“Trip Advisor can sometimes be unfairly cruel!”
Review of Quarry Salamanca

Quarry Salamanca
Ranked #39 of 47 Hotels in Hobart
Reviewed 8 March 2010

Last night I stayed at the Quarry Boutique Apartments in Hobart and my experience was nothing like some of the reviews on this site.

I booked the room in a rush at Sydney airport yesterday and didn't look at trip advisor until after I had booked. Wow! From what I read I was almost ready to cancel the booking! Clearly someone had a bad experience and wanted to tell the world about it.

My experience has been completely different. This is a beautiful boutique apartment hotel with stylishly designed rooms overlooking the bustling Salamaca Place. The bed was excellent, it was quiet (and a Monday night), the bathroom was brand new and the location is the best in Hobart.

I'll end my review there and I encourage other people who have stayed here to add their review as well. It's not fair for a nice hotel to be slated by one (rather precious sounding) customer.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
5  Thank Antyg

Reviewed 15 January 2010

As can quite often be the case with this web site ... the reviews of The Quarry are laden with reviews left by hard to please, critics who prefer to only highlight an aspect of a property that they found to be inadequate.

We stayed there with friends, and none of us found it to be noisy at all. Obvoiously some of these peaople did find it noisy, and that is all that gets highlighted. This is a short fall of this site.

My wife and I are very well travelled and are as critical as anyone. This apartment was one of the nicest (if not THE nicest) accommodations that we have stayed at anywhere. And for the bargain price of $250!!

I thoroughly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank Clint W
Reviewed 10 December 2009

The Quarry apartments are above a bar/restaurant and next to a busy pub - Irish Murphys. They are described as "subject at times to noise". Do not underestimate how much noise this actually means (loud music and general partying noise), from restaurant/bar and pub and be aware that this can go on until 2/3am. The Quarry restaurant opens at 7am for breakfast and so music starts then too (as well as the sound of scraping furniture being set up outside).

Other than that, tastefully furnished and comfortable bed (although this didn't compensate for the noise!)

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank JenBlog
Reviewed 19 August 2009

A negative review by itself may not be a true indication of the accommodation but on reading the reviews here there seems to be a volume of evidence to suggest that things are not right at Quarry Salamanca. My partner had booked the Market room as the 1st night of my 40th birthday present (a very special trip to Tasmania) and if she had read these reviews or knew what was in store for us she would of chosen elsewhere.

We arrived on a Saturday afternoon to find that the Market room that my partner had booked a month earlier and was described on Wotif as a room "with views of Salamanca market and the Harbour." was not available and we were now in the Waterman apartment a room described on Wotif as "This apartment is located directly above our bar and is at times subject to noise."

Owing to the significance of our trip, the effort my partner had made in creating a special journey and the fact the room we had booked was more expensive because we had booked a 'superior room' we went downstairs to ask to be moved to the room we had booked. "Justin" the manager was not available so one of the bar staff called him and he he told her that there was nothing they could do. My partner insisted that the bar staff call him back so she could speak to Justin in person. When Justin got onto the phone he said that there was no difference between the rooms, it was below the full rate of $350 and that she (my partner) would be embarrassed if he showed her the other rooms to find they were all the same, he was extremely rude to my partner and said he would turn up later.

On finally arriving Justin took us up stairs and showed us other rooms that were available, he constantly spoke over us and I had to ask him to stop talking so we could get our point of view across, he was insincere and had no concept of customer service. After showing us the other rooms (not the Market room) he said he would give us a couple of minutes to decide if we wanted to stay or not. After consulting with my partner we decided we would stay so I went down to the bar to inform Justin of our decision with the proviso he gave us a discount to the Wotif price that was quoted on the internet for the new room (approx $50 refund).
Justin said he would do this but as long as we didn’t give him or his staff ‘any more trouble.’ He then added that he was ‘offended at our complaints and we should be embarrassed.’ At this stage I said to Justin that we now no longer wanted to stay and that we were going to get our bags and that we wanted a full refund.

