“Good food but dissapointing service” 3 of 5 bubbles

Auge Ristorante
Price range: US$13 - US$30
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Seacliff, South Australia, Australia
“Good food but dissapointing service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Went to Auge for my father-in-laws birthday. He is elderly and we were seated at a table near the bar. It would have been better if the restuarant didn't take the booking. My partner asked for a chair with a back for her father and was begrudgingly given one chair.
The food was good other not at the standard for this type of restuarant.
Probably won't go back again.

• Visited April 2014
3 Thank Greg R
AugeAdelaide, Owner at Auge Ristorante, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Good Evening Greg R

My name is Terry Soukoulis and I am the proprietor of Auge Ristorante.

Here at Auge, we strive to offer our guests experiences that we ourselves would like to have and I am disappointed to hear that your needs were not met on this particular occasion.

On Fridays and Saturday Nights we are, more often than not, fully booked out in the restaurant area weeks in advance; we then offer the bar area to guests who thereafter request a table. All our staff have been trained to inform guests that they will be seated in the bar area and the full a la carte service is available as well but that the seating provided will be barstools. When the reservation was made for your table, the host was informed of such and they were happy to go ahead and make the reservation.

While we do endeavour to provide proper chairs for the dining area in the bar, on the evening you dined with us, the restaurant had already been fully booked and most, if not all the chairs were inside the restaurant. When your partner requested for the additional chair, one of our staff members brought a chair for you as requested.

We apologise if you felt we were begrudged as that was not our intention. If we had enough chairs for every table in the bar area, we would do so accordingly.

I would like to personally thank you for your time and effort in providing us feedback, as honest feedback enables us to maintain our quality and standards here at Auge Ristorante. May I please forward you a voucher and invite you back to dine with us, so that you can experience Auge as it should be?

Australia
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

Does not deliver on its pretentiousness. We did not have a booking and so accepted a table by the bar. There were other diners at tables either side of us but our table had no cloth (the others did) and one never appeared which made us feel unwelcome. We received a wine menu first but since we hadn't seen the food menu, we didn't know what wine we wanted. However, after a long wait we decided to order a very expensive ($70) bottle of very ordinary chianti. When it arrived we asked for some bread and some napkins and water. Then we received menus and ordered food. When the bread arrived (4 tiny slivers of rather un-Italian bread) we asked again for water and napkins. Eventually water arrived and a little while later, 2 small bowls of food. Still no table cloth or napkins. We asked again for napkins and finally they arrived. Unfortunately the lamb was visibly sinewy and being in a bowl made it difficult to cut. The description on the menu included an array of vegetables that were completely invisible. The pasta with duck was ordinary and lacked flavour. Sheets of pasta placed in a kind of lump with a bland duck sauce. Although the pasta was only a small entree size, I didn't feel like finishing it. When someone took away my plate they asked me how it was and I said ok but no comment was made. We didn't feel like ordering a $16 dessert each so we left disappointed. Would not recommend.

2 Thank SpikeAustralia
UK
“Most disappointing meal on our Adelaide Trip...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

On the last day of our visit to Adelaide, we discoverered Auge Ristorante whilst visiting the Adelaide Markets. We only had an hour to spare, so just wanted a bowl of pasta.

The online reviews looked good, and there was a list of accolades on their window, so we were looking forward to a nice lunch.

Like the reviewer below, we had the seafood pasta. It was extremely disappointing. It was clear to me the seafood has just been thrown into the tomato sauce prior to serving, as the seafood was not particularly warm. The dish was terribly under seasoned, full of huge pieces of parsley including the stem (not a great flavour in this dish), and contained poor quality seafood. Even after adding a generous pinch of the salt, the dish was not worth eating.

To make me even more annoyed, when we sat down we were only offered an ala carte menu. However I noticed that other diners were offered a lunch menu. I managed to look at the menu on the table next to us, and I notice that our pasta dish was $32 on the ala carte menu, however was only $25 on the lunch menu. I realise we're only talking about a $7 difference, but it's really not the point! I was annoyed that the lunch menu was not offered to us, but could not be bothered complaining, as I already knew I would never be returning to this restaurant as it is just not up to scratch.

So disappointing....much better Italian in Adelaide.

1 Thank jack06
AugeAdelaide, Owner at Auge Ristorante, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Good Afternoon Jack,

My name is Terry Soukoulis and I am the proprietor of Auge Ristorante.

