“Great experience”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Please note that this is a review of the branch at North Hobart and not Salamanca. We had a lovely experience here on a busy Friday night. Place was pretty full but the service was friendly and helpful and the food came surprisingly fast.

My husband thought his carbonara was average but I liked it. My seafood marinara was lovely and I would definitely order it again. My entree-sized portion was generous and I imagine the main-sized one would have been huge. The kids had spag bol which they raved about. We left feeling very satisfied and planned to return soon. Went back for lunch on a Monday but it was closed. Pity. Next time we're in Hobart, we'll definitely be going to La Porchetta in North Hobart.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

I did not enjoy my experience at La Porchetta. I found the service extremely rushed,the food is not traditional Italian. the seafood was disappointing, the pizza ordinary. I would not go again. However, I have to say the restaurant was very very busy,lots of families. I assume it is popular with people wanting a child friendly place. I found the whole thing "mass produced'. the décor was not reminiscent of any Italian restaurant It felt more like a fast food joint.The one thing that I found most disappointing was when I went to pay the bill the waiter actually asked me "did you want the change". To tell the truth I didn't want the change but I found his comment so insulting that I took the change. I would not go back .

Reviewed 16 February 2014

La Porchetta in North Hobart has always been one of my family's favourite restaurants. We visit this place sometimes as often as twice to thrice a fortnight.

Service has always been excellent and our food has always been timely and kitchen staff are very amenable. I have ordered some customised food without any problems at all.

Food is great - not fine dining great but definitely value for money. Great atmosphere for families with young children. My kids know the kids' menu activities by heart.

One thing we have noticed though - we try to go on quieter nights (ie, NOT on weekends) as the wait time can be slightly longer and the food portion slightly less! The quality can be a hit and miss on busy nights too - can't really blame the kitchen, I'm sure it'll be the same with many restaurants when it gets crowded.

La Porchetta North Hobart remains our all-time favourite family restaurant.

Reviewed 1 February 2014

It was a normal busy Friday night on Elizabeth Street so after being turned away from one busy Thai restaurant and finding others too expensive, we decided to settle for La Porchetta as we were all very hungry and had had previously great experiences with the franchises in Queensland.

There were plenty of free tables and we were seated and waited on quickly and by a friendly young man. The restaurant was surprisingly noisy for how few people were inside. When we arrived the store was bustling with staff but very suddenly it seemed there were very few and one couple behind us actually left because they sat for a long time without being served.

The food was OK - the Mushroom Fettuccine had a big piece of bacon in it (not ideal for a vegetarian), the Antipasto Pizza was way overcooked and the pasta dishes were not overly saucy and a little bland. It was nice to go out and spend time with family and friends but will probably cook pasta at home instead in the future.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

When in Hobart we always eat at La Porchetta in Salamanca. Last weekend we booked a table and as always received the best service and attention. The food choice is excellent and was more than we could eat. Having tried another Italian establishment the previous night, from where we were left very disappointed, this only proved that La Porchetta is the best! The staff are so professional and very friendly - thanks, we will be back on our next visit.