I walked out of the restaurant Justin followed me out, I felt it was appropriate that he came up to the room to watch me take our gear out as I did not trust him at all and I didn’t want him to make up any false accusations about damages to the room and end up with a nasty surprise on our credit card. I said to Justin ‘do you want to come up to the room to supervise us leaving? Justin’s reply still shocks me when I think about it, he replied by saying ‘are you threatening me?’

I said ‘what?’ (I know I was in Tasmania but I was confident that English was the main language!!) Justin said ‘you want to get me off the street so you can assault me, I wouldn’t do that if I was you.’ Justin puffed out his chest and moved towards me and asked me if I had an anger problem!! Justin was escalating the conversation in what I believe was an attempt to start an altercation so he had reason not to give us a refund.

Despite how threatening and potentially dangerous the confrontation had got my partner and I remained calm and gave him no opportunity to start the fight he was looking for. I believe if I had moved my hands up from my side or said anything inflammatory he would of started a fight despite being in view of half a dozen stunned onlookers.

I said to Justin just let me get my bags, I then walked away entered the premises and removed the bags. The final part of the problem was getting the money off him, which he wouldn’t do until he had the key and we wouldn’t do until we had the money!

He finally gave us the money, which we counted first then gave him the key, he then calmly turned around and started playing barrista at his bar, we were dismissed!!

We got outside of the Quarry and then walked 100m down the road sat down and because we knew Justin had the details of our credit card we decided to cancel the card, we felt that strongly about the potential for misuse of our card.

In summary we have travelled extensively around the world and this would rate as the worse travel experience ever. Experiences like this undermine all the hard work done by genuine people trying to make a living in the tourism industry. Justin if you get to read this I can assure you, you were long forgotten after the first great bottle of Tassie Pinot Noir.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Karapoti
Reviewed 3 August 2009

