“Duck!”

Ranked #128 of 1,672 Restaurants in Adelaide
Price range: US$4 - US$13
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Owners Mei and Piu welcome you to their hidden local family style resturant. Only around the corner from the hustle and bustle of main Chinatown in Adelaide they pride themselves on serving Cantonese family style food. Delivering love and passion into their food and dining experience. They treat everyone who walks through the door like family. We hope you enjoy your Hong Kee experience.
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I am not sure how I have missed this place in all if my trips to Adelaide. I feel so pleased I chanced it tonight and discovered something truly wonderful. My partner and I had Peking Duck, mushrooms & veges and beef fried rice (plus excessive, unnecessary but lovely fried ice cream). The duck was the best outside Hong Kong I've ever had. The second course duck part of the Peking Duck (duck with vegetables) was excellent - this is usually a fairly bland affair but in this case, it nearly outshone the skin dish. The mushroom dish was rich and to die for. The rice? Brilliant. Such an unassuming venue delivered way better than the restaurants around it - this is so worth a look. A small detour beyond the gouger st strip is worth the extra 30 second walk. Try and enjoy as I did.

1  Thank KierenX

Reviewed 8 December 2013

Visiting Adelaide for the cricket found this place close to our apartments and decided to give it a go. So pleased we did. There were four of us and we shared 4 dishes. The food was so fresh and delicious. Service was excellent and the staff were very attentive and pleasant. Also being a beer drinker I was very pleased with the beer prices. We had planned to go back but that didn't happen. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

What a find, we had seen it before but always crowded with Chinese, the food was really nice, large serves, hot and service was good, friendly and efficient. We had 5 dishes between the 4 of us and all of them were very nice. Best of all it was so clean and toilets useable unlike so many in Chinatown.
Crowded with large groups of happy Chinese diners, we were complimented on our use of chopsticks by one group.
Lots of dishes on menu to try on further visits. Closed on Tuesday evening as we sadly found out.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

A return visit to Hong Kee for dinner Friday night for 7 people. Restaurant busy however well and thoughtfully looked after by Rainbow and the front of house team. Consistently high standard of Cantonese food done well. Excellent XO steamed scallops in the shell, prawn omelette, french beans with pork mince, crispy chicken. And dont forget the crispy pancake filled with red bean for dessert or the huge fried icecream! Excellent value.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

Considering the size of Adelaide, there are quite a number of Chinese restaurants and I agree Hong Kee is decent contender among the better ones. Relatively small and located off the main street, we were a little surprised with how many dishes available. There is an English menu but if you are Chinese proficient, many selections are written on papers pasted on the wall and some simple and yet authentic dishes were very tempting.

We came purposely for a good roast duck and it wasn't the best we ever tasted but very good indeed.