“Exorbitant price for ordinary food”
Review of Shiki

Shiki
Ranked #11 of 1,775 Restaurants in Adelaide
Price range: US$19 - US$76
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Experience Shiki's award-winning authentic Japanese cuisine in the heart of Adelaide. Chef de Cuisine, Kenny Trinh, and his skillful team create delicious and succulent dishes through their culinary mastery. Shiki offers an incredible experience to remember for all our guests. Combining seasonal produce with its amazing Japanese sushi and sashimi, tempura and teppanyaki.
Reviewed 20 September 2013

I usually dont write a review if I cant write a smashing one, however in the instance of Shiki I feel it only fair to warn fellow restaurant-goers of the overall average-ness of this place, before they sign up for a $300 price tag.
We went there with very high hopes knowing that the seafood menus started at $120 per head for 6 course teppanyaki. The ambience of the place was good, but not silver-service nice. Being seated next to a heating grill with a shrill high pitched sound the entire night didnt help either.
The meals were true 'clean eating', however for a $240 price tag, I would expect flavour explosions rather than a bug tail with fresh lemon squeezed on it, and nothing else. Saki started at $20 per service (for very low mls) was over the top, however the one we chose was lovely.
I would have expected a far greater experience for the money. $300 doesnt come easy anymore, and forking that out for an average meal, with no entertainment (I asked for my food to be flicked on my plate and was told 'we are more reputable than that), and only a glass of wine and Saki - no thank you. Never again.

2  Thank Arnotts4664

Reviewed 4 September 2013

We had very high expectations which may not have helped. The wines list is very limited. The calamari was undercooked. There was no choice in when food came out and (perhaps undeservedly so) each meat, seafood and individual vegetable item was served separately. Rice was an afterthought rather than part of the meal which we would have preferred.

Whilst the ambience and service were impeccable, the food and wine experience was very disappointing.

2  Thank AussieBrandy
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Good.
Great theatre. This type of restaurant is about more than the food.
The food. We had the Hakone which was a selection of dishes cooked in front of you, the beef was very tasty. The quantity was about right for us.
Atmosphere. It got busy from 6:30 and with the Sake flowing the vibe was pretty good.

Bad.
Being moved between the second to last dish and the desert from the grill to a table off to the side so they could squeeze more customers in.
The chopsticks. Wooden pull apart like you would get at a hawkers. At $100 per head I would expect better utensils.
Having to remind a waitress about a drinks order.

Conclusion.
If you have never or rarely eaten at this style of restaurant it is a bit of fun and very tasty.
However for this price, in Adelaide, it did not amaze.

1  Thank Peter H
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Overall, the service is poor as there were limited staff and we had to follow-up for our food. Our first two dishes were served first but we had to wait for 15 minutes for the next dish... the teppanyaki. Quality of food was satisfactory but could have been better.

Overall, it was disappointing...

Reviewed 19 July 2013 via mobile

My husband and I booked a table for two for our wedding anniversary. We were somewhat shocked when we were shown to a table with eight other people around a teppinyaki grill.
This lead to a very awkward moment, as we wanted a table with just the two of us as it was supposed to be a romantic dinner, and we were having to explain this with all eight people looking on.
I understand this is the way they do things, but perhaps some explanation when my husband booked would have been helpful.
I could not believe when we were shown to our seats and given wooden disposable chopsticks. For the price you are paying, I would expect better.
Service was ok, but not fantastic.
The food was very nice, but not worth the money we paid.
Will we be back? Probably not.