All reviews noise travels shade cloth cooking area caravan park overnight stop clean facilities double bed underground room a great experience in town rick barbara swags tour earplugs tv sites
Reviewed 16 September 2016

Could have stayed longer. We loved the uniqueness of Coober Pedy. It's a weird quirky eclectic collection of everything adventurous about Australia. Did the mine tour with the owner, its a must do. If you've not been to Coober Pedy, then do it.

Room Tip: We camped underground! Can you believe it?
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 July 2016

Stayed here twice on our return trip along the Stuart highway. First visit we did the mine tour which was enjoyable, Rick was a fun and informative guide. Amenities were clean but basic and they had free wifi available in the underground tv room.

Camping in the underground area was a novel experience. We have a 3 man tunnel tent which just fitted into our allocated alcove, however the ground is covered in a very thin layer of gravel which made it next to impossible to put our ground pegs into. After a bit of jiggling and clever thinking on my partner's part, we managed to balance the tent enough to sleep in.

Being underground the temperature stayed nice even in winter, but as with all places that sleep people close together, it can be noisy. Our first stay a large group with lots of kids were staying at the far end of the sleeping area, it got very noisy very quick. Once they had settled the noise level dropped to the odd wriggle and snore. Certainly nothing that disturbed our sleep. If you are a light sleeper I would definitely recommend earplugs as the slightest noise is amplified. Our second stay was very quiet, not as many people.

All in all I would definitely recommend giving the underground camping and tour a try. We are glad we did and the owners are so lovely. Make sure you book ahead as it fills up really quickly.

Room Tip: When camping think about how you are going to place your pegs.
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LouThomas
Reviewed 19 July 2016

We stayed in a budget room which was just that. It was value for money at $66 for couples, however I thought it was perhaps a little pricey for my sister and family of 4 at $116 for the same size room. Although more bedding is required and this needs to be compensated for, just thought the price difference was significant. Just a couple of little things that would make the stay more pleasurable would be a mirror in the room and a powerpoint. In particular the powerpoint I feel should have been noted on their website under the descriptions of the rooms. Another couple we were travelling with required a c-pap machine and was unable to use it and they ended up having to book and set up their camper the second night on a powered site. All this aside it was a great stay! Yes the noise travels throughout the space with the underground rooms and tent alcoves and perhaps a little more than if at a 'normal above ground caravan park', however this is part of the experience and if people are to complain about it, then underground camping is not for them. If a really light sleeper or don't have a sense of communal spirit then the underground camping is not for you! Also the floors crunched as you walk on the rubble however unavoidable. The amenities were great considering all other caravan parks in the area you had to pay for the showers. The camp kitchen was basic but functional and the common room could have had a couple more chairs however still a good space. The mine tour was great and informative and is discounted if you stay at the park.

Room Tip: A torch is needed to navigate around the park at night as it gets dark.
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 July 2016 via mobile

Rang from Uluru, asked to book, said I will be 7.5-8 hours, lady on the phone said, I quote, 'no need to book, just turn up'. I said ok. So I arrived and was told I didn't book, so no room available. No underground for camping, nothing. Thanks for putting my family with young kids out in the cold for the night.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank Chook0374
Reviewed 2 July 2016 via mobile

The underground camping was good fun for something different. Our daughter loved it. Unfortunately for us it was very very noisy with people talking late, someone snoring next door and a very noisy squeaky mattress! The flooring is gravel so noisy when people walking around. On the up side the owners are lovely, ablutions old but nice and clean, free WiFi and showers, minetour very interesting and informative. I think we were just unlucky with the noise so would still recommend it.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family