“Fab place to stay”

Ranked #39 of 47 Hotels in Hobart
Marbella, Spain
“Fab place to stay”
Reviewed 28 September 2010

the Quarry on Salamanca place is a great modern hotel/ apartment. It is noisy but bring some earplugs if you are staying the week end and you ll be fine. The hotel is situated in the heart of all the attractions. I do recommend the Peppermint Bay Cruise and the Salamanca market on Saturdays. Next to the Quarry you have a fruit & veg market is you want to eat @ "home" but if you fancy some exquisite Tasmanian food you have plenty of choice with all the great restaurants nearby.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 22 September 2010

I loved the room, the decor etc and the position was great. I was on the top floor at the front and didn't find the noise from the bar and street a problem at all. However I did find the fact that I could hear absolulety everything that went on in the next door apartment very disconcerting. It is unusual to be able to hear cutlery clinking on plates in the next apartment and i now know more than I ever wanted to about the lives of the people next door. Thank god we never met! I am going back to Hobart in November and won't be staying or recommending this to anyone.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Josephine14

Travellers are raving about these Hobart hotels

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 13 September 2010

I booked my stay at the Quarry Boutique Apartments before I read any of the reviews on Trip Advisor. Most of the reviews were bad - really bad - and I was nervous about staying there, particularly over the weekend.
The apartments themselves were lovely. There was everything you expected of a boutique apartment. (Oddly though, there was no phone.) What I was most nervous about was the night noise, because the Quarry Boutique Apartment is situated just above the bar, and Salamanca Place is a night spot that gets very very noisy on the weekend. While I could hear noise (and I booked a room at the back of the hotel to limit noise), it wasn't loud. However, if you're a light sleeper, you'd find it difficult to get to sleep. (I would recommend The Old Woolstore Apartments in this situation; however, it is not in the same style, but is very comfortable nonetheless.)

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jessica C
Melbourne
Reviewed 1 September 2010

OMG! What is it that people don’t get? “…no air conditioning, poor lighting, dusty from exposed walls” (see below). These flats offer a unique opportunity to stay right in the middle of bustling Salamanca Place. And more than that, in an environment interfacing cutting-edge design with exquisitely expressed heritage. I’m sorry, but WE LOVED IT. Nestled above the hum of the hustle and bustle of people enjoying themselves, bathed in subtle (and adjustable) lighting, wrapped in an envelope of 170 year old timber and stone construction. And that’s all before you get to the wonderful king-size bed, the subtly coloured leather divan sofa and the gorgeous bath with a view. If you want a stay-at-home experience, stay at home. If you want edgy and sophisticated in Hobart, it’s The Quarry.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KandRMelbourne
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 1 September 2010

We picked this place to stay despite the mixed reviews that I had read here on tripadvisor. This mainly due to it's proximity to the Salamanca Markets and harbour. We booked the Market Apartment for the Friday and Saturday night, because it was meant to be quieter.

When we went to bed at midnight I thought we were going to be ok with regards to the noise, but I felt that it actually got noisier as the night (morning) went on. I am not so much complaining about the noise as such because I knew that there would be some noise, but more to share wit others so that they can make an informed decision before booking this place, because the king sized bed might be nice, but it's not much good when you are laying there WIDE awake!!

Other disappointments in this place included, chipped crockery, vinyl coming away from the wall in the bathroom, and NO bin in the kitchen (only a tiny bin in the bathroom). Also there is NO parking provided, so is just another problem/concern when you have a car (you can't park on salamanca place from 5am to 3pm on saturday due to the market).

I just expect more for my money - next time we stay in Hobart we will stay elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Cairns
Reviewed 15 June 2010

Great location and rooms just ok - a lot of thought in design, however very little thought in the practicality. Terribly set up - steep stairs to climb, not enough crockery, cutlery, pots & pans (do not expect to be able to cook for yourself - increases their revenue in their restaurant I guess!), no air-conditioning, poor lighting, dusty from the exposed walls, etc etc etc. These issues were addressed with the manager, but he simply just didn't care or feel the need to apologise - more interested in the restaurant it seems. He was actually so rude as to walk away from me mid-way through our discussion to make a coffee for a restaurant patron - with not so much as an ëxcuse me""to be muttered. When he returned & rolled his eyes at me I could see I was wasting my breath - so thought trip advisor may be a better forum to get my points across.
I find it incredible that for all the terrible comments on trip advisor management hasn't responded to any of them - I would be ashamed!
Noise is an issue (as many comments explain) - some people have said it is a non-issue, I found it to be just one of many disappointing aspects of the hotel.
There is no one on site to assist guests, so one must say their service is non-existent.
Parking is impossible - something they cannot change, but do not advise guests of the lack of facilitiy - again, disappointing.
I just found the whole experience a real let-down and would never return. I have previously stayed at Henry Jones (who were fully booked for this trip) & you cant compare the two for parking, views, service and style.
I also found other terrible reviews for this property under "Quarry Boutique Hotel" - have a peak at those too! Wish I had seen these reviews before my stay......
My final comment is to beware of 'self-rated' properties - there is a reason why other properties pay thousands of dollars to be rated. It is very easy to claim to be a certain star-rating when, in fact, you don't offer the service or facilities to back-up the rating.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank littlemisstraveller8
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 25 May 2010

We booked for Sat and Sun night and went with 'intrepretation' - but it was 'All Good". We were in Market room on top floor. Sat, some night noise from the street but nothing dreadful. Sun nite was very quiet. We lucked out (suspect the cold weather kept the party goers away) and really enjoyed the quality of the room, and the convenience of the location. We parked directly out front from about 5pm on Sat - no fees until Mon morn.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple