“Good value”

Ranked #7 of 57 Hotels in Adelaide
Canberra, Australia
“Good value”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Well located, modern, everything it promises.

It can be a little noisy if your room is at the end of the corridor that everyone has to go past. Have stayed twice and will stay again.

A great selection of eateries outside the door

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far past the fire door as possible
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

MillersAndParinga, Manager at Miller Apartments Adelaide, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Andrew D,

Thank you for the review following your visit to the Miller Apartments, I have taken on board your comment about the security door, and am researching the options for softer door closers.

Stuart - Rooms Division Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Guru_g_syd
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Based on the staff I dealt with at Miller Apartments - from daytime reception to housekeeping to nighttime reception, I'd give it a 5 star rating. They were all lovely and professional and friendly.

Based on the location, I'd give the Miller Apartments a 4 1/2 star rating - so close to the tram and Rundle Mall, the main shopping street but also at the beginning of Adelaide's 'sin street' Hindley Street. Mainly an issue to keep focused on Friday and Saturday nights.

If everything had worked and been in place in the actual apartment(s), I'd give Miller Apartments a 4 star rating. They are, after all, modern apartments with modern amenities and can be had, from time to time, at very reasonable prices. There are both 1 and 2 bedroom apartments over several floors, serviced by a single, quite efficient lift.

A few general comments: the bathrooms were modern and clean and water pressure was good (not great but good). The full sized fridge in each apartment has water bottles of 600ml and 1.5litres that you can buy plus there are continental breakfast and snack packs you can also buy without leaving the room.

Furniture is in reasonable condition and a small LCD TV is provided that also plays radio-only if you prefer.

Where it all fell down for me was the air-conditioning and a number of little 'niggly things' that annoyed me. In combination with the air-conditioning situation, it really spoilt my stay.

I stayed in apartment 110 initially on Level 1. A nice, open plan style of one-bedroom apartment. I liked it a lot when I walked in. It felt spacious and modern.

I had to rush in and out as I had to meet someone and would return later. I noticed the air conditioned was preset to 27 degrees. This was a very cold weekend in Adelaide and warmth inside my accommodation was essential. I did notice the room wasn't warm but thought it would warm up by the time I returned that night.

When I did return it still wasn't warm so I turned up the unit to 30 degrees (the maximum) and then got stuck into some work on my laptop. It wasn't until much later that I thought "hey, this room is still cold!" I spent ages trying every combination on the controls to get some action but to no avail.

Eventually I called the night reception guy and he came up and tried - all the same combos as I did and also had no luck. He explained that there were many brands of airconditioners throughout the building and this was one thing that was being replaced as part of the building refurbishment happening this year. He wasn't sure of the specifics of this particular brand - which neither of us had ever heard of.

He was a lovely guy and offered to move me to another room - but it was after 11pm and I was tired so I said I would think about it in the morning.

I rugged up and went to bed. Next morning it was no better so I did see reception and they wanted to send the housekeeper up to check the unit before moving me. This annoyed me a little but it was all said in a friendly manner so I thought 'oh well, don't make waves."

The housekeeper did eventually come up to check the unit and a lovely lady she was. She was also confused about why it wasn't working. She even turned off the master power to the unit and then restarted it. Still no luck.

The second room they wanted to put me in - 111 - wasn't ready so they asked if I could wait for an hour or so. I disappeared into town to do some shopping and got something to eat and then came back. They kindly asked me to pack my things and they would move them. I declined and said I'd do it myself - I hate people touching my stuff, don't you? :)

111 was just around the corner on the same floor so I made a few trips, moving my stuff as I wanted it and all seemed good. 111 was a different shape and seemed a little more claustro than 110 - it also seemed darker and gloomier but the standard of furniture etc. was the same.

Well, the airconditioner in 111 was the same brand as 110 and I had an awful time trying to get the room warmed up. Eventually, on 30 degrees for several hours, it became acceptably warm. Saturday night in the city I started to lose feeling in my hands so I really needed to be back in a warm room.

The little niggles I mentioned earlier were nothing major in themselves - just little disappointments: in the bedroom of room 110 there were no blockout curtains. I'd forgotten my eye mask so that was annoying. Then there were limited accessible powerpoints in both rooms - they were there but you had to get down on your hands and knees to get behind desks to plug in your laptop etc.

Also, room 111 had no coathangers whatsoever. So I went out to K-Mart in Rundle Mall and bought a packet myself. I just couldn't be bothered going back to reception and making another comment/complaint. Room 111 had a few nicks and marks here and there too - again, a minor thing.

I also thought there needed to be some brighter colours in the decor of both rooms. They both felt darker and a little gloomier than many other places I've stayed.

The good news is this: they are undergoing a major refurbishment this year. I believe it has already started so maybe by January 2015 they will have the place kicking over at 110% fabulousness. I'd like to go back when they have done the reno, I really would.

Right now, because of the enormous amount and variety of good accommodation and serviced apartments in Adelaide, I'd probably choose somewhere else when going back to Adelaide (which I've done a lot in the last 12 months).

But if you decided to stay at Miller Apartments - you may not get either of these rooms and you may not have any trouble with air-conditioning etc. I feel Miller Apartments is a good place overall. And the staff really are lovely.

Room Tip: Maybe get a room on a higher level if you are staying on a Friday or Saturday night and are sensitiv...
1 Thank guru_g_syd
MillersAndParinga, Manager at Miller Apartments Adelaide, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear guru_g_syd,

Thank you for the very detailed review following your stay with us earlier this month. We are currently in the process of progressively changing out our AC units for brand new models, and as you noted in your review, we will be commencing a million dollar refurbishment in the next 2 months. We anticipate completion of the refurbishment being late October, so we look forward to welcoming you back after our facelift, and expect to see another review following your next visit!

Darwin
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I use this property regularly and have always found the service efficient and friendly. The rooms are advertised accurately and have all you need for self contained accommodation.
On my last visit however, the housekeeping was poor and the bathroom not maintained as it could have been. We had housekeeping come to the door only on the first day of our 4 day stay.
I will be using the property again, it is in a great spot, convenient and quiet and great facilities. If the housekeeping isn't up to scratch, I suggest letting reception know straight away.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

MillersAndParinga, Manager at Miller Apartments Adelaide, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear nkat82,

Thank you for the review, and your repeated patronage of the Miller Apartments. I will pass on your feedback to the housekeeping team about the lack of service, however we normally only provide a full service on every third day (the remaining being only daily tasks like replenishing toiletries and emptying the bins). We look forward to your next visit from Darwin.

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 21 July 2014

stayed in 2 bedroom executive apartment for one night with a group of friends.
our 5th floor apartment was clean, well appointed and in a very convenient, accessible city location.
although apartments were fully booked, there was notably no noise or disturbance from other guests and rooms.
Staff were magnificent. Friendly, helpful and assisted in making our stay memorable and enjoyable.
Huge thanks to all, especially Andrew for his patient, attentive service.
highly recommend !

Dear KayGee101,

Thank you for your kind words following your stay with us, it is positive feedback like this which motivates the team to continue to provide the excellent service for which we are known. I will also pass on your thanks to Andrew and his team, we are very proud of the work they do here and look forward to your next visit.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I decided to write this retrospective review after experiencing a similar problem in another hotel. In essence this once award winning hotel serves its purpose and fills a relative gap in travel accomodation market (short term self-catering hotel accomodation) despite being in the entrance to a somewhat seedy street of Adelaide which wouldn't affect travellers massively as long as they are using the accomodation as a base. Unfortunately, despite the past award, we observed that the maintanence must have been overlooked in the recent years. We were first placed in room 205 which was overlooking the Hindley street with not only its noisy clubs until the late hours of the night but also a street sweeper truck that starts operating with a sound signal at around 4 o'clock in the morning. The noise was disturbing despite two layers of window (one outside enclosed balcony window, then room windows). The sound isolation was poor causing a poor nights sleep, not ideal if you driving on a long road trip the next day. The next morning we requested to be transferred to another room and were given options of 212 and 213. With no window overlooking the busy street, we decided to go for room 212. While very quiet, this room turned out to have an airconditioning unit which was working at full power with lower power levels broken. Turning it off meant, uncomfortably high temperatures in the peak of summer,again, not ideal for driving a long journey next day. When we were checking out the next morning at the reception, we overheard the following occupants of room 205 asking to be transferred to another room. One wonders if placing naive customers in these faulty rooms has become a pattern instead of dealing with the maintanance issues. I hope these problems have been looked into since january 2014.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank faircitizen
Dear faircitizen,

Thank you for your review of Millers, albeit retrospectively 6 months after staying. I do appreciate the feedback, as we are about to commence a refurbishment of the whole property. The operational team have had somewhat of an overhaul since your visit in January, and we are praised regularly for our levels of service and caring. As such, I can assure you we do not place naive guests into poor rooms, in fact we endeavour to rectify any issues and not have any poor rooms!

Broken Hill, Australia
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Lovely accommodation, the room was spacious and relaxing, perfect location.
Staff were helpful and friendly.
We parked in the Wilsons Parking building next door, which came to only $12 for 24hrs (instead of $42) with the Millers discount ticket.
Also, free Advertisers every day!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

MillersAndParinga, Manager at Miller Apartments Adelaide, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Holly B,

Thank you for your review of the Miller Apartments, we were delighted to read you enjoyed all aspects of your stay!

Hope to see you back here on your next visit from Broken Hill!

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We had a 1 bed apartment that is no bigger than a normal hotel room. The fact that they have partitioned the room off makes the whole place unbearably claustrophobic. Then there was the matter of the whole room smelling like sewerage as the bathroom had obviously not been used for a while, the bed was saggy and our daughter was charged an extra $40 to sleep on a very basic fold out bed that also sagged.
The good point is location close to the Mall but that is where it stopped, the room was noisy smelly and the only saving grace was when we decided after 1 night that we could not possibly stay another 2 nights we were politely given a full refund and we moved over to the Hilton for a bigger room with 2 proper double beds for $10 a night cheaper!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank jessica h
Dear Jessica H,

Thank you for your review, I am sorry that you thought the beds were sagging, I will be investigating this and looking to incorporate new bedding ensembles into our refurbishment plans commencing in the next couple of months. We are also looking into the sewerage smell which you noted in the bathroom. I did see that you rated our service well, and commented on how polite our team were, I would hope that my team attempted to retain your booking by offering alternate accommodation as you were unhappy. Normally we don't recommend 3 adults staying in a 1-bedroom apartment, so perhaps on your next visit to Adelaide, you might stay with us again and we could arrange some more suitable accommodation if you were to contact me directly.