upon return one night no space ... we were then left to drive around at 1am trying to find parking at outside parking locations. Whilst he hotel is well located the rooms are dirty - filthy carpet and mouldy bathroom. We are retuning to Adelaide next year and it would be extremely unlikely that we would return to this establishment. From my point of view I can overlook accommodation not up to scratch, but not poor customer service !!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AdelaideTraveller
Reviewed 27 February 2009

While the location & price were one of the deciding factors for me, I should have know better! Having stayed at this hotel for 4 years in a row - I am yet to be impressed.

Every room I have had has been generally messy & fairly unclean. Dirty marks in all rooms can be seen clearly on the walls. Carpets were always dirty.

The last time I stayed here they had enforced a 'no party' rule - which was a God send, having suffered through what must have been a footy break up party two floors below in 2007.

We were asked to sign an agreement stating we would not smoke in the rooms, party, throw anything off the balcony, etc which seemed fair to us all at the time as we were looking forward to a nice quite weekend.
However, later in the stay we all witnessed check-ins while waiting in the reception - mostly people older than us - none of which were asked to sign the agreement. This upset us greatly.

On arrival we were asked to wait because our room wasn't quite ready - we were asked to sit in the lobby with all of our luggage after 6 hours of travelling and ringing a day earlier to confirm that we would be arriving at 2pm.

The fitness center was great - however, for the second year in a row the sauna was out of order.

Although the reception staff were generally cold (we only received one smile, from a weekday staff member when we departed) they did honour our request for a 2 bedroom, as far up the building as possible, with a great view.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank Beckaby
Reviewed 30 November 2008

Our stay did not start off too great at this hotel. Without wanting to say too much, the laneway next to the hotel (where the carparking is) was blocked of by police as it was a crime scene. Now please note, that (once we found out why) our safety was never at risk, nor did we ever feel unsafe.

Anyway, while this commotion was going on, I was trying to check in. The girl at the desk checking me in was easily the worst staff member we encountered. She was on the phone the whole time while checking me in, and barely said a word to me. She palmed me off to another staff member in the middle of checking in, who I am pleased to say was much friendlier and more helpful.

The actual building is fairly modern in design, but is very worn. The hallway where our room was had lots of patch marks, and everything just seemed very worn down.

This also continued into our 2 bedroom apt. Scratches/dents on the wall, broken furniture, the couch had tears and holes in it, and a couple of the blinds were jammed so they wouldn't go down (a problem seemingly not confined to our room, as friends in another room reported). The marble top coffee table was not stuck down, so if you tried to move it (like we did to make room for the rollaway) the top came off. Rusted blind cords, and chipped tiles in the bathroom. I am really not a fussy person but all of these little things compound into something you really cannot ignore.

I had volunteered to sleep on a rollaway in the lounge/dining/kitchen area. Firsly the rollaway was one of the most comfortable I had ever seen. It was practically the same size as a single bed and seemed to have a proper matress on it.
However as our apt was at the back of the hotel (facing Hindley St) I could hear the noise from the clubs on the Fri/Sat night we were there. My travel companions reported hearing no noise in their bedrooms, so it is probably only in the lounge area- something to be aware of.

Now to room itself. It had nice touches, like a full size fridge, a small diswasher, marble table tops (I think they were real marble), but I think the lack of maintenence far outweighed these perks.

Also, one last thing to note, it probably says this in the terms & conditions, but silly enough we didn't read it. They freeze money on your credit card for your stay, not just simply taking an imprint. It was $200, for our 2 night stay. Not illegal, but just something to be aware of when you stay.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 November 2008

We stayed at the Oaks Horizons as a base for seeing Adelaide. It is within walking distance of the Conference Centre and the main shopping area. The apartment was spacious, clean and well equipped. Reception staff are young, friendly and helpful. Ask for an upper floor. The higher you are the less street noise you get. We had breakfast in the Aroma Cafe which is part of the hotel. A bit 'clattery' but a good breakfast.

There are a number of restaurants within easy walking distance. We tried the Bistro in the Confernce Centre one evening which was very good. For something very different try Saldechin, a short walk from the hotel in King William Street. Lovely food in an old banking hall - lots of marble etc. Live music of Friday evenings.

The free inner city trams and others for longer journeys stop right outside the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2008
2  Thank younggrandad
Reviewed 20 November 2008

Would not recommend this hotel! Booked online 3 months in advance, but on arrival to the hotel the person said that the hotel had been overbooked and they could not offer us our room, so they put us in the oaks plaza pier which was 20min drive from this hotel! We were very disappointed at this because the main reason we wanted to stay here was for the casino which was just down the road...

After convincing the person at check in, we got them to give us a room at the oaks embassy which was just next door, which was a very nice hotel. They also provided us a complimetary breakfast. We stayed at embassy for 1 night and then went to the pier plaza which was ok too and was right on the beach..

Overall if you want to stay here i would suggest confirming your booking before going there. Oaks embassy is better in my opinion anyway as the front desk had much better customer service skills as compared to oaks horizons.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family