“Great Bed and Great Location”

Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Currie
Ranked #15 of 56 Hotels in Adelaide
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed three nights for a girl's weekend away to celebrate my friend's birthday. The location was great- a short walk to Rundle Mall, close to public transport and lots of great places to eat very close by. Our suite was spacious and clean and the bed was very comfortable. Bathroom was large and clean (although a bin in the bathroom might have been nice!).Staff were friendly and helpful.
Overall a great place to stay and very reasonably priced.

Room Tip: We stayed in a corner suite on the 5th floor overlooking Currie St. A nice outlook rather than a fan...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hotel Grand Chancellor Adelaide on Currie

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Disappointing and definitely not worth the money. The staff were unhelpful and failed to mention there was no internet access on check in. Several people were also complaining about the lack of communication from staff. The staff did not seem to want to be there and when I pointed out faults with my room (bulb was out in the bathroom) I was ignored. It is a shame as the location is great for access to shops but I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Book another hotel!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank Dawn2013255122
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We stayed four nights in this hotel, two nights before our house boat trip and two nights after. This hotel is situated in a a great location, only a few minutes walk to the main shopping district and also centrally located to the bars, restaurants and cafes.

The only real issue I would mention is that there were road works in the alley way and they started work at 5 am or there abouts so it tended to be very noisy. Other than that the staff were lovely and very helpful, the room is clean, tidy and nice and spacious. The bed's in both rooms were extremely comfortable.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is NOT on the alley way side as this is quite noisy at night as there is a back...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Well, overall I have nothing to complain about with this place. First of all I got a great deal online. $114/$109 for two nights. Pretty darn good if you ask me considering you are in the heart of Adelaide. The staff on the phone when I decided to change my booking from one night to two were extremely friendly and accommodating and on arrival, the same. I also asked for a room on a higher floor and got exactly that which was nice.

If does seem a little odd that you enter via a side street and that you are right next to a Back Packers, but this did not detract from my stay at all. The side street is a little lane way that's pretty tidy and clean and goes all the way through to Hindley Street. There was the occasional person from the Back Packers outside smoking, but they were polite and friendly and mostly smoking across the lane way (I think I inhaled more second hand smoke just walking the streets of Adelaide anyway).

The Grand Chancellor has a nice old grand feel to it. The restaurant (although I didn't use it) looked really nice. The lifts are quick and the hallways tidy and roomy. My room was a bit on the small and cosy side but it was very tastefully decorated and spotlessly clean. The bed was comfy. The TV was a good quality one. The bathroom was spotless. There was a good selection of drinks and snacks available in the room too. Room service was very reasonably priced, but be warned, the kitchen closes early. I tried to order food at 9.05pm and couldn't :( but never mind, you are literally metres away from Hindley Street with a smorgasbord of great food options.

Speaking of food, right at the end of the alleyway is a great little place called the Penang Malaysian Chinese Restaurant and the food was absolutely awesome (I got food there when I missed out on room service). And Hindley Street is just awesome. Pubs, clubs, restaurants and coffee shops, not to mention Rundle Mall, also metres away. You're also metres away from trams and buses and being a Sydney boy, I reckon the public transport is pretty good in Adelaide.

Look, this place so well priced and generally nice that you can overlook things like not having a really awesome view (I was in a room looking out at other buildings) or having to enter via a lane way. It's quiet (even though you are less than a block from Hindley Street) and the staff are really nice and the rooms pretty darn decent. I'll be back (especially because after my stay they sent me an email offering me a complimentary upgrade next time I come to Adelaide).

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Geoffreyallan
Reviewed 26 April 2014

In my (usual) clumsiness, I had booked the hotel without first checking the dates. The hotel responded promptly and was so gracious in allowing me to cancel the reservation and changing the dates. Excellent customer service!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We were pleased with our room at this hotel. It was large, had a king size bed, and had a comfortable easy chair to relax in.

Don't make the same mistake we made if you are coming by taxi. We neglected to tell our driver (and he did not ask) which Grand Chancellor we were going to, and there are two of them a few blocks from each other. It was a short walk to correct our error but it was avoidable.

The location is good as lots of downtown Adelaide is within walking distance. If you have the time and energy, a walk to the Rundle St. pedestrian may be interesting to you.

The entrance is on a narrow side street, and not intuitively obvious. The staff were friendly and helpful.

There's a restaurant adjacent to the lobby, but check the hours as it is not open every day.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joe H
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I had a two night stay in April 2014, having stayed in the Hindley St area before, but not at this place. It's a nice, clean and reasonably well laid out hotel. My room is also clean with everything you would expect for a hotel - nothing much to say one way or the other.
My only (minor) gripes is that they should clean the grouting in the shower and parking. With thsi hotel, you need to park in Hindley St which is actually a couple of hundred metres away by the time you drive there although fifty or so metres if you walk it. However the reason for this arrangement is obvious and actually quite painless. I'd come here again, for sure.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo