“Awesome quirkiness!”

Ranked #225 of 1,608 Restaurants in Adelaide
Price range: US$0 - US$58
Cuisines: Australian, Mediterranean
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Barossa, South Australia, Australia
“Awesome quirkiness!”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I LOVED dining here! We arrived a little late (around 8.30pm, when most kitchens are closed) but we were happily seated. Not a huge menu, but an eclectic choice. I chose the pork belly (mmmmmm pork belly, drool!), my husband chose the snapper special. Unfortunately he got the pasta special, due to the French waitress not hearing the snapper part, her repeating back the incorrect work with the "special" added which was misheard on our part. We were apologised to most profusely, and offered the snapper still, but what he got was so amazing (pasta with smoked meats), he decided to keep it. We didn't care! What attracted us to this place was the quirky sign out the front, and the owner/manager was so unstressed - it was just perfect! Had such a great chat with Zoran after our meal! He's been going for fifteen years, and you can see why he's been so successful! We had the best night and the best meal out ever! Can't recommend it enough!

• Visited August 2014

Brisbane, Australia
“A really interesting night.”
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Went specifically looking for this place and yes I did nearly miss it - mostly because it doesn't exactly have big sign out the front with the name on it. What makes this place is Zoran, the owner. As other reviewers have noted he really takes the time and goes the extra mile to make a night out really special.

I originally decided I would have one of the pasta dishes but, when Zoran described the fish of day it all sounded so nice so I ordered that

For entree I had the grilled king prawns. At $16 not sure they were entirely worth it - just 4 prawns and some lettuce. But it tasted quite nice and the zing of the citrus went well with the radish and the prawns.

When it was brought out to me, the mains looked spectacular - but the minute I tasted the fish, I knew I would not be eating it. It had a very "gamey" and quite strong flavour and I definitely don't like that in a piece of fish. However, everything else on the plate was so nice and tasted great so I decided to just push the fish to one side and eat everything else. However, Zoran noticed that I hadn't touched the fish so he approached me and asked me what was wrong. I hesitantly told him about the fish but I assured him it was fine. I would eat the potatoes and veggies and I was fine with that. Zoran, however, would have none of that. He insisted I order something else, which I did (pasta with white wine sauce, mushrooms and broad beans). My replacement meal was quite nice and I did eat most of it. I finished up with the lavender creme brûlée which was ok but couldn't really taste any lavender so not sure why it's called what it is called. I'm sure there is a story to it.

However, as I said in the beginning, the charm in this place is Zoran and I told him that. He most definitely made my night and I am sure he makes countless other people's nights as well. What a delightful person and what a wonderful and refreshing attitude he has.

It was a very quiet night and I ended up being he only person in the place so I was able to have quite a long chat with Zoran and I stayed way longer than I intended. Zoran told me many funny stories and he also said that, to him, he only feels happy if he knows we are happy. He said it's not about us, it's about him. He wants us to be happy. Which is why, when he could see I clearly wasn't eating my fish he did what he did and took it away. He also explained that the fish was a particularly strong flavoured and "gamey" fish so he completely understood why I might not like it. I just thought it was so refreshing to come to a restaurant where they actually CARE about whether your dining experience was good or not.

At the end of the evening we examined Zorans "display" table where he likes to place bizarrely shaped or odd sized vegetables and fruits. He told me that the people at the Central Markets keep these oddities for him. And then they get displayed on a table at the front of his restaurant.

Quirky - definitely. Worth a visit - most definitely.

The food takes second place here. It is an experience in itself and I think I would be back here next time I am in Adelaide. Thoroughly recommend

Visited August 2014
Adelaide, Australia
“We always go back.”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This is our favourite restaurant in Adelaide. I always get the lamb & vegetable pie & my partner gets the Pork Belly, he recommends that meal as it less fatty than some other restaurants. We have never had a bad meal yet. The shared plate appetiser is also fantastic & always different with local produce.
Staff are always friendly & welcoming & spend time to make sure you are having a good night. They also check if you are seeing a movie after & will make sure you have time to eat.

• Visited July 2014
Darwin, Australia
“Our constant travel restaurant”
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

Every time we've visited Adelaide, we've pilgrimaged to Jah'z for an exquisite experience. We have never been disappointed for the last ten years in either meal quality or service.

Adelaide, Australia
“Outstanding good and personal service”
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

A group of friends and I went here for my birthday. The food was fantastic and the owner was great at helping us match wines. It's a hidden gem and we will defiantly be back. Also very affordable with the entertainment book.

1 Thank Kristy D