“Excellent location”

Majestic Roof Garden Hotel
Ranked #3 of 55 Hotels in Adelaide
Reviewed 26 October 2009

Nothing negative to say about this hotel, friendly staff, clean large rooms (which are quiet), walking distance to everything!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank blah-trip
Write a ReviewReviews (2,197)

Reviewed 26 October 2009

Stayed for 4 nights in September. Having read the reviews, and advertising themselves as a 4 star hotel maybe we expected something a bit more. On checking in (at 9.30 pm), no one offered to take our bags up to the room. Whilst happy to do it ourselves, most hotels, offer this service. The room itself, was nice and roomy. We had a balcony on the top floor and a view overlooking the car park. The TV didn't work and the staff member who came to fix it, couldn't and said he would get it fixed tomorrow (which he did). The TV was old, it wasn't a flat screen, and the remote had obviously seen better days. The curtains also didn't close properly. These minor things are just that, minor, however for a 4 star hotel, you expect things to work. The bathroom was good, although the whole set up with the windows, was a bit odd and just seems dated.

Staff were okay, not overly friendly, but nor were they unpleasant. Had one meal at the hotel restaurant, meal itself was quite good, good size portions, especially dessert. The waiter lacked personality, as in we think he' d rather be somewhere else, a bit like the hotel front desk staff. I think they have the food right and just need to work a little more on the human side, to make it an all round enjoyable eating experience.

Majestic roof garden I'm not sure what it was all about. There's no bar, coffee shop, just a lot of seats, that don't give the best view of Adelaide, and a whole lot of cigarette butts.

Gymnasium, is in a tiny room, with very little equipment and it looks like they have just wanted to say they have as part of their facilities a gym,. I know you don't book into a hotel solely for the gym, however it really is misleading. They would have been better off, putting a snack machine in the room, so if you were on the rooftop garden you could get a drink or something to eat.

Location great, however Adelaide is so small any hotel would really be a great location.
Would we stay here again, no. For the price next time we'd probably give the Hilton a go.

Just my opinion, but I think the hotel, know they are No 1 on TripAdvisor and have taken their eye just slightly off the ball, and maybe aren't trying as hard as they possibly should be.

4 or 4.5 star, no but a good honest 3 - 3.5. As a previous reviewer,wrote a trendy travelodge and I'd agree that would be an honest assessment of a quite nice, but not great hotel.

6  Thank CyberGreen
Reviewed 23 October 2009

Very new and modern hotel, rooms large and clean (great bathrooms). Good service too.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank dbloke2004
Reviewed 9 September 2009

Great location next to Rundle Street and a few minutes from Downtown and the University.

Clean, well appointed nicely designed room.

One of the better hotels we have stayed in for some time.

1  Thank PipT22
Reviewed 7 September 2009

Clean and modern rooms, great location, lovely btahrooms.

Restaurant was fab

Note no wireless interent at all which meant we went to nearby cafe for breakfast which did have this (note Majestic!)

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank Dumbeldore
Reviewed 6 September 2009

Staff were all very friendly and helpful. The location is excellent, an easy walk to Rundle Mall, Central Markets and plenty of great cafes and restuarants close by.

We stayed in the superior spa suite which for the price I probably expected more. In saying that there was nothing wrong with it, normal inoffensive hotel decor. Lovely crisp sheets, but the beds were a little hard for my liking.

The kitchen was handy and reasonably set up. Balacony very small but nice to be able to step out into the fresh air. While many of the windows were double glazed the bedroom windows werent and nor was the door to the balcony so there was still some road noise. Based on previous reviews I had expected no noise, however it wasnt constant so liveable.

Would I stay here again, probably, did I love it, no, but was there anything wrong with it, no. It was just a normal hotel with normal rooms.

1  Thank cd007
Reviewed 15 August 2009

I was travelling for business & chose this place simply because it was #1 on Tripadvisor. My stay was for the beginning of June 2009 in room 508 & I paid for $180.

Check-in was fine – as was check out, staff was polite enough.

The room was the standard layout of most of the hotels I stay in for work – although I never quite get the point of the inside-outside balcony though.

I liked the comfy bed, crisp sheets & the electric blanket.

The design of the bathroom was divine. I loved the sliding window from the bath side of the bathroom into the main room. The walk-in shower was huge & shower pressure great.

Also I liked that it had a safe.

I was surprised that it didn't have a digital TV – analogue TVs bother me because I can hear the 'beep' they make (however it's not exactly a big deal) but that the remote kept switching back to the pay option when I was on TV option which was annoying.

However remember I was there for business & the reasons I didn't like it was the computer situation. I found the lack of wi-fi annoying. The supplied broadband cable was pathetically short. & at $26 for 24hrs (or $12 for 1hr) it wasn't cheap.

The short broadband cable & because there wasn't a power-point by the bed I was forced sit at the desk. Now I'm sure that the view over the car-park for day work might not be so bad but in the evening to face the wall was depressing.

Finally because I had work to do I ordered room service. I'm afraid it was shockingly bad. The steak I had was burned on the outside, it was not the fillet I had ordered & the flavour of the mash was appalling.

None of the latter would mean much to most travellers & if I got a good deal for a holiday – I'd be happy to stay there. I just wouldn't eat there.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business