“Beyond Expectations”

Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Kangaroo Island
Yealand
“Beyond Expectations”
Reviewed 12 May 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights at the end of March and we had a wonderful time. The food was excellent backed by fantastic and very friendly service. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff the trips out were great and we saw lots of wildlife and fantastic scenery. accommodation was perfect with very comfortable beds and amazing views.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
New York
Reviewed 9 May 2013

I can't say enough good things about Southern Ocean Lodge. Food-great! Room-great! View-great! Lounge area-great! Staff-great! They knew us by name, and they didn't just serve our needs, they anticipated them. Excursions - great! Many thanks to Helen, Allison, Ash (hope I spelled your name right), Bronwyn, John and Allistair and everyone for a memorable experience. We compared every other top resort we stayed at during our visit to Australia, and nothing could compare to SOL.
There is a very welcoming, family atmosphere at SOL that extends to the guests. We made friends with people from the US and from Adelaide. It was all so effortless. All in all, it was a fun, relaxing experience that we will always remember. One of our top vacations.

Room Tip: All rooms are good. All are along a long corridor with glass on one side and the rooms on the other...
3 Thank constablegal
New York
Reviewed 8 May 2013

We stayed three nights in April. SOL is private luxury and definitely over the top in many respects.

Staff works hard at being helpful (maybe too cheery for my taste) probably as should be at these prices (they are quite high but we knew that).
Our room was mostly beautiful, but without bathtub, a bit odd. And without an overhead light in the shower making that a bit dark.
There is really no swimming pool rather a plunge pool. This did not really bother us but be aware of the absence.

Personally, I found the cuisine distracting, way "too-too" (nouvelle) for my taste: fussy. I understand many look for this and we were more or less advised to consider ourselves lucky to be eating the cooking of a "star chef". There were simply some items I could not finish for lack of interest. Portions as noted elsewhere are quite small. I ordered more than once from the 'alternative menu' which is alternative only in the sense you will actually recognize everything you are eating.
Alcohol is ubiquitous. This is no place for those trying to avoid any such dependency.
When asked what white wine I liked, my answer was Merseault part tongue in cheek, part serious as I don't know Aussie wines that well. The questioner simply turned away.

The lodge is supposed to be non intrusive in the landscape; just kidding as there is no way to be missed in virgin unspoiled land. That said, inside is like sitting in a full naturalist setting without any discomfort whatsoever. I did see the first right whale of the season.

Add on tours are expensive, but the very best was done not by in house staff but by a private company the hotel uses. In house was OK; the private was outstanding. The location is probably the best on the island for seeing the wild life in the southwest national parks but of course you can get there from other accomodations as well.

So overall, it is pretty wonderful... sort of.... I guess.

2 Thank Getitright212
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 7 May 2013

"Exceeded our expectations" is a gross understatement; this small ultra luxury lodge is situated on an otherworldly island that fosters guests to dream big. The accommodations are sumptuously minimalistic outfitted in tones of cream/cool blues and the location is utterly unique. And, Lodge Managers, John Hird & Alison Heath keep this property to exacting standards of service not to be exceeded anyway else in my experience. You don't feel like you're occupying the same planet as other humans, there's no request that goes unaddressed or preference unattended. The 24hr open bar is killer with a divine wine cellar built by the Gods. Outstanding! Whether you entered with a high chic quotient or not, you'll definitely leave with one. Trust Me, the pictures do NOT lie. We stayed in the Osprey Pavilion that essentially off by itself and is a marvelous stroll/hike to the main lounge (took us almost 4 minutes at a steady pace), which we adored given the chance to work off the exceptional cuisine served by an exemplary staff during our stay. You get what you pay for, we felt as though we had happened upon our own home isolated from everything but the gorgeous Southern Ocean. There are no other dwelling in sight! You feel as if you have the property to yourself, privacy is exceptional. The sky is chocked with stars that mesmerize you each evening...city dwellers just aren't prepared for what the sky looks like! Some pointers: (1) Eat & Drink everything, the cuisine is 5 star, local, organic and all those attributes we love, (2) pick and choose your itinerary to suit you not the lodge; but, do everything it's worth it, (3) beware of what's not included (spa & some excursions) and arrange the spa appointments well ahead since the spa is small, luxurious but with only 2 - 3 treatment rooms, (4) Don't leave without purchasing a bottle or two of their Ballies Gin made from wild local juniper berries, marvelously smooth and a huge hit with my artisan friends back home, (5) some animal lovers will have conflicted feelings about the "protected" .vs. "unprotected" fauna on the island. I almost lost it with a guide when they informed me that endangered seal loin pups whose mothers hadn't made it back from feeding were left to die. I don't share their sensibilities or the unwavering adherence to the "fittest surviving". We regularly care for and successfully re-release sea mammals all the time here in San Francisco with astounding results. I bit my tongue, arranged for a giant donation to a rescue and hit the bar. The kangaroos, koalas, wallaby's and echidnas have world class preserves on the island, and they are to be congratulated for their efforts especially after the devastating fire in 2007, and (6) Take in the Adelaide environs before/after your stay on the island; their wine county reminds me of the Napa Valley in the 1970/80's, personalities everywhere and a unique viticulture. Southern Ocean Lodge is a signature experience that you will be thinking and talking about for years. Enjoy, it'll be unforgettable!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SanFranDMJ
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 7 May 2013

My husband and I had 3 nights here in March for my birthday. It had been on our bucket list since opening and it certainly lived up to all expectations. Location breathtaking, suites amazing, architecture brilliant, food superbly produced by chef Tim Bourke - he is the jewel in the crown - use of local produce and the textures and flavours were fabulous. The staff were nothing short of perfection - if only all hotels could take a leaf out of their book. The open bar and wine cellar had a huge selection available. The guides who took us on our included tours were also very knowledgeable. Our hats go off to the owners James and Hayley Baillie (who also own Capella Lodge on Lord Howe Is - another must do destination for all - I have been there 3 times but not to Capella as yet). Also the managers of the lodge who personally greet you on arrival and farewell you on departure. All the travel and tourism awards and accolades are more than deserved. (and being a travel agent I am very critical). The whole experience was nothing short of understated luxury and perfection.l

Room Tip: The resort is built on a sloping ridge so rooms closer to reception not so far to walk if that bothe...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sallymaree
philippines
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We came to Southern Ocean lodge from Port Lincoln after an extensive coastal safari and really did not have any pre-conceived notions on what staying in the lodge would feel like. We knew it was at the top of the heap but did not expect a once in a lifetime experience. We traveled with 5 of our teen children hoping to give them a fun filled yet relaxing vacation...And yes that is exactly what we got and much more. SOL can be defined in one word LUXURIOUS. However, despite the luxury it offers, what makes this hotel stand out is its people, their attention to detail and their hospitality that cannot be beat. So its not just about the decor, architecture or the views (which you cannot beat either). Upon arrival we were greeted warmly, sat down to dinner, and given a luxurious menu which changes everyday apparently. The servers were smiling warmly, cracking jokes, asking you to share your day's experience and were happily accepting you like you were part of the family which is such a PLUS! Everyday, we had an activity which was nature filled and interesting. We went fishing and my son caught a 47cm salmon on the first cast. The fish was cooked gourmet style the next day for our lunch and cooked and served sepcially for us. My son was so proud that I know that exeperience made him proud..Now that is what I mean by going out of their way and giving service.
There is a giant bar in the middle of the room where most of the guests converge, chat like old time friends and talk about family, travels over drinks. The selection of which is never ending. It felt so much like home and yes, we will definitely recommend it to friends, family and anyone who is looking for real luxury indeed.

Room Tip: Traveling as a family, you can choose the 2 bedroom units which are called Ocean premium suites..Eve...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 1 May 2013

My husband and I visited Southern Ocean Lodge a few weeks ago for sadly.. only 2 nights. The Southern Ocean Lodge is such a beautiful hotel in the most superb location. They run a very slick operation, the staff are the best we've ever encountered, nothing is too much trouble, everyone knows your name from the minute you arrive, the service was impeccable. We truly felt like VIPs. There were 3 politicians and there wives visiting at the same time but they were treated no differently. Our room was fantastic I cannot imagine how the more expensive ones could be better. The food was exceptional and the open bar dangerous!! We both had a spa treatment which was also divine.

2 Thank SydneyLibby