“Grossly overcharged”
Review of Oaks Horizons

Oaks Horizons
Ranked #19 of 55 Hotels in Adelaide
Reviewed 28 August 2009

A very dissapointing stay. Beware this hotel and fraudulent charges. First they tried to charge me for a bottle of wine I never purchased and withdrew it. But the worst was when I was charged an excessive $160 cleaning bill for a 1cm spot of foundation makeup, which they tried to claim was blood. I never received my money back, and they were extremely rude to me throughout the whole ordeal. The pool was dirty, as was the fold out couch in the lounge room.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank luckyhelga7

Reviewed 2 July 2009

Stayed here for 3 nights (Saturday - Monday). The hotel is in a great location in the centre of Adelaide. About 20 minutes from the airport in a taxi. It cost me about $22 from the airport and $20 to the airport. Right across the road from the Convention centre and just up the street from the Casino and Rundell Mall.

Being a Saturday night there was some noise from within the hotel from the clubbers returning home in the early hours of the morning. But that is to be expected. There must have been a party on a higher floor that was causing other guests problems and the police were called to sort things out. I see this as a very positive thing for the hotel to do in that they are wanting to look after their guests.

The rooms are spacious and clean. A washer / dryer and a kitchen with microwave, oven and dishwasher. Most utensils were available. Certainly easy to walk to the mall to buy groceries at Woolworths and be able to cook at the apartment.

The free city circle bus stopped right outside the hotel and the tram to Glenelg was just up the street.

For $8 you can buy a day ticket to travel on the train, tram or bus (I think this will be going up a bit early July 09), but still worth the cost. An hour bus ride away is Handorf. Quite cheap and a great drive.

I fully recommend this hotel and believe that it has better value than most other hotels with its great location and facilities.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank ScottRo
Reviewed 12 June 2009

This is a new apartment hotel in the centre of Adelaide close to the Convention Centre, railway station and casino.

The rooms were clean and spacious .

Our only problem was the shower tap needed fixing and we asked twice at reception for this to be done but after 3 days nothing was done to fix the problem nor any communication with us.

This is a great place to stay but if only the hotel would take more attention to these little (but important matters to the guest ) the visit would have been perfect.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank OskarandSunny
Reviewed 10 March 2009

reading other reviews i think it must depend on if you have an apartment or a room. we had an apartment which was clean, roomy , well equipped,quiet,and you could really make yourself at home... the air con coped well with the 40 degrees heat..and there was a nice view towards the adelaide oval and river...only slight complaint, the double bed was fairly small which was strange considering the size of the apartment....

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 March 2009

We stayed her for a week in January 2009 - the booking was made some 4 months in advance. Upon arrival we were told that the parking we booked was not available and when I spoke to the girl on Reception about how disappointed I was as we had booked parking - I was told that it was not her problem ... fantastic service ... not !! When my booked parking space finally became avaialble some three days later upon return one night no space ... we were then left to drive around at 1am trying to find parking at outside parking locations. Whilst he hotel is well located the rooms are dirty - filthy carpet and mouldy bathroom. We are retuning to Adelaide next year and it would be extremely unlikely that we would return to this establishment. From my point of view I can overlook accommodation not up to scratch, but not poor customer service !!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AdelaideTraveller
Reviewed 27 February 2009

While the location & price were one of the deciding factors for me, I should have know better! Having stayed at this hotel for 4 years in a row - I am yet to be impressed.

Every room I have had has been generally messy & fairly unclean. Dirty marks in all rooms can be seen clearly on the walls. Carpets were always dirty.

The last time I stayed here they had enforced a 'no party' rule - which was a God send, having suffered through what must have been a footy break up party two floors below in 2007.

We were asked to sign an agreement stating we would not smoke in the rooms, party, throw anything off the balcony, etc which seemed fair to us all at the time as we were looking forward to a nice quite weekend.
However, later in the stay we all witnessed check-ins while waiting in the reception - mostly people older than us - none of which were asked to sign the agreement. This upset us greatly.

On arrival we were asked to wait because our room wasn't quite ready - we were asked to sit in the lobby with all of our luggage after 6 hours of travelling and ringing a day earlier to confirm that we would be arriving at 2pm.

The fitness center was great - however, for the second year in a row the sauna was out of order.

Although the reception staff were generally cold (we only received one smile, from a weekday staff member when we departed) they did honour our request for a 2 bedroom, as far up the building as possible, with a great view.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank Beckaby
Reviewed 30 November 2008

Our stay did not start off too great at this hotel. Without wanting to say too much, the laneway next to the hotel (where the carparking is) was blocked of by police as it was a crime scene. Now please note, that (once we found out why) our safety was never at risk, nor did we ever feel unsafe.

Anyway, while this commotion was going on, I was trying to check in. The girl at the desk checking me in was easily the worst staff member we encountered. She was on the phone the whole time while checking me in, and barely said a word to me. She palmed me off to another staff member in the middle of checking in, who I am pleased to say was much friendlier and more helpful.

The actual building is fairly modern in design, but is very worn. The hallway where our room was had lots of patch marks, and everything just seemed very worn down.

This also continued into our 2 bedroom apt. Scratches/dents on the wall, broken furniture, the couch had tears and holes in it, and a couple of the blinds were jammed so they wouldn't go down (a problem seemingly not confined to our room, as friends in another room reported). The marble top coffee table was not stuck down, so if you tried to move it (like we did to make room for the rollaway) the top came off. Rusted blind cords, and chipped tiles in the bathroom. I am really not a fussy person but all of these little things compound into something you really cannot ignore.

I had volunteered to sleep on a rollaway in the lounge/dining/kitchen area. Firsly the rollaway was one of the most comfortable I had ever seen. It was practically the same size as a single bed and seemed to have a proper matress on it.
However as our apt was at the back of the hotel (facing Hindley St) I could hear the noise from the clubs on the Fri/Sat night we were there. My travel companions reported hearing no noise in their bedrooms, so it is probably only in the lounge area- something to be aware of.

Now to room itself. It had nice touches, like a full size fridge, a small diswasher, marble table tops (I think they were real marble), but I think the lack of maintenence far outweighed these perks.

Also, one last thing to note, it probably says this in the terms & conditions, but silly enough we didn't read it. They freeze money on your credit card for your stay, not just simply taking an imprint. It was $200, for our 2 night stay. Not illegal, but just something to be aware of when you stay.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business