“Great fun”

Ranked #56 of 1,739 Restaurants in Adelaide
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 5 April 2014

My friend and I enjoyed a lovely couple of hours sitting in the front window of this great wee eatery on a Friday afternoon. We thoroughly enjoyed trying the different gins and people watching from our great vantage point. The tapas was lovely though we did not strike the 'hot' chilli in the Russian Roulette chilli plate - could have been because we could not finish them all - but a great way to pass a couple of hours!

6  Thank theDayz

Reviewed 10 February 2014

Melbourne makes the most of them and so does Sydney and now Adelaide is starting to catch up. Peel Street was where I had wanted to go, but ended up in Leigh St and was so thankful. I wanted something before I went to the concert in the Festival Theatre with Loir and Nigel Westlake (excellent concert I have to say). The street has thankfully been closed to traffic at long last and has a fantastic atmosphere to it, lots and lots of people sitting on outdoor tables and chairs and generally having a great time. I went into Udaberri and loved the walls, just remove the plaster and leave it bare, the exposed beams of the roof and the tininess of the place. Love to come back again with mates and really experience what they have to offer. One bit that was interesting that I didn't try was the can freshly opened, of sardines or other things, served with bread on the side. How good does that sound. I had a couple of bite size things and then chose three cheeses and asked the waiter if my choice of sav blanc was right for it. He recommended instead and imported wine which fit perfectly.

6  Thank Jeanne S
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Best bar - simple as that - size, atmosphere, staff, music, lighting and bar food. But don't tell anyone. Attracts a crowd that is generations removed from the sleaze that you see in Hindley around the corner.

6  Thank painless1
Reviewed 22 November 2013

We tracked this place down solely because of the rave reviews it was being given. Took some finding too. It's not easy to spot, especially so since there was some kind of ground work going on out front. The first time we walked down Leigh St, we completely.missed it and were almost going to go to Casablanca instead

Anyway, find it we did and, indeed, it is a very dark and tiny place. When we first opened the door and peered in we were confronted by a packed bar and it was doubtful we were going to be able to squeeze through, but the crowd suddenly disappeared upstairs and we were able to take seats at the bar. Where we sat and sat and sat and sat. Nobody came near us for at least 20-25 minutes. It was getting a bit annoying but finally someone did approach us and apologised profusely.

My companion wanted to just order one dish, eat that and then order another and so on but I said in light of the fact that we had to wait so long to get served we needed to order everything in one go. So we did. We ordered salmon pintxo ($3 each) croquettes ($6), baked chèvre ($11), potatas bravas ($5.50), mushroom tortilla (4.50)

Of all this dishes, the potatas bravas was the best. The salmon dish was quite nice, delicately flavoured salmon/mousse on top of chopped tomatoes in a dinky little glass. The tortilla was quite generous size but it was a bit dry. The croquettes were fluffy but I couldn't begin to tell you what was in them as they tasted neither like fish nor cheese. Maybe they were just fried batter. The least favourite dish was the most expensive - the baked chèvre. Did not like that at all and I am a mad crazy fan of goats cheese.

All in all it was a great funky little place and I think I would like to go there again next time I am in Adelaide. Would definitely say you have to go there. It is well worth stepping off the beaten track for

1  Thank BrisCaz
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Absolutely loved it! Great service, food, but the atmosphere and design, beating a little different really makes you want to be apart of it all. Creative drinks, charcuterie is always good! I'll be back!

4  Thank Chasing_the_Rainbow