“Great food, great service”
Review of Alexander's - CLOSED

Alexander's
Price range: US$20 - US$24
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Restaurant has been closed
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Had dinner at Alexander's Restaurant last night with a discount voucher we purchased, the restaurant gladly allowed us to upgrade to whatever we desired at minimal cost. We dine out quite a bit usually using our entertainment book and this is one of the better places we have been for service with Ruth our host being very polite and accommodating, food also was good with our steaks both cooked to perfection as ordered something I have found of late is hard to come by, even in steak restaurants. we will definitely return. Only issue was it was very hot inside.

1  Thank jjw2763
Justin G, General Manager at Alexander's, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear jjw2763,

Very glad to read that you enjoyed your night at Alexander's. We have a great 60 day aged Black Angus Porterhouse on the menu that is very popular.

Thank you also for your comments on Ruth and I will ensure they are shared with her.

We look forward to seeing you back in the future.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

We dined using a discount voucher. There was no compromise by management in terms of the size or quality of the servings (some do you know) except the condition of the voucher was that the entree had to be shared. Sharing a painfully small entree with my wife was not an option that would sustain our marriage, particularly as I eat faster. This was arguably, once Hobart's premier restaurant. Not now. The menu was limited but the food we had, was cooked very well. My steak was large, perfectly cooked and tender. Best steak I have had for many years My wife chose the lamb which seemed excellent also but she kept her eye on my steak . The Lenna, which houses the restaurant, is one of Hobart's grand mansions from the 19th century. There is evidence of this grandeur in Alexanders but the atmosphere is not conducive to enjoyable dining. The venue was too bright and the colours were not relaxing. Yellow is used to keep people awake in conference situations, not relax diners. The service was fine but there were very few diners. Would I go there again? Probaly not. Battery Point is one of Hobart's prime restaurant areas. Within metres there are more exciting restaurants selling a much wider variety of food at better prices. Hobart dining has matured and now has an excellent restaurant scene. Alexanders has not moved in unison.

Justin G, General Manager at Alexander's, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Doobasdad,

Thanks very much for your feedback it is very much appreciated.

We have recently changed the style of Alexander's from what was traditionally fine dining to a more Modern Australian showcasing some of Tasmania's amazing local produce. We have seasonal menus and nightly specials and have been receiving really positive feedback about our food and service.

Our apologies for the confusion with your voucher. Unfortunately with discount vouchers they generally are not flexible, however, it would have been possible for you to order an additional entrée and I'm sorry that this was not explained to you.

Thank you for your comments on the atmosphere and this is certainly something we will look at improving on.

We are glad that you both enjoyed your meals and the 60 day aged, Black Angus porterhouse is one of our most popular dishes!

We look forward to seeing you back again soon to try our new winter menu starting in mid June.

Again, thank you for the feedback.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

We both really enjoyed our dinner here. The menu is not huge but has enough choices. My salmon was cooked perfectly and tasted great. My husbands steak was not the best steak he's ever had but it was fine. It was nice to sit at a table with a cloth tablecloth and have wait staff that are attentive and pleasant. They are showcasing Tasmanian food and wines beautifully. The restaurant is set side the delightful Lenna mansion and is the perfect setting for a special night out. There is also a bar in the front room where you can have a cocktail before dinner if you wish.

1  Thank Lyndy J
Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

I got a voucher for this restaurant so made a night of it with a bunch of friends. I'd never been before and was blown away by the opulent decor! We especially loved the little garden out the back.
The quail entrée was delicious, but perhaps needed some kind of sauce. My steak was amazing! Perfectly cooked medium. Some of my friends' steaks were a bit over done though.
I really enjoyed the customer service, the lady looking after us was lovely.
I'm glad I had the chance to experience Alexander's!

1  Thank Sophie C
Justin G, General Manager at Alexander's, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2014

Dear Sophie C,

Thanks very much for your feedback and glad you enjoyed the visit.

Alexander's restaurant is in Lenna of Hobart which is an 1874 beautiful mansion that all guests can enjoy.

We have worked very hard to present Modern Australian food showcasing some great Tasmanian produce and we are glad you enjoyed.

Look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

For such a seeming classy restaurant, I and my companions were disappointed in the food. The taste for each dish was average, but at least they gave a generous pour of wine. It's not worth the money, so I'm glad we had a voucher.

2  Thank CeNedra88

Dear CeNedra88,

Thanks very much for your review and I was sorry to read you didn't enjoy your visit to Alexander's.

We try very hard to provide fresh, seasonal food showcasing some of Tassie's best produce and I have shared your comments with our Executive Chef.

Glad you enjoyed the wine. We have an extensive wine list and cellar list featuring some great Tasmanian and Australian wines.

Hope to see you back again.