In regards to the seafood, we do source it from a local supplier who only uses fresh local produce and am disappointed to hear that you felt it was poor quality. Therefore, we will be taking this matter up with the supplier as well as our head chef and would like to thank you for your feedback to be able to help us improve and maintain our standards.

With the menu that the table next to you had received, that was part of an online promotion with an outside company and the table had purchased a voucher which provided them with a cheaper lunch option.

I do understand as well that it was on your last day here in Adelaide, but if you ever find yourselves back, I would like to personally thank you for your time in giving feedback and to apologise for your experience with us by providing you with a voucher.

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
“Surprisngly Disapppointing!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Auge

Often billed as Adelaides best Italian restaurant I had high expectations about my lunch at Auge. We turned up at 12 and were asked if we had a reservation – which we didn’t. As the place was empty we were mildly amused.

Bottled water. If you are asked if you would like still or sparkling you should know you are being charged $6 per person. We ordered still water and were brought a reused bottle from the stand in the middle of the room. If you are going to fill up pre-used bottles of Italian water how about adjusting your prices accordingly or actually bring us a sealed bottle of still water and not something from the tap.

We also ordered drinks and waited on our menus which didn’t appear to be forthcoming. Im assuming they like to do everything procedurally. In the end I asked for the menus to expedite us ordering and receiving our lunch.

Auge it seems has a preference for diners who like to spend a lazy couple of hours fine dining which for us was not feasible. The atmosphere at Auge was relaxed and the décor was fitting a fine dining establishment.

We received our complementary bread. A meagre serve compared to other Italian restaurants in Adelaide but at least it was warm and freshly made.

After a 35 minute wait we received our mains. I received linguine al frutti di mare which was a seafood dish with prawns, mussels, local fish, calamari, fresh tomato and basil. What I received was a dish that was similar in description but which lacked what you would expect of a quality establishment. I had a lot of flat leaf parsley on my plate, a moderate amount of pasta and a small amount of seafood. I expected bit sizes pieces of fish but got what appeared to be a mash of fish bits – I couldn’t tell if it was Basa or an Australian species. The calamari was the end pieces of the squid and not the succulent middle portions. The mussels were fresh but as is the case with black mussels they lack any real meat inside them. Overall the dish was very poorly seasoned and had a lot of parsley on the plate. I struggled to find any basil and left the restaurant hungry and disappointed.

My lunch date had the pappardelle all’ anatra which was wide ribbons of pasta, duck leg, parsnip, celeriac, chestnut, white wine, kale. On paper it sounds great but the reality was like my linguine – a dish we could have prepared at home that was better seasoned and had more “oomph”. Where the dish went wrong was that all elements lacked flavour. There was no hero in the dish and my date ended up leaving part of her meal behind.

We both ordered the mains size serving, neither of which was filling. We would certainly hate to think what the serving size was like for the entrée size priced at $3 cheaper than the main. When you are asked if you would like sides with your main it’s probably because your main isnt the substantial meal you are expecting.

On the positives the staff were well mannered and well dressed. The atmosphere remained enjoyable even with a 30% occupancy.

Our bill for the two meals with water, a coke and a Vale Ale beer was $83.90 which for lunch in Adelaide is on the high end side.

I didn’t look up what Auge translated to in English but for me it will always mean “average”. I have serious reservations about ever going back there. Perhaps they were having a bad day or perhaps its always like this?

1 Thank cameronadelaide
AugeAdelaide, Owner at Auge Ristorante, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Good Afternoon Jack,

My name is Terry Soukoulis and I am the proprietor of Auge Ristorante.

We do charge $6 per person and we provide free flow of sparkling or still mineral water by Santa Vittoria. The water is kept at a central station to keep it cold and the bottles are not refilled with tap water, they are opened fresh and left in the bucket.

We do often as well cater to people who would like to spend a lazy afternoon with us, but if you happen to be in a hurry, please inform our staff and we do our utmost best to expedite the afternoon for you.

In regards to your meals, I wish to offer my sincere apologies and am very disappointed that you did not enjoy it. I will also be taking up this matter with the head chef in regards to the portion size and seasoning of the food.

Victor Harbor, Australia
“It pays to book.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

We booked late in the week so were only offered a 6 pm time slot. Not an issue really.
Staff were very attentive without being intrusive and also knowledgeable about the food and wine on the menu.
We opted for the Home Style Tasting menu and at $68-00 per person was well worth it.
Everything was delicious and the courses were ample.
We will definitely go again when the opportunity presents.

• 5 of 5 bubbles