“The Most Beautiful Place”
Review of Myrtle Forest

Myrtle Forest
Ranked #55 of 136 things to do in Hobart
Hobart, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“The Most Beautiful Place”
Reviewed 18 May 2012

This is one of my favourite places to go for a walk, it is beautiful all year round. The air is so crisp and refreshing. I can't recommend it enough.

Visited May 2012
13 Thank Mattie S

Pacific Coast Australia, Australia
76 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 215 helpful votes
“Thinking of Myrtle”
Reviewed 20 December 2011

My destination was the semi-famous Myrtle Forest, only a few minutes up the road from where I was staying....supposedly. I took off up the steep windy hill on the Collinsvale Road and saw splendid views over the Derwent as I reached the crest. Saw the signs to the Myrtle Forest and followed them until I reached a T-intersection with no signs. Fortunately there's a loop road around Collinsvale, the village re-named from Bismarck sometime during WWI.
I went around the loop and decided I’d missed the turn completely and tried Fairy Glen Road, a short dirt affair that led me to Rustic Heaven, a collection of wooden shacks in various states of disrepair at its termination point.
Getting back on the tar I asked a local out for a walk and he directed me to the right location. Seems I’d been eyeing off an attractive wooden hut the first time and I’d missed the sign.
Up in the Myrtle Forest there are boards that tell you how the early settlers felled the trees under great hardship but you couldn’t help but wonder just how good it would be today if they hadn’t. There were moss laden fallen trunks everywhere and spectacular ferns thrusting up their new shoots and though there were quite a few big trees, the giants had gone. Through it all a stream splish-splashed its way over the ragged rocks and fallen limbs, creating a symphony for the wonderful palette that surrounded me. It’s only a short walk so you can spend lots of time getting my pictures right for a change.
There is a toilet at the original carpark but it's not a place for a picnic. The trails were easy and well marked so you should have no fear of getting lost.
If you like bushwalking, it's definitely worth the effort.

Visited November 2011