“Nearly Good...”

Ranked #41 of 54 Speciality Lodging in Hobart
Adelaide, Australia
“Nearly Good...”
Reviewed 26 April 2014

An old and tired motel that new owners have put effort into bringing back up to speed. Have done quite well, but disappointingly cut a few corners along the way diminishing its potential.

The room itself was clean and tidy, with new carpet, and a newly painted "feature wall" adorned by modern art in the best traditions of "The Block". Would compare more than favourably with any standard Motel room in the country - however... We paid the premium for a motel room with spa and kitchenette, and need to judge against a higher standard.

The double bed was huge (if a little firm for my taste), but the doona was a little less huge and awkwardly wrapped in a pair of sheets to give the impression of actually reaching the edge of the mattress. There was no reading lamp and all room lights shone in your eyes from the bed.

The spa was a bottom of the range triangular model with 3 seating positions and only 2 jets per seat. Compared with the "all over massage" we have enjoyed in other motels, this was more like a poke in the ribs. In spite of having looked forward to the spa, we didn't bother using it after the first night.

To provide the kitchenette, they cut a hole in the standard motel room bench to fit a single bowl sink, and sat a small microwave on a shelf above. You could fit the toaster or kettle at the end of the sink, but not both at the same time. There wasn't even room for a cutting board - although this was not such a problem as there was no cutting board. Or vegetable knife, or peeler, or salad bowl, or in fact any other culinary tool or appliance save the solitary exception of the can opener that hid in the cutlery basket. If your gastronomic skills exceed zapping the contents of a tin, in the bowl you plan to eat it from, don't bother packing them. We ate lunch and dinner elsewhere every day.

If all you want is a sleeping venue, then this is marginally better than a bog standard motel room. The kitchenette and spa were oversold, and not worth the premium paid.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Claire L, Manager at Waterfront Lodge Motel, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Thank you for your Review its great to get feed back from guests that have stayed with us it makes us understand what guests expect and we will resolve most of these requests once again thank you for your feed back we are glad you enjoyed your stay.
Happy Travelling.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Indonesian first
Split, Croatia
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I have stayed here previously and was accommodated in the main building. This time my room was located in the cottage at the rear of the property. Initially I was a little put off but upon entering the room I was satisfied with the space.Waterfront Lodge is a great place to unwind and relax. Its located just outside of Hobart and if you have a vehicle -you are just a few minutes away from the city. Limited parking exists on site and while I had a spot for the first two nights, I had to park on the street on the third night as I had arrived back late at the hotel and all the spots were taken. But the street is quite with very little traffic so it really wasn't a problem.. As I was in the cottage at the rear I had to walk down the driveway but the whole area is really well lit so it was not a problem. I am not familiar with public transport options. I found the staff to be helpful and efficient. My room was comfortable and modestly appointed. I think the images online differ slightly but I had everything I needed. I guess every hotel shows the most flattering photos. The bathroom was a little dated but it was clean.As Hobart gets cold even in summer months, I appreciated the electric blanket on the bed. Coffee, tea and milk are in adequate supply in the room. The reception area provides free wifi and has a verandah where I was able to sit and enjoy the calm water view. Other guests were enjoying a bbq in the back yard. There is a communal kitchen which I was unable to use as it was in the process of being upgraded. The room had no ironing board or iron but the reception staff explained that they carry both items at reception and guests need only ask. Going out throughout the day I returned to a room that was serviced by way of fresh towels, bed was made up and the rubbish was removed. Overall I enjoyed my stay. The hotel was really busy and the other guests were all friendly and talkative. The mix of guest was interesting- locals, tourists, singles, couples and families. I was comfortable with the atmosphere, room and service and the prices were affordable. I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Cottage rooms are more affordable but equally comfortable but the communal kitchen is located in the...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Claire L, Manager at Waterfront Lodge Motel, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Thank you for your feed back we are glad you enjoyed your Stay.
Waterfront lodge is under new management from the 8/4/14.
Happy Travelling.
Perth
Reviewed 27 March 2014

