“The Grand Chifley fills that void between nice motel & quality hotel”

Sage Hotel Adelaide
Ranked #24 of 57 Hotels in Adelaide
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“The Grand Chifley fills that void between nice motel & quality hotel”
Reviewed 8 January 2013

I used the Grand Chifley for a special purpose ....
1. I had a car I needed to park at the hotel every night,
2. I wanted to be close to the city center.
3. I needed room availability for 3 weeks over Christmas & new years (Dec 17 to Jan 6)
4. I wanted a refrigerator in my room,
5. I wanted easy access to the parks surrounding Adelaide (to exercise) &
6. I wanted it all at a "reasonable price".
I used past reviews & the Grand Chifley came out on top.

Some comments on what I wanted versus what I got ....
car park I got, but some nights it was a squeeze, but I always found a space in the Grand Chifley, or one of the adjacent hotels tied to the Chifley chain. My car was small so I could squeeze it into small spaces.
Everything else I wanted was fine, except I was a bit peeved that I was charged for 3 bottles of water when I checked out:
a) they were left out on the shelf top as if they were routine supplies (like the soap, shampoo, coffee, sugar & towels) ... I did not use the wine or chocolates or other supplied drinks in the minibar/refrigerator!
b) I didn't track my usage, but am pretty sure it was 2 bottles only!
I honestly don't care enough to shout & scream at management, I just think it is frivolous & cheap! But then I did get a good price ... so why should I complain!

Because the Grand Chifley was able to deliver on the 6 items I wanted, I really have no complaints .... they definitely delivered on what I wanted.

On additional items that were not so significant for me:
i) I would point out that the TV is pretty limited to local transmitted channels (not an issue for most people) ...
ii) on arrival I was originally assigned a room in the wrong place (adjacent Chifley motel) which required a few minutes of clarification regarding my "actual" booking.
iii) I did not interact with staff much, or use the restaurant or the pool, so cannot comment on those additional features.

I consider the Grand Chifley as an upscale motel or a downscale hotel ... it fills a mid level niche, and I believe it does a good job in that niche! I rate it average as it does not make out to be a high end hotel, it is a very good mid level (average) motel/hotel.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have more features & you will pay more...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
ADLOPS, Guest Relations Manager at Sage Hotel Adelaide, responded to this review, 15 January 2013
Dear Gary-L8
Your review is most welcome and we are pleased we have been able to meet your specific requirements.
Our car parks have been at a premium over the holiday period as many of our guests have been travelling with car. We have approximately 200 carparks for the nearly three hundred rooms between our adjoining hotel properties and generally, as you mention a spot can be found in one or the other. Sometimes this can be a bit of an irritant as people wish to park in the specific hotel they are staying at, but a walk of only a 100 meters or so for free parking in the CBD is a pretty good deal when you compare most other properties charge from $20 onwards for a nights parking privileges.
I apologise for the surprise of being charged for the water from the mini bar. Whilst the price is clearly marked on the mini bar price list adjacent the bottles and shelf items, I have asked our Food & Beverage department to source a 'neck tie' for the bottles which will also bring the charge to our guests attention.
We are in the process of upgrading many of our televisions throughout the hotel as the analogue signal is to be switched off in Adelaide soon. Larger TV's, LCD/LED picture, Digital stations AND Foxtel channels. The units have been ordered and we are now waiting on delivery.
We look forward to welcoming you back when next you stay and again thank you for your comments.

Executive Assistant Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
New South Wales Australia
Reviewed 6 January 2013

I held a family occasion and found everyone at this old Grand Hotel genuinely out to help our group. From the commencement of the project to leaving the hotel I was totally satisfied. The office staff even helped photo copy 2 pages of info for me. The restaurant is comfortable and homely. I found once I realised this is not a huge modern/contemport hotel it becomes like the family home. Don't miss the wonderful breakfast to start the day. If you are wanting some fresh air and exercise, walk across the street to the park. Lots of eateries around but quite a walk to the Mall.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Hi Christina046
Thanks for your comments and the review. It is lovely to hear you and your family enjoyed your experience with us and particularly our staff were attentive and welcoming.
Our breakfast's are a great way to start the day as you mention and I must say, the little chipolata sausages are one of my favorite items...along with the eggs (fried sunny side up for me please), tomato, bacon, mushrooms, fresh fruit, raisin toast, danish...oops, sorry I might just duck into the restaurant now and grab a quick bite - heheh.
We have many guest's who have been with us for quite some time and one of the things they remark on also is our home away from home feel each time they return. A high compliment indeed.
I have commended our staff on their efforts and shared your review with them and we look forward to welcoming you back to Grand Chifley Adelaide when next you visit.

reiveratsea
Reviewed 26 December 2012

As a stopover hotel this was ideal. A clean room on a high floor at the back of the hotel was perfectly good for a quiet overnight stop and a good sleep. Very difficult to fault anything but equally difficult to pick out anything special to remark on.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
ADLOPS, Guest Relations Manager at Sage Hotel Adelaide, responded to this review, 2 January 2013
Dear reiveratsea
Thanks for the review on your recent stay and I am pleased your visit was comfortable.
The higher floors do indeed have wonderful views and are one of many positive features of our property. Your comment regarding fiding anything special to remark on has been noted and we are keen to make improvement on this for your next stay.

Renmark, South Australia, Australia
Reviewed 12 December 2012

Well I stayed at the Grand Chifley, again for work, and got the same great service at reception, I was greeted by the office manager, who very promptly allocated me a room on the 10th floor. The views from the balcony were spectacular, with a 180 degree panorama of the city and hills, the room was very comfortable, with austar on the tele if you wanted to watch movies. My tariff included breakfast, which I sat down to at 6:15am and was greeted by a lovely staff member who made sure my coffee cup was kept full. I will be staying at the Grand Chifley on my next visit.

Room Tip: I can't comment on spa or fitness, as I was enjoying a beer in the restarauant instead. The roo...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
ADLOPS, Guest Relations Manager at Sage Hotel Adelaide, responded to this review, 16 December 2012
Dear Peter C
Thank you for the review on your recent stay at Grand Chifley Adelaide - which I am pleased you enjoyed.
Our staff work hard to provide prompt and friendly service for our guests and it is lovely to be able to pass on guest's acknowledgment of their success as they are one of our main assets.
Your comment regarding the views from our rooms, we also believe, is another of the many reasons to consider our hotel for staying. From the upper floors we offer truly unique aspects of the Adelaide Hills or distant coastline across the Adelaide Plains.
We look forward to welcoming you back when next you stay.

Sydney
Reviewed 10 December 2012

The hotel is rated at 4 and half stars I would only give it 2 stars for reasons that follows. I am a easterner visiting from eastern states of Australia i am used to eastern standards and found the grand chifley not to be as "grand" as it titled there is no pool, no gym, no golf course to give it a 4 and a half star, just a restaurant. The room was expensive and it was basic we stayed here according to pictures from the internet but pictures can't demonstrate the rooms were looking worn out in fact the building look like a 1970's building with bad colour choice. The room consisted of a very limited and hotel controlled flat LCD with very limit amount of analog free to air channels and a handful of foxtel channels about 4, NO digital channels could be watched they were not programmed. The room had 2 comfy beds it also had the stock standard hotel cupboards, desk, luggage area etc... The bathroom is semi new with under presurized shower over bath, sink and toilet, but the floor tiles were chipped and seen better days plus there was noises from neighbouring bathrooms whilst in the bathroom. Our tired and old balcony area had a view of the hills and rundown motel and motorinn , and carpark on the other side rooms have a view of the school which I would find inappropriate as pedophiles could photograph the school children from above. In fact I found it hard to imagine that a high rise was placed next to a school, I have never stayed in all my travels next to or across the road from a school only in radelaide such oddities occur. The balcony door is noisy it rattles at wind it rattles when your neighbours open and shut their door, the air cond is no named brand and noisy, the lights in the room ambiance is like home lighting with cheap Eco bulbs and light covers, the blinds at night let allot of outside lights in and room can get quite warm without opening balcony door or not using air cond overnight the sun rises opposite room. The room is very basic a extra small miniature bar fridge, 2 cups, 4 glasses, 2 sppons, the room door is old and out of place it's brown and look like from the 60's, room service is substandard with head in the clouds house keeping forgetting to present well and leave toilet paper etc.. Hotel is in the middle of no where there is a park across the road that is registered for the school next door called pulterney the tram free towards radelade city and paid towards glenig is 4 minutes walk 400 meters. Otherwise you could walk to the CBD in 20 mins or or so. Recepo looks nice , and friendly front desk staff but tired building takes the grand out of chifley. The pigeons are quite annoying aspect due to their presence and droppings left in the balcony area. Probably will stay somewhere else next time.

Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank SugBrisbane
Dear SugSydney
Thanks for writing a review on your recent stay. I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay and invite you to contact me personally to discuss the many points you have raised.
I have reviewed the official photo's we have showing on many web sites and believe they truly represent our property appropriately - I would be delighted however to view the photo's you speak of and if they are not correctly representative or hotel approved would request they be removed.
I look forward to your call in due course.

Executive Assistant Manager

Travellers are raving about these Adelaide hotels

Singleton, Australia
Reviewed 5 December 2012 via mobile

Great value, very clean, helpful staff and good location. Enjoyed our stay here and very impressed with the cleaning staff. The breakfast was good and also enjoyed a dessert and wine on the room service menu.

• Stayed December 2012
ADLOPS, Guest Relations Manager at Sage Hotel Adelaide, responded to this review, 6 December 2012
Dear Jo F
Thank you for the lovely review on your recent stay at Grand Chifley Adelaide. I am pleased you enjoyed your visit.
Your review has been shared with our staff as they do work hard to contribute to the overall experience and positive feedback is a great way to acknowledge their efforts and success.
We look forward to welcoming you back when next you stay.

Pottsville, Australia
Reviewed 4 December 2012

I booked this hotel through Wotif as a mystery deal as I took my wife to a concert in Adelaide as a surprise. After finding out what hotel it was I searched TripAdvisor for reviews and to my horror there were a lot of negative comments so, I was to say the least, a little concerned regarding my accommodation choice. Let me say from the outset that there is absolutely nothing really to complain about when staying at this hotel and I am not sure what some people expect when booking a 4 star hotel of this calibre and price. The Grand Chifley is well priced, clean, well positioned and very professionally run and I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone. There is just no pleasing some people.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor overlooking the Adelaide Hills.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Graeme H
Thank you for the forthright and positive review on your stay at Grand Chifley Adelaide which I am pleased you enjoyed.
Mystery deals can be a great way to experience different properties at very affordable rates and add a little bit of intrigue to the process.
I am pleased also our recent efforts in coaching staff, review of standards and property improvements have had such a positive outcome as you experienced. We value the feedback, both positive and negative, from our guests as we truly believe there is always room for improvement.
The higher floors with views to the Adelaide Hills are indeed one of the best from the Adelaide CBD - and our views West to the Gulf St Vincent from these same floors are equally as lovely, looking over the Adelaide Plains Western Suburbs all the way to the coast.
We look forward to welcoming you back when next you visit
kind Regards