“Conference visit”
Review of Wrest Point

Ranked #14 of 47 Hotels in Hobart
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Recently stayed at Wrest Point across 2-nights in a tower room. Check-in for myself and my 2 colleagues went smoothly and as outlined in our booking 6+weeks ago, all 3 room charges were placed on the company credit card. This was confirmed upon check-in. Rooms were ok, but outdated. Shower cubicle too small and the shower head un-controllable. My room was more expensive than my 2 colleagues, despite being 3 rooms next to each other, although reception did correct this when I raised the matter after check-in.
Next morning I met with a client in one of the downstairs cafes, after standing in front of the employee behind the counter for 30 seconds, we were finally acknowledged and ordered a cappuccino and skinny latte - but we received a tuna sandwich and some milky substance meant to be a latte. This employee failed the minimal standards for customer service. Upon checking out after the 2-nights, one of my colleagues was requested to pay with their own credit card, and the receptionist stated there was no record of all 3 rooms being on the one credit card - again, customer service failure. Then when I proceeded to check out, and pay for all 3 rooms, reception advised the maximum I could charge to my debit card was $1,000, but the room totals were just under $1,200. Instead of just working with me, the 'guest' I had a receptionist who thought it more appropriate to argue.

Room Tip: Pick a room, although more expensive, facing the water.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
WrestPoint, Manager at Wrest Point, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Kirk, thanks for letting us know about your experience at Wrest Point and the inconsistencies with the service you recieved from some of the team. I was dissapointed to read your comments which have been relayed to the relevant managers to follow-up on, feedback such as yours allows us the opportunity to review our procedures and is extremely valuable so thank you again for passing these on.

Wrest Point

Write a ReviewReviews (1,155)

Reviewed 4 June 2014

From reception, level of accommodation, food quality and service found everything and everyone very professional and of high standard although carpeting in some areas is quite tired.
Would definitely stay again and highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience and it was great to hear you found the team to be so professional. We are constantly updating the carpets and decor so hopefully next time you visit there will a noticable change. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

This latest trip was my first time in Hobart for six years and I am pleased that I chose the Wrest Point for my stay. I had a room with a fabulous view; consistently friendly and helpful service from the moment I walked through the door; good food and great company.

Room Tip: Try the executive suites on level 15 - Room 1503 has a magnificent view of the city and bridge. Roo...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
WrestPoint, Manager at Wrest Point, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

It sounds like you had a great time so thanks for sharing this. The 15th floor Executive Suites are indeed spectacular and spacious and the views are amazing as you point out. Hopefully we can welcome you back some time soon (and before 6 years go past again).

Reviewed 29 May 2014

the service here was exceptional. the rooms were nice and had everything we needed, we had a nice view of the water on the side... a little old and tired feeling to it but a good place to stay for the price non the less. very close to the centre of Hobart and the ploaces to eat were great. not much of a casino gambling wise compared to the Crown etc.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Excellent service is what we are known for so thank you for the recognition of this, the team was thrilled to read your comments! It was nice to read that you feel it is a good place to stay - we like to think so also and are always updating the rooms and appreciate your comments in relation to their age. We continue to make improvements to the whole property and hopefully the next time you stay with us you will notice these.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

As regular travellers to Hobart Tasmania we thought we would splurge and stay at the upmarket 4.5 star Wrest Point Tower.

The staff were professional and friendly and our room on the 3rd floor of the tower had wonderful views overlooking Sandy Bay, the Derwent River with the Tasman Bridge in the distance.

The room was relatively small, with movable furniture being a desk, 2 chairs, tub chair, round table and queen bed. I had to move the table to access my side of the bed. One glass in the liquor cabinet was dirty and I left this out to be replaced when the room was serviced.

We dined in the Buffet for dinner and the same venue was used for breakfast. On both occasions, the variety of food was poor. I believed they should have focused more on local produce which is in abundance in Tasmania eg salmon, oysters, cheese and wines. and if this increased the cost of the dinner buffet, so be it. We paid $35.00 pp.

Overall we were rather disappointed in Wrest Point.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts about Wrest Point and I was dissapointed to read we did not live up to your expectations. On a positive note I was pleased to hear the team was professional and friendly and that the views were wonderful. The food offering in the buffet is always evolving so thankyou for your suggestions, we take all feedback very seriously and will look to make some adjustments shortly.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

A nice hotel experience just outside the town centre. If you're looking for a proper hotel in Hobart, this is one of the few options. Overall clean and in a nice location next to the water, nothing particularly remarkable though.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank AnyaNZ

Thanks for your review Anya and for pointing our Wrest Point's great location on the water, the views are indeed amazing up and down the river. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

The last time I visited this property it was tired and in need of a refurb. I recently visited the hotel on business and was pleasantly surprised with the newly refurbished rooms. They were very spacious and comfortable. I travel a lot on business and it is difficult to sleep when you are away from home. I slept really well at this hotel as the bed was very comfortable. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and the food in the restaurants for both dinner and breakfast were very nice. Lovely views from the room. Overall a very good hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

It was great to read your comments Rosie and I am glad you enjoyed your recent visit. We have made numerous improvements over the past 12 months so it was nice to recieve recognition for all of the hard work our housekeeping and maintenance teams have done. The team are all very customer focused so it was good to hear you enjoyed our service too.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Kind Regards