We booked this Hotel through a booking agent and did wonder after reading the reviews if it was a good idea. NOT a good idea. We arrived at 8.30pm to complete darkness and after finding a key in a hidden box attempted to find our room (in the pouring rain). No directions so fumbled about for 15 minutes and finally found the room, by this time rather wet. Hard to discern where we were but it was in a small section at the back of the property with several rooms and a long wooden stairway to our room. We had trouble finding a light switch so we could climb the stairs. We entered and after about 3-5 mins I started to feel sick. The room seemed to have been sprayed with insecticide and with only a very small window for ventilation it was extremely hard to breathe. I am sure if we had stayed we would have been quite ill. The property itself did not appear to be kept in a very safe manner and after talking to another resident who was walking around trying to find mobile reception his comments were ("mmm - very interesting place!). We had difficulty finding alternative accommodation at that time of night and when we did we could only get a very expensive room in another hotel. Must say this was delightful compared to where we would have had to stay. No money was refunded and when we phoned them to tell of our experience they were not interested. Not a good experience on our arrival in Hobart.

Room Tip: don't book any room! We arrived in the dark and left in the dark so not sure what the hotel look...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Dojohawk
We are very sorry you did not enjoy your stay This Review was published before new management has taken over Waterfront Lodge

Travellers are raving about these Hobart hotels

Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Highlight:
- No daily room service
- When i stayed, I placed the face towels & shower towels on the ground so it can be replaced with new clean towels, but the person who took care of my room put the dirty towels back on the shower rack and basin & didn't replace it (disgusting!) what the?!!!
- We ran out of toilet rolls, and it was never replaced!!!!!
- Unfriendly & unprofessional service!
- Price is too high for the service
(I personally think i should of paid $30 a night) it felt like i was staying in a dirty hostel in Kings Cross.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vanara C
Waterfront Lodge Prides it Service to our Guests I am Very sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay Waterfront lodge is under New Management .
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

Budget hotel, clean & quiet. Bed was fairly comfortable. Room has a heater or fan. Not far from Hobart City & a few minutes to the restaurants of New Town. Would stay again. Breakfast available which is cereal & toast $6 for a single $10 for a double.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Claire L, Manager at Waterfront Lodge Motel, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

Was initially pleased with the friendly staff when we checked in and the small but comfortable room. We booked 3 days and the first day we left a please clean room sign outside door and the room was done when we returned. The next day we left the please clean up room the sign was still on the door and room and not been touched. Dirty towels messy beds was not impressed. The couple who were travelling with us told us after they did not have any toiletpaper rolls since their arrival. When we returned the next day and there was no parking and had to drive the rental car to the neighboring paddock to park. Would not recommend to stay if u like clean rooms or like ample parking.

Stayed March 2014
We appreciate your feed back
Happy Travelling
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I just needed somewhere cheap to shower and sleep more than anything. This isn't the sort of hotel that you book for a week to enjoy the facilities. But for what I was after it suited quite well. I stayed in the one of the single rooms which appeared clean and recently renovated. The bathroom was better than expected given some of the other reviews that I've read. You would need a car to stay here I think - it's not that far from the city - one of the first major intersections after leaving the city on the Brooker Highway. Parking is a bit of an issue though as most guests have cars - the vacant block next door seems to serve as the overflow however it is a bit steep and treacherous. I also found the driveway entrance really steep and you had to be careful not to scrape the front of your car upon entry. As such I ended up just parking on the street both nights.

Doors did creak a bit upon entry but the worst bit for me was that the blinds didn't adequately keep out the light - lights also seem to stay on all night in the walkways so the room was never really dark - would be alright if you are a deep sleeper which alas I'm not. There was a kettle and coffee - small UHT milks in fridge. There was even some cutlery and a microwave. Toaster also. Nice flat screen TV - not that I really watched it.

The hotel for me was better than expected and just what I was after. $69 a night. There was a "credit card surcharge" though upon check-in but this only equated to a couple of dollars.

Room Tip: Top floor would have some sort of river view
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Hi There is a bus stop 100m down the road the buses take you into Hobart a taxi cost approx $12-$15 during the day
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hobart
Claremont Hotel Motel
Quest Trinity House
Quest Trinity House
#8 of 54 in Hobart
Best Western Balmoral Motor Inn

Been to Waterfront Lodge Motel? Share your experiences!