My partner and I booked 2 nights on the first weekend in August, looking for an excellently located Hotel for a quick getaway to Hobart. We are airline employees and as is standard practice with hundreds of thousands of airline employees over the globe, we always book directly with the Hotel for an "Industry Rate". An early indicator to the impending doom should have been the attitude of "Justin" who took our booking over the phone. We asked for their "Airline employee rate" and Justin's condescending response was "Oh..that's a new one!".
We arrived late morning on the Saturday and without knowing how or where to check-in we wandered into the downstairs bar and were told quite tersely by the female waitress that we would need to come back at 2pm. She did however store our large suitcase under the bar for us.
We came back at 2pm and were given a key to our apartment on the 2nd floor, "Market". We were greeted in the entry-way by 5 very large, very ORANGE linen bags which had been casually thrown in the way of the steep stairs leading up to the apartments. After navigating these we found that our room was quite a pleasant combination of 19th-century bare sandstock walls and modern furnishings. As mentioned by the other reviewers the bed is fairly comfy. We noticed pretty quickly that we could hear the French woman through the paper-thin wall to the apartment next to us but we were not particularly bothered at first. We decided to give the restaurant downstairs a go for dinner on that night. We arrived downstairs without a booking to a restaurant area barely 30% full with other diners. We asked for a table for 2 but were told that they were "booked-out...sorry". We looked bemused at the more than half-empty restaurant when another staff member intervened from behind the bar and informed the waitress that there was a sudden "cancellation" and that we were in luck! Wow...what a privelege!! We were shown to our table and had a resonably good meal (seafood and wild mushroom risottos). We retired to our room as we had been up since 4:30am for our early morning flight.
Things went belly-up from then on as we walked up the stairs past the first floor and the apartment directly below us called "New Wharf". It was clear that a large gathering had invaded the apartment with lots of load conversing and some yelling going on. We got into our apartment and tried to ignore the increasing noise level coming through the floor and through the gaps in the mortar of the standstone walls. We stomped on the floor a couple of times and clearly heard a maniacal scream from a female partygoers downstairs yelling "that'll just make us party louder, honey!". Trying to ignore it again we got fed-up and phoned the "management" downstairs to inform them of the fact that a party had gathered in one of their apartments. We had the repeat misfortune of getting "Justin" downstairs in the bar who responded to our complaint with a mixture of disdain and shock that someone dare speak-up and make a "complaint". He made an insincere-sounding assurance that he would "deal with it straight away". Another hour went by and clearly nothing had been done. I then felt the need to get my coat on and go downstairs to confront this Justin tool. I walked in and approached the same manager who served us at dinner (not knowing that we were also Hotel guests). I asked if he was Justin and asked what was happening about the issue of the noisy party happening below us. He confirmed that he was Justin and that he was in-fact the "owner" of the entire establishment. He gestured towards the clientelle in front of the bar commenting that "he clearly had his hands full with his bar patrons". I asked, "well what about your Hotel guests? and what is your policy on parties in your Hotel rooms?" He responded by saying "We don't allow them, obviously". When I then asked what he was actually doing about it he said that he would "sort it out" but he clearly had no intention of doing so. I was treated with such utter disdain and disregard that I walked back upstairs wondering why the hell we were giving this guy business (not just the accommodation, but the earlier meal aswell!). There is no clearly defined role for the staff of the establishment and their responsibility to the attached Hotel, which is confusing at best for the Hotel guests.
The party downstairs finally disbanded when they all noisily left at 12:15am, no doubt on to one of the nearby nightclubs.
There is no doubt that the location of this property inherently adds some noise from the patronage and pedestrians outside the downstairs bar and neighbouring restaurants/pubs. This is all fine, but when there is clearly a loud gathering going on WITHIN the property, you expect that it is within the control of the Hotel "manager" to deal with it. Justin did not have the spine, nor the inclination to even help sort it out. The guy clearly has NO IDEA!
We checked out on the Monday morning by a very frosty female waitress who had clearly been tipped-off about the two "viscious" guests residing upstairs. We gave her the key back which she unceremoniously snatched out of my hand without any hint of a "hope you enjoyed your stay". I would definitely NOT recommend this Hotel to anyone and will go out of our way to warn everybody planning a trip to Hobart away from this awful place. Some American friends of ours stayed at the Henry Jones Art Hotel last year and had a fantastic stay. We'll be booking that one next time.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
8  Thank TravelBubs
Reviewed 24 July 2009

I booked Quarry Salamanca on internet before i came across review from TripAdvisor, since it's non refundable, i do not have a choice so i go ahead with the hotel.
Reached Salamanca on Friday 1.30. Understanding check in was at 2. But decided to give it a try for early check in. Was clueness how to check in until went into the restaurant to ask about it.
Waitress simply replied you cant check in yet. come back later.
You will suffer if you have a luggage. Narrow + steep stair.
As it was salamanca market on sat. you have to park your car quite a distance away. Stayed on the 2nd level. Noise level was not that bad.
Either than that.
Room was clean and neat. No complain about the room except the showerhead,
Room equip with washing machine, oven and microwave.
Great room with reasonable price.
Will recommend to those who are not driving and want to go to the salamanca market and experience a wkend at Salamanca.

Nice experience, but will opt for other hotel for my next visit.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 June 2009

On arrival we were told that our room had been overbooked and that we were being "bumped" to another establishment. I had booked the room for 5 nights, in person many weeks earlier and, at that time, there was only one other room booked. We requested to see the Manager and were told that he was uncontactable until after 5pm when he would be covering the evening shift. We left our number for him to call us and went in search of the alternate accommodation.
After 5pm we returned having received no phone call. We waited some time for the manager to front up and when he eventually did he gave us a completely different story to the earlier duty manager. He told us that the room had been trashed and was therefore unavailable.
His apology appeared empty and insincere. We left with the promise that he would ring us to let us know if the room would be available for any of the 5 nights that we had booked. Needless to say we never heard from him for the duration of our stay. Overall we were treated appallingly. The manager would do well to undertake a crash course in customer service.
After reading the other reviews it would appear that we didn't miss out on much any way. I definitely will not be recommending this hotel to anyone.

Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple